Hello, Friends! How are you? Did you have a good week? I’m so happy to be connecting with you today. I love getting back to a more usual schedule.
I’m really looking forward to the weekend. We’ve got a full schedule on Saturday. I’ll be keynoting at a Women’s Conference tomorrow morning in Walnut Creek. (It’s free if you’d like to attend. Hosted by the women of my church. Details and topics here.) Then my friend Meg’s daughter is getting baptized in the afternoon. And in the evening we have a big school auction and dance.
Other happenings: I did a Facebook Live broadcast yesterday! It’s been a few weeks since my last one, and it felt good to be chatting with everyone again. I cover 5 or 6 different topics in the video, but I spend the longest part talking about trying to do good, even though sometimes (always?) it can make things worse. Has that ever happened to you? If you get a chance to watch it, I’d love to hear your thoughts. (More of my Facebook Live Broadcasts here.)
And now, let’s get to some links. I’ve got good stuff for you today! Here are a few things I’ve been wanting to share:
– First up, I’m looking for volunteers. I’ve been working with a startup on a really cool Design Mom experiment. (It’s actually a startup within a much bigger tech company that you totally know and love, but I can’t tell you the name yet because the whole thing is still hush hush — plus I signed an NDA.) I tried the experiment with 5 readers last month and they all gave it a happy thumbs up. And now we’re ready to try it with a bigger group! Do you want in? I promise it’s really fun and won’t take up much of your time. The experiment will use FB Messenger, so if you have Messenger app installed and want to participate, then go to this link.
– Poems by Amy Turn Sharp are the best thing about February.
– 10 Things I Wish I Knew About Cerebral Palsy. Funny and charming.
– Well this is discouraging. Young girls are less apt to think that women are really, really smart.
– Dying with excitement! Luvvie’s book is being developed into a new series by Shonda Rhimes!! (Don’t know who Luvvie is? She writes about pop culture and politics. She’s brilliant and hilarious. And I’m super lucky to call her a friend. You should definitely be following her.)
– A Republican makes the case for keeping America’s AIDS relief plan. (NYT)
– Ben Blair needs a new wallet, and I’m thinking of these handcrafted versions on Etsy. He likes a really minimal wallet, so I’m thinking the slim one would be ideal. Maybe for Valentine’s Day? Do you exchange Valentine’s gifts with your significant other? We are pretty inconsistent about it.
– This foster father takes in only terminally ill children.
– Postcards to help kids write to their representatives.
– Just bought a plane ticket to Austin for the Be Conference. It looks really good.
– What happens to my children’s identity now?
– Can we talk about loafers for a minute? Mine need replacing. I wear them a ton — I feel like they have more personality than basic flats and they go with everything! I tend to favor traditional Bass loafers. They are all leather, well made, and not too pricey. I usually go for black — either matte or patent. But. The new colors are so tempting! Strawberry? Sky Blue? If you were me, what would you pick?
– Self-care during tumultuous political times.
– A full moon, lunar eclipse, and a comet — all happening tonight!
I think that’s it for now. I hope you have a really wonderful weekend. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.