Hello friends. How are you? How was your week? I laughed today when I realized that we’ve already experienced many of our Christmas traditions — and December doesn’t even start till tomorrow. So strange! When November starts on a Thursday, then Thanksgiving falls a week early, and I can’t decide if I like it or not. Do you have an opinion on this?
The way the calendar falls this year also means that my kids are in school until the 21st, and we don’t go back to school until January 7th. It makes me wonder: Do I prefer my kids having days off before Christmas? Or after New Year’s Day?
This weekend we have the last three Scrooge performances, and we’re thinking about getting our Christmas tree. Ben Blair and I will probably attempt a late night date — maybe some Christmas shopping. We were hoping to get family photos this weekend too, but realized at the last minute that Ralph was headed out of town for work. So we’ll make another attempt next weekend. We haven’t had a family photo shoot in two years, and really want to get one done and then send out holiday cards.
How about you? Anything fun happening? Here are a few things I’ve wanted to share:
– Hah! This was written in 1997, before I became a parent, and this is the first time I’ve ever read it. Maybe me laugh! And made me wonder what other gems about parenting I missed before I became one.
– An interesting take on Sheryl Sandburg, leaning in, and the Facebook scandal. (NYT)
– I love this short article about Mannheim Steamroller. “For me, it slots neatly alongside such prized cultural artifacts as “Game of Thrones” and Dungeons & Dragons: at first, it requires some intellectual acrobatics to enjoy, but its pleasures are deep, weird, and pure.”
– Seismic waves rippled around the entire planet for 20 minutes on November 11th — yet no people appear to have felt them.
– Two years after losing the headphone jack, I’m here to remind everyone that life is still terrible without it.
– With Ivanka Trump’s use of private email currently in the news, here’s a review of how HRC’s email use became such a defining issue in the 2016 election.
– This winter is going to be long, snowy, and very cold, according to the Farmers’ Almanac.
– If a man is insecure about this manhood, is he more likely to support Trump? “We found that support for Trump in the 2016 election was higher in areas that had more searches for topics such as ‘erectile dysfunction.'” (WP)
– Can’t get your hands on avocados lately? Here’s why.
– A comprehensive Action Plan for anyone looking to help the migrants and refugee families at our border.
– Related, why Colombia has taken in 1 million Venezuelans.
– How much would you pay for a bundle of sticks?
I hope you have a wonderful weekend. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.
P.S. — We took the family to see the new Wreck-It Ralph movie on Tuesday (our favorite Oakland theater has $5 buck Tuesdays!), and we’re still laughing about it. It’s funny and fun, and as we left we observed that if we watched it 10 years ago, almost nothing would make sense, and if kids watch it 10 years in the future, it will probably be irrelevant. The world is changing so fast!