Hello, Friends! How was your week? We’ve had a good one. It felt very holiday to me. Concerts, parties, gift shopping — and yesterday we had our family photo shoot. The first one in over two years! I saw the photos this morning and they are STUNNING. I can’t wait to share them with you. I’m planning a post for Monday. And I also get to order our Christmas cards now. I know we’re tight on time, so maybe I’ll make them New Year’s Cards. : ) Also yesterday, Ben Blair and I went to a secret dance party. I have not been dancing in quite a while and had such a fantastic time.
This weekend, Oscar is headed to a birthday party, Betty has a clarinet recital, Olive is attending a performance of the Nutcracker with her friends (any excuse to dress up!), we have two more Christmas parties, Ben is headed to Utah for our niece’s wedding, and while he’s there, he’ll also get to celebrate my wonderful Mother-in-law’s birthday with his siblings. Doesn’t that sounds like a festive snapshot of any two days in December? Hah!
How about you? How are you feeling about the holidays? Have you reached a saturation point yet? Or are you still enjoying Christmas songs, and scenting your house with cinnamon? While you think about your holiday-status, here are a few things I’ve wanted to share:
– We focus on outliers and ignore systemic injustice. “The American dream relies on stories like mine to distract from the American reality: There is a conveyor belt that sends most young people, especially from neighborhoods like mine, from nothing to nowhere.” (NYT)
– This made me smile: Jason Momoa performed a haka dance at the Aquaman premiere.
– The Camp fire took my home. Now I understand that no one ends up sleeping under an overpass by choice.
– Have you ever been bumped from a flight? It’s a practice that may be ending.
– How many gifts do your kids get for Christmas?
– Have we turned a corner on gun control? “Gun control may turn out to be like the politics of same-sex marriage: Once almost unimaginable, until it wasn’t. It’s already hard to recall why society was so polarized about it.” (I agree! And have written similar thoughts.)
– How thinking positively about strangers can make your life better.
– Need a boys’ suit? We bought this one for Oscar this week and are super impressed. You get the pants, vest, jacket, shirt, tie, and pocket square. The suit is lined. The pant’s waist is adjustable. We love it.
– Hah! Terms and Conditions for Telling Me About Your Day. (NYT)
– A remarkable thread about Dollar Stores.
– Comparing the U.S. and U.K. covers for the same books.
I hope you have a wonderful weekend. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.