By Gabrielle. Photo from my cousin’s wedding last weekend. It was perfect! You can see more photos on Instagram.
Waving hello from Dallas, Texas! I’m here with Jordan and Liz to film a cooking video. So fun to work on a project with my sisters! This is my first visit to Dallas, but the city sure gave a warm welcome. We landed yesterday afternoon, dropped our bags at the hotel, and went straight to dinner. When we got there, who did we find seated at a table just inside the front door? President George Bush and Laura Bush! Such a fun sighting! And it got even better — after dinner, as we were leaving the restaurant, we assumed they would be gone already, but instead, they were still seated, and Condoleezza Rice had joined them!!! #TexasForever
I’m off to the video shoot, but before I go, here are a few things I wanted to share with you. I know some of these links are really heavy. I know. But others are full of joy. Read what you can handle, skip the rest:
– So good! Happy tears.
– On failing and not-failing.
– Rape culture is real. Man uses Facebook to brag about sexually assaulting his “friend”.
– Cozy chair cover DIY. Looks so easy!
– Where the children sleep. Heartbreaking. I need to do more.
– Yelp for people? Yikes!
– For those of you on hurricane watch, here’s a light-hearted moment to cheer you.
– How People Treat Mental Illness Vs. How They Treat Physical Illness
– I was on my flight to Dallas when the news broke about the massacre in Oregon. I’m sick about it. I’m sure most of you are sick about it.
I’m not a hunter, I’ve never been a hunter, and I don’t expect to become a hunter. But I grew up in town of hunters, and I feel like I can comfortably say I’m pro-hunting (if you’re hunting sustainably and humanely and lock up your guns). Outside of that very limited scope, consider me deeply anti-gun. This tweet gutted me.
I do not accept mass shootings as a fact of life in America. I do not accept the excuses and the arguments of gun supporters. I’m done acknowledging and responding to them. If you’re feeling the same and want to throw some energy behind gun reform, here’s a group I support.
I hope you have a really wonderful weekend. I fly back to San Francisco this afternoon. It always feels good to go home! I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.
P.S. — I went on a little walk in some nearby redwoods this week and learned some fascinating stuff!