Hello, Friends. How are you? How was your week? In Oakland, big stuff is happening. Our Oakland teachers went on strike yesterday, and the citizens are overwhelmingly in support. Parents and kids are joining the picket lines. There was a massive rally and march yesterday. Churches and libraries have opened their doors for Solidarity Schools — places where families who want to support the strike but who don’t have access to childcare, can send their kids. Our famed Grand Lake Theater is running $1 movies for kids all day long, with $1 popcorn too.
We don’t know how long the strike will go on. It could be short — the recent teacher strikes in L.A. and Denver only lasted a few days. Or it could be long — Oakland has had teacher strikes in the past that went for 8 weeks.
Our four youngest are in Oakland Public Schools and we are fully supporting the strike. Yesterday, we rallied and picketed. Oscar was handed the bullhorn and lead chants and cheers. Olive helped lead out the march. This afternoon we’ll go picket some more. My sister-in-law Liz has been one of the big Solidarity School organizers. My friend Meg Conley wrote a piece about the strike on Medium.
Have you ever had a teacher strike in your community? If yes, what was it like for you? Did you get involved?
Ready for some weekend reading? Here are a few things I’ve wanted to share with you:
– Have you been following the Jeffrey Epstein story? He’s a child molester who was given a sweetheart deal by federal prosecutors. I was happy to see, that after 11 years, there’s an initial victory for the molested girls.
– Related, serious charges have been brought against R. Kelly. Finally.
– Apparently dolphins inhale puffer fish toxins to get high.
– This bummed me out. Due to a 2-person GOP majority in the House, ERA ratification is now dead in Virginia.
– Related, on the critical reconsideration of Andrea Dworkin. (NYT)
– Happy. Someone sold their VHS player on eBay and got a surprise letter in the mail.
– Once hailed as unhackable, blockchains are now getting hacked.
– I’ve had a sample of AquaReveal face peel for maybe a year, and I finally tried it, and I LOVE IT. You put it on a dry clean face, massage it in, and it sort-of collects all the dead skin. Then you rinse it off and your skin feels so good and fresh. The only down side? I just went to order a full size container and found out they are pricey.
– It took us 25 years to realize we were wrong about Lorena Bobbitt.
– I enjoyed this New Yorker interview with Jane Curtain.
– An article about Facebook and friendship. “One can keep track of 15 close friends, and 50 pretty close friends. Expanding out from the 150 casual friends, this research suggests that the brain can handle 500 acquaintances, and 1,500 is the absolute limit — “the number of faces we can put names to,” Dunbar writes.”
– Two dozen gay priests share stories of their lives in the Catholic closet. (NYT)
– Your favorite makeup tip was probably invented by a drag queen.
– Will you be watching the Oscar’s this weekend?
I hope you have a good weekend. I’ll meet you back here on Sunday. I miss you already.