Hello, Friends. How are you? Our big news: Ralph is home!
What a wonderful, emotional reunion. Tears and giggling and huge grins. Because he knows how to make an entrance, during the last few minutes of the flight, he put on bright yellow head-to-toe rain gear. Hah! He says in Bogota, whenever it rains, all the motorcycle riders put on this same rain gear, and he had been wanting to buy a set his whole mission, and finally went for it. : )
Our cousins (Jordan’s family and Liz’s family) came to the airport to help welcome him home. We made signs and brought Colombian flags. After we found his bags, we all gathered at our house to hang out and just be with Ralph. We had a birthday cake for him and a few presents, and he showed us all the fun stuff he brought back from Colombia.
Yesterday morning (Friday) we headed straight to Yosemite. (I actually tried to publish this post from the road, but I haven’t had internet access till this morning — I forgot how spotty it is around here.) We’ll be here over the weekend, and then we’ll spend a few days in Southern California.
I can’t tell you what a treat it is to have all my children in one place. It feels like everything has been put back together again. Throughout the drive I kept looking back at the two full rows of seats and grinning, or snapping photos, or capturing video. Who knew the only thing I wanted out of life was to have all my kids in the car singing songs from Moana? (Whenever I get a few bars of internet, I’ve been uploading to Instagram Stories if you’d like to see peeks from our weekend.)
I hope you have a wonderful weekend. I know many of you have Monday off for Labor Day, and I hope you get to spend it with the people you love. (Need grilling help? Try these Flank Steak Sandwiches.)
Before I sign off, here are a few things I’ve wanted to share:
– After reporting suicidal thoughts, Stanford students say they were required to immediately withdraw from all classes, programs and housing. To return to campus, they had to write personal statements “accepting blame” for their behavior. (NYT)
– How I feel about Louis CK’s attempt to return to the comedy stage.
– Why you shouldn’t open a restaurant, featuring a chef who talks about fatherhood and the price his family paid because of his career. (Podcast + transcript.)
– Former vice president Joe Biden’s emotional eulogy at the memorial service for Senator John McCain,
– Pink Cadillacs at Aretha Franklin’s funeral.
– 94 percent of the 148 women interviewed, all of whom identified as American Indian or Alaska Native, reported they had been raped or were coerced into sex at least once in their lives.
– The end of the Village Voice. I was totally shocked by this news.
– Some insight into how false stories can thrive on right wing media and fail in left wing media.
– Thinking about taking your kids on a college tour?
– The Web Design Museum — 800 websites that show design trends between 1996 and 2005.
– Data seems to show the free speech crisis on campus is a fabrication.
– Hah! What do DJs, Preachers, Bank Robbers, and Moms have in common?
I hope you have a wonderful weekend. I’ll meet you back here next week. I miss you already.