Photo and text by Gabrielle.
Hello, Friends! How are you? How was your week? Ben Blair and the 5 oldest arrived home around late last night (delayed flight), exhausted but happy. Another terrific Cousins Week under their belts! They are sleeping in (as they should be), but when they wake up, we will be in full prep mode for our big summer trip to France.
While they sleep in, I’m heading to my stylist for a trim and a color (just my roots, nothing fancy). This is the last possible appointment I could get before the trip — my stylist put it on the calendar two months ago so that I wouldn’t forget. She knows me so well! We’re hoping my cut will last for the whole two months so I don’t have to worry about it while I’m there. And she’s sending me with some hair color so that I can touch up my roots myself. She’s the best!
The rest of the prep will mostly be laundry and packing and cleaning the house. Plus a handful of errands. And then a few tasks that I haven’t remembered yet. I’m feeling quite calm about the whole thing, but it’s very possible that I’m fooling myself and will panic sometimes between now and Monday afternoon. : )
I’m off to my appointment now, but before I go, here are a few things I’ve wanted to share:
– This poem is beautiful and has me crying really hard.
– Read this for sure. I was never raped, but…
– Cute! Grandma’s well-mannered searches.
– Turns out many brands that market exclusively to women have few or no women among their executives or on their boards.
– I’m pretty sure I’ve shared this before, but in case you haven’t seen it yet, this is a smart, fair, video discussing the complexities of the gun problem in America. One quote from near the end: “Depression with a gun is more dangerous than depression without one. Likewise, fights, domestic disputes, road rage, drunkenness — all much more dangerous with a gun than without.”
– The Mediocre Mom’s Guide to Raising a Child With Down Syndrome.
– Do we ever make time to sit and think anymore? (NYT)
– Today’s teens smoke less, drink less, and have sex less than any teens on record.
– Marimekko! How it became a women design powerhouse.
– I know this wonderful couple (and their darling kids) from Alt Summit and I’m heartbroken about what they’re going through.
– Aliens! (NYT)
– The Small Animal That’s Making a Big Difference for Women in the Developing World.
– Happy Friday!
I hope you have an amazing weekend. Happy Father’s Day to all the good men in our lives! As I’ve mentioned, we’re headed to France on Monday and I won’t be at my laptop, but I have some great stuff scheduled. So meet me back here next week. I miss you already.