I find books by scouring my local hotspots and discovering titles at random, but sometimes I hear about a book that sounds so awesome… so amazing… so grand that I just have to have it right that moment or I will DIE. A friend will tell me about a great book August doesn’t possess, and it will eat me alive until I have it in my hand and am reading it aloud to him.
Here are just a few of the titles that in past moments have made me insane with greed. Perhaps they will spark a flame, and you too can lose sleep thinking about all the books out there that some child other that your own is enjoying.
1) Switch on the Night by Ray Bradbury, pictures by Madeleine Gekiere
2) The Crows of Pearblossom by Aldous Huxley, by Barbara Cooney
3) The Tyger Voyage by Richard Adams, pictures by Nicola Bayley
4) Grandpa’s Farm by James Flora
5) The Circus Baby by Maud and Miska Petersham
1) D’Aulaire’s Book of Animals by Ingri and Edgar Parin d’Aulaire
2) Zoo by Bruce Minari
3) Summer by Alice Low, pictures by Roy McKie
4) The Red Balloon by Albert Lamorisse
5) A Very Special House by Ruth Krauss, pictures by Maurice Sendak
You can join me in my obsession daily at Vintage Kids’ Books My Kid Loves… but be warned. It is contagious.
— by Guest Mom Burgin Streetman