Recipe: Schnitzel from a James Beard Winner!

February 4, 2016

Schnitzel Recipe from renowned chef Markus Glocker. You can make this!

Photos and text by Gabrielle. This post is sponsored by Blue Apron — get 2 free meals with your first order!

So cool! Blue Apron has a new Guest Chef Series that I just tried. I think it’s an awesome concept, and I can tell you it tastes awesome in reality. Essentially, Blue Apron partners with a renowned chef who shares a special recipe. Then, customers can order the featured recipe as part of their regular Blue Apron delivery! This makes it possible for home chefs across the country (like me!) to make one-of-a-kind meals.

farm fresh ingredients chopping chives Schnitzel Recipe from renowned chef Markus Glocker. You can make this!

Blue Apron has partnered with chefs in California, New York, Dallas, and more, including Chef Melissa Perello and Chef Johnathan Adler. This year, they are working with Markus Glocker, an Austrian-born chef and restaurant owner. He recently won Best New Restaurant from the James Beard Foundation for his restaurant, Batard. Such an honor!

The best part? Last night, I got to make Chef Glocker’s Schnitzel recipe — and so can you! If you want to try the Schnitzel, order within the next week, and it will come with your Blue Apron delivery on February 18th. Plus, the first 100 Design Mom Readers to sign up will get 2 free meals off their first order. Schnitzel for everybody!

teens cooking together chopping onions

Chef Markus mentions this in the video below, but the schnitzel recipe is a classic Austrian dish that he had all the time growing up. It’s not officially on the menu at Batard, but he started making it for his Austrian friends when they would visit the restaurant and it’s become a crowd favorite. In fact, Pete Wells, the food critic for the New York Times, reviewed Batard, giving it 3 stars (an amazing rating!), and when he visited the restaurant, he specifically requested the schnitzel.

I think we can all consider ourselves lucky, because now we all know that Glocker serves this recipe off the menu, and we can request it if we ever get to dine there. Happily, in the meantime, Blue Apron will deliver it to our doors.

use a pot to flatten chicken when cooking schnitzel Making Schnitzel: flour then egg then breadcrumbs

If you’d like more from Chef Glocker, I’ve got good news. In addition to creating a video about the recipe, Blue Apron also created two “chef tip” videos that share Glocker’s secret tips to the perfect schnitzel and the perfect potato salad. These are really authentic tips, and I love that they give us a peek into the kitchen of a New York City icon!

peeling fingerling potatoes Schnitzel Recipe from renowned chef Markus Glocker. You can make this! Schnitzel Recipe from renowned chef Markus Glocker. You can make this!

I’ve written about Blue Apron before, so I know most of you are familiar, but just in case it’s new to you, here’s a quick summary: Blue Apron delivers all the farm-fresh ingredients you need, right to your doorstep, in exactly the right proportions, to make chef-designed recipes at home. No trips to the grocery store and no waste from unused ingredients. Everything arrives in a refrigerated box so ingredients stay fresh even if you’re not at home when your package arrives. I find it super convenient, especially on busy weeks.

Potato Salad Recipe from renowned chef Markus Glocker. You can make this! Schnitzel Recipe from renowned chef Markus Glocker. You can make this!

My conclusion? The schnitzel was delicious and so was the potato salad! Maude and Olive both said it was their favorite Blue Apron recipe so far. If you get a chance to try it, I want to hear what you think! I mentioned it above, but in case you missed it, next week is your big chance to order the schnitzel, and you can find the discount code here.

Now I’m curious. Do you follow any world-renowned chefs? Do you try their recipes? If you had the chance to choose which chef Blue Apron partners with next, who would it be?

1 Sheila Kaminski February 4, 2016 at 12:24 pm

I am a regular subscriber on Blue Apron. I went to look for this option, guest chef, on their website and there is no information. Is this only available to new subscribers?

2 Design Mom February 4, 2016 at 12:40 pm

It’s definitely available to all subscribers. I just emailed my contact and I’ll figure out why it’s not showing up for you. I’ll be right back as soon as I’ve got an answer.

3 Design Mom February 4, 2016 at 12:57 pm

Yes, Kit figured it out. The recipe is available for the week of 2/15. It will be listed as chicken schnitzel. Hope this helps!

4 Cindy M. February 4, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Do you find that the portions from Blue Apron are enough for your large family? Their family plan only serves 4, so do you order 2 family plans? We are a family of 7 so I don’t see how these meal subscription services could work for us or other large families.

5 Design Mom February 4, 2016 at 12:59 pm

For us, the family plan isn’t big enough, but 3 boxes with 2 servings each seems to be just right. Six servings seems to serve all 8 of us easily and with no leftovers.

6 Kit O'Malley February 4, 2016 at 12:48 pm

It’s available to everyone! You need to go to next week (Feb 15) on the menu page and then you’ll see it! :)

7 Sheila February 4, 2016 at 4:30 pm

I must be slow. On the app my choices are this week, next week, and all recipes. I thought there was a way to change my menu choice to this chef’s recipe with ingredients. None the less, I cannot search using the name anywhere. Subscriber since the beginning, love the service and ingredients. Family size feeds 5 of us and 3 are teens!

8 Sheila February 4, 2016 at 4:33 pm

Figured it out on the webpage. Only available for 2 person plan, not family. Boo!

9 Mary February 5, 2016 at 11:41 am

No schnitzel to be found. My options for that week are meatballs, soup, zatar chicken and cod. Is it accurate that it’s only for the 2 person plan? Lame, total time drain.

10 Kristine February 4, 2016 at 1:04 pm

I love Blue Apron. I have received their meals for 3 weeks now. We haven’t been disappointed with one yet. :)

11 Ann February 4, 2016 at 4:00 pm

I would pick Vivian Howard’s recipes. I fell in love with the series about her called, “A Chef’s Life”.

12 Rija February 4, 2016 at 4:56 pm

There is a huge building boom in your area for companies and contractors pricing is way up. I’m sure it trickles down to residential. That’s so frustrating now that you are ready to take action. Good luck!

13 Paige February 5, 2016 at 10:10 am

This meal looks delicious! We love blue apron!

Paige

14 Kate the Great February 5, 2016 at 5:56 pm

Ralph’s hair is wildly awesome! It looks like how my little brother wanted his hair to turn out once upon a time– same coloring, but alas, he got kinky fro that stuck out no matter how long it got. Still amazing–as in we had every single person comment about it when walking through one of the straight outdoor hallways at Lagoon one summer–but not awesome the way he’d hoped.

And now he’s balding, as is all my mother’s brothers. I’m so thrilled he had a hair adventure while he could. As my mom says, “If they’re gonna rebel, let it be the hair.”

15 Kelleyn February 5, 2016 at 6:09 pm

We have been eating Schnitzel for years! We love it! My husband is German and his mother taught me how to make it many years ago. I love Blue Apron, I just wish we could make it work for our family. We are a family of 7 almost 8 and I find some of the portions small and sometimes my kids won’t touch the recipes though I have to admit they have tried more than I thought they would.

16 Elena February 11, 2016 at 3:23 pm

Your children look so beautifully normal. The unstyled authenticity is like a breath of fresh air. Sweet.