Photo and text by Gabrielle.
Very late last night I posted the photo above on Instagram. I wanted to wish France a Happy Bastille Day before I went to bed. I love seeing the proud flags flying over William the Conquerer’s fortress in Caen. (You probably recognize the French flag. The other one is red with two yellow lions. It was William the Conquerer’s flag, and now I believe it’s considered the Normandy region’s flag.)
A few minutes after posting the image, Ralph told me about the breaking news in Nice. A big white truck ran over people as it rushed into a celebratory crowd, then the driver started shooting. 84 people killed. Bastille Day fireworks had just wrapped up.
Is this how it’s going to be? On Fridays, we’ll wake up in mourning, then distract ourselves with links? I’m feeling despondent today and I need to stop writing before I bring us all down. I think I’m going to stay away from the news as much as possible this weekend. Maybe we’ll go to the beach. I don’t know. I’m really sad. I’m sure you are too. The sadness keeps adding up, the cumulation of some hard emotional weeks.
Before I go, here are a few things I’ve been wanting to share.
– I’ve had 6 babies, 2 with epidurals. What’s your take on this? (NYT)
– Pardoning all marijuana convictions — I feel like we need to do something similar in the U.S.
– “Sociopathy is more prevalent than schizophrenia or anorexia.”
– The difference between competence and confidence, and why so many incompetent men become leaders.
– Bro-talk on Wall Street. Ugh.
– 10 insights from remarkable parents.
– Everything we eat is a scam. Sometimes food is so hard.
– This is cool. Meet the first artificial animal.
– Don’t hit on girls who are paid to be nice to you.
– Still thinking about this one. What an hour of emotion makes clear.
Please take care of yourselves this weekend. Let’s try to put some kindness and goodness out in the world. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.
P.S. — We had a trip planned to the South of France this week. 3 nights in Marseille and 4 nights in Nice. We’ve never been to the south of France and we were looking forward to exploring. We ended up having to reschedule the trip at the last minute because of transportation issues. Would we have been there watching the fireworks?