Hello, Friends. How are you? How was your week? I’m wearing orange for Gun Violence Awareness Day. You too? I’m not wearing the dress pictured above today, but this is definitely my best orange outfit photo. : )
We have a few fun things on the schedule for this weekend; we’re hosting a Cousin’s Sleepover tonight, sending off the last package to Ralph in Colombia, and Olive is headed to a Quinceañera tomorrow. But mostly, I want a home-based weekend where we tackle some yard work, and clean the house. We’re thinking about listing our house for the first time on Airbnb, and we might attempt that this weekend as well.
How about you? Are you headed to any graduation ceremonies? Is it the last day of school for you? Ours is next Thursday, so we’re almost there!
I have a particularly good set of links for you this week. Here are a few things I’ve been wanting to share:
– How Alexandra Bell is disrupting racism in journalism. So important. I can’t stop thinking about this article — definitely watch the video if you click through.
– Did you read this story about New York socialite Anna Delvey? I found it fascinating.
– “The research suggests that when intolerant white people fear democracy may benefit marginalized people, they abandon their commitment to democracy.” Well, crap.
– Brené Brown on The Midlife Unraveling.
– For sure the most disturbing story I read all week. Congressional candidate in Virginia admits he’s a pedophile.
– A third of New Yorkers are looking to move out of the city. But it’s not just New York. according to a new report, people across the country lacking affordable housing are fleeing to less expensive cities.
– Related, I had a request to feature more Living With Kids home tours with homes in the $150,000 range. I would love that! The first home we bought, about 3 years into our marriage cost $115,000. And it was the cutest. Do you live in a place with affordable real estate? Please reach out and share your home with us.
– “I’ve spent a decade studying Latin American countries where abortion is illegal. Nobody is happy with the result.” (NYT)
– Do you have a favorite side of the bed?
– It’s Pride Month. Dibs on the rainbow socks.
– Yikes. Becoming rich and powerful actually damages the empathy parts of your brain in such a way that you are physically less capable of caring about other people.
– Heartwarming. This reporter was asked to cover a Guinness world record attempt for tallest stack of waffles. She expected it to be a big commercial thing, but turns out it was just at a guy’s house.
– On objective measures, men and women are evaluated similarly. On subjective ones, not even close.
– This free app uses smartphones to connect blind people with sighted people when they need some quick help — like checking an expiration date on a carton of milk. Very cool.
I hope you have the best weekend. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.