Hello, Friends. How are you? How was your week? We had lots of fun things this happening this week. June’s pinewood derby car — shaped like the Eiffel Tower — was the third fastest of the night, and awarded the prize for “most ooh-la-la.” We had a sweet and simple Valentine’s Day breakfast for the kids yesterday morning. And last night, Attorney Olive Blair, argued her mock trial case for the last time.
How about you? Do you have a 3-day weekend ahead of you? Are you still in the middle of an intense winter? I’m looking forward to the weekend. I like working on email on Saturday or Sunday because my inbox stays quiet and it feels like I’m making progress. (When I tackle a lot of email during the week, people respond immediately — which is totally understandable — but I end up with more messages than I started with. Hah!)
In the mood for some good weekend reading? Here are a few things I’ve wanted to share:
– This article gutted me. “To be a girl in #Guatemala is a risk, it’s been this way for generations.” (NYT)
– The Secret History of Women in Coding and how women went from programming pioneers, to struggling to even participate, in less than a generation. (NYT)
– Related, inspired by Hidden Figures, a team of researchers scoured the acknowledgements of old genetics papers and uncovered the names of many women programmers, who made important contributions but were never given authorship.
– “Nearly 25% of mothers go back to work within two weeks of giving birth. To give you a sense of where human mothers fall on the legal protection hierarchy, it’s illegal to separate a dog from her newborn pups before eight weeks in several states.”
– Laugh/cry. On States of Emergency. (WP)
– Gun owners who fail to lock up their weapons are inadvertently arming the very criminals they’re trying to defend against. 240,000 guns are stolen each year. Police say firearms are “one of the most desired objects” for thieves, even more than jewelry.
– It’s been so rainy that I’ve decided to buy a yellow umbrella to cut through the grey (23 bucks and great reviews).
– Russia trolls have been ‘spreading vaccination misinformation‘ to create discord.
– An Ohio city is ditching Columbus Day to make Election Day a paid holiday. Let’s do this everywhere!
– An encyclopedic reference of the worlds logos, categorized by theme and business type.
I hope you have a wonderful weekend. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.