Hello, friends. How are you? Happy February! All this extreme weather has me worried about everyone. The U.S. is seeing record low temperatures. Australia is seeing record high temperatures. I hope wherever you are you’re safe, and have the supplies you need.
We’ve had a busy, full week at our house. Olive is leading a school walkout today to support public school teachers here in Oakland. Oscar & Betty are performing in a play tonight — Stellaluna. Betty plays Stellaluna and Oscar plays the Bat/Narrator. The biggest time consumer for me this week was launching the Alt Summit App! It’s for attendees, but you can check out the schedule and attendees on the web version here. It was a huge undertaking — we’ve never done an app before!
Another project this week? I’m the keynote speaker at a Mormon-Feminist Retreat this weekend at Point Bonita in the Golden Gate National Recreation Area, and I’ve been working on my talk. Really, I’ve been working on it for a long time, so this week was mostly just putting it altogether.
How about you? Any fun projects this week? Anything you’re looking forward to this weekend? In the mood for some reading? Here are a few things I’ve wanted to share with you:
– Many women who are the breadwinners in their families face a choice: skip work, or face jail if anything happens to your child in someone else’s care.
– Hah! My Oscar picks, based on movies I actually saw in theaters last year.
– New research shows that users who turned off Facebook 1) Knew less about current events and political news. 2) Became significantly less politically polarized in their views on issues.
– Paris wants to become the Sustainable Capital Of Fashion by 2024.
– “Essentially what we have is a health-care system that gaslights women – that doesn’t believe women and their reports of pain.”
– Meet the man behind a third of what’s on Wikipedia.
– Ugh. “What’s happened to our park in the last 34 days is irreparable for the next 200 to 300 years.”
– Valentine’s Day is two weeks away, here are lots of fun ideas.
– Do you use matches or a lighter for your candles. I tend to use matches but am thinking about this lighter.
– #Metoo at Davos. “One has to wonder: Do these men not trust the women, or do they not trust themselves?” (NYT)
– Go vegan and you could win concert tix for life from Beyoncé.
– The happiest thing to happen on the internet this week.
I hope you have a happy weekend. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.