A Few Things

February 12, 2016

gt076_crayheart01_vert

By Gabrielle. Photo: Crayon Hearts — still one of my very favorite Valentine projects!

Hello, Friends. How are you? Was it a good week? Do you have any Valentine’s Day plans for Sunday? And do you have Monday off for President’s Day? I’m looking at a 3-day weekend and it’s feeling pretty dang good!

Before I jump into my link list, I have a request for anyone who considers themselves a BIG fan of this blog. If you’re a long-time reader, if you love coming to the site, if you love talking about Design Mom, then I’m hoping you’ll help me out. As I embark on the website redesign, I’m doing some in depth market research about Design Mom, and I’m looking for 6 to 10 people to interview. It will take about an hour — so this is for people who really like talking about Design Mom.

I won’t be doing the interviewing, because the interviewer needs to be someone who can ask totally unbiased questions, but I will definitely be studying your responses and doing whatever I can to improve Design Mom. If you’re willing to volunteer your time, I would be forever grateful!! Please email me, let me know you’re interested, and we’ll get an interview time set up. Thanks in advance! UPDATE: So many volunteers! I can’t thank you enough! We’re all set. Woo hoo!

And now, here are a few things I’ve been wanting to share:

- French supermarkets banned from throwing away and spoiling unsold food.

- Make your own watercolors.

- This hit me in the gut. Can you imagine being your child’s organ?

This article says the college admissions process is poisoning our kids’ teen years. Do you agree?

- Why elephants don’t get cancer and what that means.

- Toyota was overcharging minority customers — and now it has to pay them back.

- A father and son challenging the stereotypes of autism.

- How China’s one-child policy led to 30 Million Bachelors.

- The slow death of purposeless walking.

- 6 women scientists who were snubbed due to sexism.

- When your baby won’t eat.

- Woman who is a man chromosome-wise, gave birth after doctors grew her a womb.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend and a Happy Valentine’s Day! We’ll do a sweet little pink-themed breakfast for the kids on Sunday morning — I’m looking forward to it! I’ll meet you back here next week. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

1 gina February 12, 2016 at 1:54 pm

I never tire of this Valentine’s Day Project! Wishes from Sweden for beautiful holidays

2 Erin February 12, 2016 at 4:35 pm

I most certainly agree with the New Yorker article. This week we started the process of planning for my oldest child’s freshman year of high school. He had to pick classes, etc… I hate to admit the amount of anxiety I felt over some of it. It was ridiculous. It makes me sad to hear kids picking another AP over a normal class they really want to take. It makes me sad that there is so much competition. It makes me sad that kids just can’t be kids, and that it takes extraordinary things to get into some of these schools. I have appreciated the times you’ve written about educating your children. I love that you are open to doing things a different way…thinking of Ralph and graduation here. Most of all, I don’t want to get caught up in the rat race. But it feels like I have no choice. The most valuable lessons I learned from high school (and college) had very little to do with the actual learning. It was the experiences, and the relationships that have stayed with me the most.

3 Alysa Stewart February 12, 2016 at 5:54 pm

Those diy watercolors are cool! I wonder how well they age. I mean, if I make a piece with them and frame it, is it still going to look good in 20 years? I guess I’d have to look into how high-end watercolors are made to find out.

4 Amanda February 15, 2016 at 9:38 am

I hope you’ll never change the variety of the things that you sprinkle breadcrumbs to or the way in which you speak so honestly. I know that both can make you vulnerable to criticism, but it’s made me ever fonder of you.

5 Kristin at Pink Camellias February 16, 2016 at 3:40 am

I love the melty crayon hearts, too! I did this with my older boys several years ago – I totally forgot about it – I think my eight year old son would love to do this! You’ve totally jogged my memory – I loved having these hearts hung on my sunroom windows!

And, on another note, I don’t even want to think about college!!! My oldest is almost 16 and I am getting sad he will be going to college soon!

6 Daphne February 16, 2016 at 8:42 am

Dear Gabrielle,

those hearts are lovely, and it looks like a funny DIY project too, thanks for the idea !

As French, I feel frustrated that supermarkets didn’t had this obligation until now. It does make sense and we have some wonderful charities working hard to find donators. Some supermarkets were still putting bleach on food put in bins to prevent people to take it. It cannot make sense .

But things can change quickly. 6 years ago, supermarkets were giving bags to customers and now everyone is used to bring is own bag. And it works well.

7 Christina February 16, 2016 at 9:20 am

China’s one child policy predicament… well duh! Plenty of people said this was coming and they also warned that the numbers of girls being kidnapped as future wives for their sons would sky rocket as has the selling of daughters. Can enough rational people learn from this? Europe and the US on are on their own decline as people are have less than the replacement needed. Sons are still valued over the daughters in western cultures but not as much as they will be in just another 30 years b/c as we age without replacements, we will follow China’s example of needing the sons to help provide for us in our elderly age. So sad and preventable.

8 Janna February 16, 2016 at 10:54 am

My husband and I (and many, many other loving people) have been our daughter’s pancreas since she was 9 months old. That’s nearly 15 years of worry, fear, and panic. Not to mention the blood sugar checks, needle sticks, juice boxes in the middle of the night, counting carbs and calculating insulin doses. Unless you are in it, most people don’t know what it’s like. Thanks for sharing Northern Mum’s post.