Hello, Friends. How are you? Did you have a good week?
There is so much on my mind these days — I think I’m going to feel like I’m treading water this whole month, you know? The biggest thing is that school starts on Monday. I can hardly believe it. This summer went by unusually fast! I would not be sad if we had several more weeks of summer break.
We’ve been having our back-to-school mom + kid dates (June was Wednesday, Betty was Thursday, Oscar is today, and Olive is tomorrow). Maude is on the hunt for an apartment near campus — her classes start on the 22nd. And we placed orders for a couple of backpacks. The kids are at their last swim team practice as I type this, and the final swim meet is this weekend. Summer is really coming to and end.
Another big thing: my sister Jordan is on the cover of Parent’s Magazine!! And she’s looking FABULOUS. The photo shoot for the cover took a full day and involved a big crew. Jordan shared the behind the scenes details on her Instagram Stories and they’re so good — she said there was one person with the sole job of running the wind machine for her hair. Hah! Go buy a copy so you can see Jordan’s gorgeous house too.
One more big thing, also related to my sister Jordan: I’m headed to New York on Tuesday for the Color Factory NYC Opening Party. (You can buy tix for Color Factory NYC here.) I’ve been getting some sneak peeks and holy cow it’s going to be awesome.
Jordan has worked her butt off for the last decade, and it’s so fantastic to see some of her biggest visions coming to life. It’s really fun to be related to someone who thinks on such a grand scale.
Can you tell I’m feeling some big sister pride today? How about you? What’s on your schedule? Anything you’re excited about?
To keep you company this weekend, here are a few things I’ve been wanting to share:
– War without end. The Pentagon’s failed campaigns in Iraq and Afghanistan left a generation of soldiers with little to fight for but one another. (NYT)
– This new walking bridge in Vietnam is held up by a giant pair of hands.
– Did this unassuming small-town couple steal a $160 million Willem de Kooning painting? (It was found hanging in their bedroom after they died.)
– One man’s idea for handling 14 tons of poop left behind by climbers on Mt. Everest. (WP)
– We just ordered this backpack for June (the second one, grey with stripes). I think the pattern options are great, and it comes with a matching lunchbox and pencil case too.
– Territorial maps of indigenous nations in the Americas, Australia and New Zealand.
– The internet does not hate women. People hate women, and the internet allows them to do it faster, harder, and with impunity.
– Egypt is set to open its first solar farm — and it’s the largest in the world.
– What are your thoughts on cosmetic procedures?
– Smoke from California’s monstrous wildfires has reached the East Coast.
– This made me happy. A thread of animals that look like wizards.
I hope you have an excellent weekend. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.