Hello, Friends. How are you? How was your week? I had a good one. I was in Chicago on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. It was a really terrific trip and I’m looking forward to telling you more about it.
Other things that are happening at our house: Ralph gets home from Colombia on Thursday!! Maude started classes on Wednesday — I think it’s her best class schedule so far, but she’s still crossing her fingers that she can get into a creative writing class. She also found an apartment, and will be moving in around September 1st. Olive’s birthday is on Saturday. To celebrate, she invited friends to spend the afternoon at SFMOMA (then pizza and movies at our house). We’ve had some exciting work done in our yard — I need to take pics and show you! And the work makes us want to do more work, so we’ve planned a big yard cleanup day tomorrow.
I feel like the next couple of weeks are going to be fairly intense. There are birthdays and some fun prep before Ralph gets home. And after Ralph gets home, we’re taking a family trip. Then, on September 9th, Ralph will report about his mission in church, and June will get baptized the same day. We’ll also host an open house to celebrate, and we have lots of relatives and friends coming to town. The Alt Summit Call for Speakers opens up on September 1st — and it’s a new format this year — so I’m also preparing for that as well.
I found myself sort of mentally gearing up this morning. I’m going to need to keep my energy high for several weeks. But it’s all stuff I’m looking forward to. So I feel good about it.
How about you? How is your late summer/early fall shaping up? In case you need some food for thought, here are a few things I’ve wanted to share:
– I don’t really follow beauty Youtubers at all, but I found this glimpse into the drama happening in their community really interesting. What do we do with our past digital selves? (WP)
– “I Just Hacked a State Election. I’m 17. And I’m Not Even a Very Good Hacker.”
– Do Men Enter Bathtubs on Hands and Knees? Definitely the most bizarre, funniest article I’ve read in awhile.
– The Myth of Watergate Bipartisanship. (NYT)
– It’s National Waffle Day!
– A graceful response to a question about kneeling during the National Anthem.
– Eighties Earrings. I ordered these for Olive’s Birthday.
– “Bad health care has killed more American artists than I could list here without my fingers falling off.”
– Reasons To Be Cheerful — a website by David Byrne.
I hope you have the best weekend. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.
P.S. — Ralph shot and edited this video: