Photo and text by Gabrielle.
Hello, Friends. Happy Friday! How are you? Are you ready for Halloween yet? Any costume parties or activities this weekend, or are you saving your Halloween festivities till Monday? We’ve got Trunk or Treat on Saturday afternoon, and there’s a fall festival at the elementary school on Saturday morning. It’s been rainy this week (always a plus in our drought-ridden state), but it’s supposed to clear up for the weekend.
I still haven’t started Oscar’s Rubik’s Cube costume, but it’s the next thing on my list, so I’d better be off! Before I go, here are a few things I’ve wanted to share:
– Here’s the Facebook Live broadcast I made yesterday. I discuss a whole bunch of things, including updates on Ralph and Maude, and what it’s like making friends as a grownup, and fun things I found in Japantown (like the printed gift envelopes above). Even if you’re not on Facebook, you can watch it. And if you have comments about it, or topics you’d like me to cover in the future, let me know!
– If women wrote men the way men write women.
– Thin slices of joy. I’m intrigued.
– The original emoji set was added to the MOMA collection.
– A 6-year-old girl and a male fetus were killed in a car crash. The compensation for the fetus was much higher.
– I’m way into these traditional Ukrainian flower crowns.
– How to use Princess Leia and Jabba the Hutt to teach hard concepts (like human trafficking and consent) to little kids.
– Like a Warby Parker for kids. Thanks, Ann.
– A fable about sexism at work.
– In France, it’s now illegal to email employees after work hours.
– Does happiness make us less creative?
– Mental illness is not a horror show. (NYT)
– You never know what you’ll find on Craig’s List.
I hope you have a spooky October weekend! Sending solidarity vibes to any of you working on last-minute costumes. I’m right there with you. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.