Photo and text by Gabrielle.
Hello, Friends! How are you? How was your week? Anything you’re looking forward to? Our main goal for the weekend is to make some solid plans for our time in France this summer. If we get that done, I will feel both productive and accomplished! How about you? What’s on your plate for the weekend?
My inbox needs my attention at the moment, so I’m going sign off, but before I go, here are a few things I’ve been wanting to share with you:
– One of the kid-napped Nigerian girls was found!
– Why cursive should be taught first. Interesting.
– On the “cult of motherhood“. I want to reread this. Lot’s of meaty quotes — “I think people are mostly kind and don’t know that, when they ask these questions of women, they are asking us to perform a kind of ceremonial subjection—that we’re not allowed our achievements without first denigrating ourselves or saying, with a sigh, “Yes, that’s correct, I’m a writer and a mother, and it’s so hard, and, no, I don’t do it well.” The truth is, doing these things is hard because being a good parent is always hard, but the difficulty of parenting is separate from the difficulty of work.”
– Art directors around the world design a deck of “the woman card“.
– Are social networks boosting conspiracy theories?
– I’m sure this is ruffling lots of feathers — the National Academy of Sciences confirmed genetically engineered crops are safe and possibly good for the environment. Do you have an opinion on the subject?
– I just heard about the TSA shortage. Have you been affected by it? We fly to France 1 month from today. Sounds like we’ll have to get to the airport early.
– I found this infuriating. No one seems to know how much birth costs.
– So inspiring! Meet the man who planted a forest bigger than Central Park. (It’s long, about 20 mins, but worth it.)
– Not just a death, a system failure (NYT blog).
– Poverty is not a crime. It costs much more to punish them than to let them ride for free. (Why do we make life so hard for each other?)
– I keep staring at these photos.
I hope you have a wonderful weekend. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already!