By Gabrielle. Image by Justin Hackworth for Alt Summit.
Hello, Friends! How are you? I’m writing from Alt Summit in Salt Lake City. It’s been a great conference so far — Lisa Congdon’s opening keynote yesterday was standing-ovation amazing. And I’m equally excited about today. At noon, I’ll be moderating the Keynote Session about Entrepreneurship with Susan Petersen of Freshly Picked and Jess Lee of Polyvore. I’m reviewing questions and I think it’s going to be a terrific discussion. Plus, all 3 of the keynote sessions are being videoed, so I can share links once the videos are ready, in case you want to see them, but couldn’t make it to Alt.
I have to tell you about the outfit I’m wearing today. Last May, when I was in Atlanta for the Mom 2.0 conference, I went shopping at these vintage stores called Labels with Rachel of Handmade Charlotte and Rebecca of Girls Gone Child. They are both fashionistas and helped me pick out some really amazing pieces. One of the things I bought was a vintage red velvet Gucci tuxedo! I’ve been waiting and waiting for a good winter-y event I could wear it to. And today’s the day! I have to say, all that red is really confidence bringing and I’m feeling awesome!! I’ll be sure to have some photos snapped so I can do a “what I wore to Alt Summit” post in the next week or so.
Speaking of which, if you’d like to follow along with the conference, the #altsummit hashtag on Instagram has tons of great photos. I’m off to prep some more for the day, but before I go, here are a few things I’ve wanted to share:
– So cool! Warka Water collected useable water from thin air and provides it villages with no current water access.
– Before there were cell phones, there was boredom. (And that was a good thing!)
– I didn’t know there were paragliding competitions. This photo is WOW!
– Benevolent sexism — when someone tells you you are too special to do something.
– Have you read this? Do you agree? — To fall in love with anyone, do this.
– I’m sure I’m the last person to see this Nicole Kidman interview on Jimmy Fallon, but so funny!
– Gigapixels of Andromeda. This made me cry in wonder. Thanks, Jared.
I hope you have a wonderful weekend. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.
P.S. — I fly home tomorrow evening with Maude & Olive (Ralph was going to come, but had some deadlines he needed to attend to instead). It’s been so fun to have them here! But we’re all excited to go back to California and to be altogether as a family. What a full month it’s been!