Hello, Friends. How are you? How was your week? My kids have school off today (except Betty), so we’re having a readathon to kick off the four-day weekend. We made a late-night Target run and filled our cart with junk food (think: bagel bites, poppers, potato chips). We’re snacking and lounging and reading and generally having a chill day.
I should be in a really good mood, but it’s hard not to be upset by the headlines right now, you know? The news stories that have come out this week about immigrant families being separated are horrifying — parents aren’t even told where their children are, and they are kept apart for months at a time. I think I would go insane.
This immigration headline blows my mind: the government has lost 1475 migrant children. Also, migrants are now required to wear yellow wristbands? For real? And this report details a long list of allegations from 2014 of migrant children being beaten, kicked and threatened with sexual abuse by our border patrol — allegations that still haven’t been dealt with; apparently this kind of border patrol behavior has only gotten worse as immigration has tightened up, with no improvement in protocols to prevent it. What is going on?
To my readers who have immigration reform high on your list of priorities, are you seeing these stories? Are they as upsetting to you as they are to me? What is your take? Do these stories look different from your point of view? For those people wanting to help, there are ideas in this thread.
Speaking of current headlines, here are a few things I’ve been wanting to share:
– Criminal charges against Harvey Weinstein are finally happening.
– These parents went to court to get their 30-year-old son to move out.
– Dying over these giant geode wall pieces. They seem like they would be so rad to make.
– The commentary on the NFL kneeling penalty that was just announced has been excellent. Here is Michelle Beadle making a ton of sense.
– And here’s a good op-ed from the Washington Post — It’s time to cancel the NFL and its plantation-style politics.
– Olive and Maude spotted this swimsuit at Target last night, and we are really digging it. It was in the Americana section, but feels reminiscent of the French flag.
– 8th graders figured out how to turn styrofoam into activated carbon water filters.
– When you watch a Netflix documentary and find out your parents met in a cult.
– What’s your least favorite flower?
– Can Americans ditch guns the way we ditched cigarettes? (WP)
– There is no reliable blood test, no imaging scan, no urine dip to diagnose endometriosis. 1 in 10 women are plagued by the disease, and often find their stories doubted.
I hope you have a really good weekend. I hope you get the chance to do something lovely to mark Memorial Day — Oscar’s Scout troop is participating in a “Lost Boat Ceremony” on the U.S.S. Pampanito that day. I’m looking forward to it. I’ll meet you back here next week. I miss you already.