Well how did that happen? I just realized that I accidentally skipped my November Random Thoughts post. I’m betting I was too distracted with the new site launch. Oh well. It happens. But today, I’m back with another installation! Feel free to share your own random thoughts in the comments.
– On Friday, I did a Facebook Live Broadcast. If you’d like to see it, I’ll embed it here, or you can watch it on Facebook. Several people have written to me to ask if I could upload the Facebook Live Broadcasts as podcasts. I’m intrigued by the idea, but don’t have an answer for you yet. If you have an opinion on what you prefer — video or podcast — I’d love to hear.
– I talk a bit about the Oakland GhostShip Fire in the FB broadcast. And as I’ve been reading about the fire, I realized I’m a little numb emotion-wise. The amount of sadness in my head has definitely gone up in the last month (in good part because of election aftermath) and I feel like I might be lingering on the fringes of another deep depression. It’s time to talk to my doctor about the dosage of my current medicine. To anyone else battling depression right now — I know it can get worse for many people when winter sets in — please don’t hesitate asking for and getting help.
– Maude Blair will be home from Paris in just 8 days! Not that I’m counting. : ) We’re so excited to have her home. This will be the first Christmas that we won’t have all the kids with us, which will be strange, and I know I’ll appreciate having Maude home all the more. Plus, she can drive! It’s so helpful to have a 3rd person who can run errands.
– Things we have asked Maude to bring home from France: hot cocoa mix, Orangina candies. And that’s it! I was sort of surprised by that fact, but I realized that much of what I love from France, I can now get online.
– This week, I have a high workload for Alt Summit. Lots of brain work, and hundreds of small decisions to be made. I find the work challenging but also satisfying. Sometimes I think I should shift the dates of the conference till the Spring, so that it’s not hanging over me during the holidays. I need to think about that.
– I took a semi-break from Facebook, at least on my personal page, over the last month or so, but I started sharing there again last week. I’m having mixed feelings about it. I’ve realized there are some relationships in my life that are strengthened by Facebook and others that are weakened by Facebook, and that it’s not necessary to follow or to even be Facebook Friends with everyone I know in real life. But I realize everyone uses Facebook differently (if they use it at all).
Some people read updates and articles but don’t comment or interact much. Others use it just to stay in daily touch with close friends and family. Others use it to discuss current events (raises my hand!). Others only use it for professional reasons. Others prefer only lighthearted or comic posts and steer clear of anything serious. Still others use it as their main news source. I’d love to hear how you use Facebook.
– On Saturday, I posted a link to an article about Russia interfering with our elections. I appears to be a true bipartisan issue that concerns people across the political spectrum. Another country messing with the U.S. elections? The fact confirmed by the CIA? I can hardly believe it. I know many people, no matter what their political beliefs, are very upset about this, and upset that the information was withheld from the public. I wonder if the response to the issue could end up being a unifying event for our country. What are your thoughts? Are you following the story?
– Today, I’m trying to get Hamilton tickets. I’m number 79,414 in line. Not joking. Apparently, all of San Francisco is trying to get tickets. Hah! Olive got really into Hamilton about a year ago, and now all her younger siblings have all the songs memorized too. Have you heard of it? My kids talk about it so much, that I assume the show is common knowledge, but last week I met 3 people who had never heard of it. So now I can’t tell how widely known it is. And hey, if you happen to have an extra ticket you want to sell, let me know.
– The house is 99% ready for Christmas. The decorations are out, the lights are up and it’s looking very festive. Oscar suggested the addition of a couple of poinsettias under the entry table (he’s right, they would look great there), but other than that, I think we’re good to go. Now my attention is turning to gifts. I’ve shipped off anything that needs to be shipped, but I’m only about 30% done on gifts under the tree. For some reason, I’m feeling like I have extra time to shop this year. I think it’s because the kids don’t have school next week, so we have a whole week with a flexible schedule. How about you? Are you done with your holiday prep? Do your kids have next week off?
– I’m in a purging phase and am selling off some furniture we no longer need — a coffee table, a wicker dresser, the big red industrial storage bin shelves from the office. I haven’t sold stuff in awhile. What do you guys use these days? Craig’s List? Chairish? Has anyone tried the FB marketplace? I’m out of practice. Would love your tips/advice!
I think that’s it for now. Please feel free to respond to anything here, or bring up your own topic. I always love hearing what’s on your minds!