DIY: Animal Track Valentines — Plus a Free Printable!

February 10, 2016

stamp-valentine 6

By Gabrielle. Photos by Amy Christie for Design Mom.

Here’s another super cute option for your Valentines this year! All it’s an easy one too. Print and trim the free printable, and attach an inexpensive rubber stamp. That’s it! Yes, it’s candy free, and yes, it’s appealing to all sorts of kids. Who wouldn’t love a little stamp with animal feet!

And bonus, the printable is a little ruler, so your kids can measure any real animal footprints they come across. Best valentine ever!

stamp-valentine 7 stamp-valentine 5

Before we jump into the instructions, I have a quick question. How are your schools handling Valentine’s Day this year? Since it’s on Sunday, will your classrooms be celebrating on the Friday before? Or the Monday after? For us, it depends on the teacher. One is skipping a Valentine’s party altogether (though the kids are allowed to exchange valentines), another is having the celebration on Monday, and I’m not sure what the third one is doing. I better go check!

Now, let’s get to it!

stamp-valentine 2

Amy Christie photographed this project and here’s what she says:

My children love animals. We talk about them, read about them, watch shows about them and have an abundance of stuffed animals to pretend play with. Along the way, we’ve collected a few little animal track measuring tools which my children adore. Afternoons are spent pretending to track various living creatures throughout the house, measuring their supposed tracks. We thought we would share this cool tool with our valentines this year and add an animal track stamp for good measure!

You can find animal track stamps in the craft store or follow this link to the 18-pack we purchased on Amazon.

Print, cut, stick and you’re done!

stamp-valentine 9

Supplies:

Free printable animal track measuring cards
- rubber stamps
- glue dots or double-sided tape or regular tape

stamp-valentine 10

Print the cards, cut them out and then use two glue dots to stick one stamp to each card. The stamps need that extra dot to make sure they stay in place.

stamp-valentine 11

Sign names on the backside and they are ready to go!

stamp-valentine 3 stamp-valentine 4

__

So cute, right? These are perfect for classmate valentines.

Credits: Images, styling & text by Amy Christie. Graphic design by Annie Galloway

1 Sarah M February 10, 2016 at 4:05 pm

I love this Valentine idea! The stamp is adorable, and I can see that being a popular gift idea.

And I think it’s because I just read the article below this morning (or my mind wouldn’t be on the topic of stalking!) but I think a phrase like “You stop me in my tracks, Valentine” would work equally well. Valentine’s Day is AWESOME for the relatively normalized, widely accepted use of puns– the ones that just make everyone groan on any other day :)

Also speaking of which, did you hear there is a new pun-based game coming out called Punderdome? I’m pretty excited for it.

2 Elena February 11, 2016 at 3:10 pm

I agree! Kinda gave me a weird feeling when I read it too. Great alternative you’ve thought of, though!

3 Jeanne February 10, 2016 at 4:37 pm

Love this very cute Valentine idea. This year the 4th/5th class is having an end of day Friday party with Valentine exchange. We are going out on a limb this year (no candy) and delivering Capri Sun drinks…decorated with heart stickers. Take a peek…

4 Annet M February 10, 2016 at 5:49 pm

My son’s class is celebrating on Thursday afternoon, because we have a PD day on Friday and Monday is province-wide Family Day. So quite far removed from the actual day. I made the sucker valentines that I tagged you on in Instagram. We LOVE them.

5 Ann February 11, 2016 at 7:46 am

The school where my boys go don’t celebrate holidays but they let the kids hand-out valentines. I’m the room parent for 5-6th class so I offered to bring in a treat or something tomorrow. I’m waiting to hear. Isn’t it Lincoln’s birthday too?

6 Mrs. A February 11, 2016 at 11:06 am

This is such a sweet idea! Love the stamps too. My son’s 3rd grade class is studying fossils, and these fossil stamps would also be cute – http://tinyurl.com/zfnse3g

My son’s 3rd grade class is celebrating Friendship Day tomorrow. Tons of kids are out with the flu, so it will be a low key party. The teacher has also banned all sugary treats, so I look forward to seeing how creative the students will be (your ideas have been wonderful).

7 Paige February 11, 2016 at 11:07 am

These Valentine’s are so cute! I love the printable you made!

Paige

8 Amy D February 11, 2016 at 2:18 pm

My son just had his Valentine’s party for 1st grade. But things are changing in school quickly. For instance, there are no home baked goods anymore. Eventually candies will be out as well bc of hidden peanut products due to allergies for some kids. Honestly, Valentine’s is fun but I’m sick of it and I’m sure America is sick of it as well. We are living in modern times, not in the 1900s time. Also, isn’t it too much to have Halloween party, Christmas party, Valentine’s party, Easter party, 4th of July party and kids’ birthday parties for all the candy? It’s too much! Unless we swap candies for playdohs, creative things, healthy snacks, or whatever. Enough of candy for every celebration. It has gotten way out of control right now. Just saying my opinion. America needs to change the way we celebrate over candy!

9 Renee February 11, 2016 at 2:42 pm

Love this idea! I look forward to your Valentines posts each year. This year, we created lego hearts “Never Lego my heart” for my kindergartner, which was so much fun. My preschooler has applesauce “You’re awesomesauce” cards. Our school is celebrating tomorrow as Monday there is no school for President’s Day. I really LOVE valentines day and hope it never goes away. A day where we tell people that we love them can’t hurt anyone!! At home, we decorate the house and do silly little gifts and notes for each other randomly all month.

10 Nicole February 11, 2016 at 2:58 pm

I love those stamps, super cute!

This is my daughter’s first year in school and I’m fascinated by the trend of giving a small toy or candy along with a card. It’s been years since I did Valentine’s in elementary school but it was always just a card. So that’s what I’ve planned for my daughter to take into school tomorrow… it will be interesting to see what she comes home with!

11 iam February 12, 2016 at 12:04 pm

I’m totally doing this next year. I was scared of being the mom that went over board so I just went with a piece of candy. Needless to say, we’ll be doing stamps next year! love this idea, thanks!