Hello Friends. How are you? Ready for the weekend? My niece Lindsey is here with a couple of her roommates — it’s spring break at their university. Lindsey finished a Mormon mission to Japan in November, so while we sightsee tomorrow, I’m going to suggest we include a visit to Japantown in San Francisco, plus 3 Japanese stores I know she misses — Muji, Daiso and Uniqlo. One of her friends has never been to California before, so I also want to do all the most touristy, recognizable things too.
It’s also St. Patrick’s Day tomorrow! Do you do anything fun to celebrate? Our own celebrations are usually food-related. Maybe we’ll eat Corned Beef & Cabbage, or classic Shepherd’s Pie, or these kid-friendly clover-shaped Pinwheel Sandwiches. Or, we might just dye our milk green. : )
Here a few things I’ve collected for you this week. I think you’ll really them:
– A tribute to the women we were supposed to hate in some of our favorite movies.
– Thousands of working New Yorkers are living in homeless shelters.
– Scott Kelly spent a year in space and now he has different DNA than his identical twin brother.
– Do you kids love action figures? See you can come up with scenarios like these.
– National Geographic confronts its past history of racist coverage.
– How evangelicals, once culturally confident, became an anxious minority seeking political protection from the least traditionally religious president in living memory. (I think a lot of Mormons can be included here too.)
– There is always a way to solve problems without using violence.
– Postal-service workers are shouldering the burden for Amazon.
– I want to go to the ocean and fly kites. Dang there are so many cool ones these days!
I hope you have a really, really good weekend. I truly appreciate all the good conversations this week. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.