A Few Things

January 29, 2016

June Blair Kindergartener

Photo and text by Gabrielle. That’s my kindergartener!

Hello, Friends! Happy Friday! How are you? Our school district is having a teacher prep day, so the kids have off school, and I must say, skipping the morning routine today felt like the ultimate luxury. Hah!

We’re looking forward to a full and exciting weekend. Birthday parties to go to, Winter Ball at the high school, a conference on Saturday and a lecture on Sunday night. A friend is coming to stay, and Maude is hosting a sleepover too. All good things. How about you? Anything you’re looking forward to? I’d love to hear!

I think that’s it for today, but before I sign off for the weekend, I have a few things to share with you. Lots of great links this week:

- Finally! And hallelujah! A new call for Depression Screenings during and after pregnancy.

- Turns out the English language is sexist and helps form our currently sexist society.

- Related, a disturbing chart of sexist tweets Trump supporters sent to reporter, Megan Kelly.

- But sexism be damned, because after the blizzard, only women showed up to run the Senate!

- One step closer to artificial intelligence, a computer beat the reigning champion in a game called Go. I had never heard of Go, but apparently it’s considered the most challenging game humans have ever created.

- Did you see the announcement about the new Barbies? New skin tones, new curvy shapes, short versions and tall versions. What do you think? Is it awesome news or too little too late?

- Science! The organ shortage could be solved by a technique called decellularization. So cool.

- I had no idea this was happening. The numbers behind America’s heroin epidemic.

- An 11-year-old girl, sick of reading books about white boys and dogs, launches #1000BlackGirlBooks.

- Something  fun — Jane Maynard interviewed me on her new podcast!

- I’ve read Cool Mom Picks and Cool Mom Tech for years, but somehow I missed the launch of Cool Mom Eats! Really fantastic content — like this post on kid-friendly, non-meat sources of protein, or this one on healthy Valentine Day treats. I highly recommend.

- Lastly, here’s a silly one that made me laugh. Watch with sound.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already,

1 Susan January 29, 2016 at 1:31 pm

The chart of sexist tweets to Megyn Kelly is so disturbing. The words are so hateful, so abusive. It’s frightening to hear and see the crowd mentality he generates with his hate speech.

2 Anna January 29, 2016 at 2:34 pm

Just to add my two cents on the depression screening for new mothers: while they’re at it, they should be on the lookout for thyroid problems triggered by pregnancy and/or birth, which are fairly common and can cause all the symptoms of depression as well – a type of depression which is often completely treatable by fixing the thyroid problem.

3 Jodi January 29, 2016 at 3:01 pm

The new barbies are great. I still wonder if kids read into it as much as adults. But, I still think they are great. Except, I’m imagining what a pain to have to buy different clothes for different barbie bodies ha! Welcome to the real world.

4 m January 29, 2016 at 3:19 pm

I am a dark haired, brown eyed, tan skinned Spanish girl. I grew up spending hours playing barbies with my blond haired, blue eyed friend. We would set up houses and play out all sorts of scenarios. I think they even kissed their boyfriends (Ken) once in a while, yikes! I didn’t define myself against Barbie. Sure, there were times when I envied my friend’s straight hair regardless of the color, and times I wished I was a little taller (topped out at 5’3″), and once in a while I wanted my curviness not too be quite so curvy (if they only made pants for people with smaller waists than hips and legs that are not 1 mile long:). I was one of the few Spanish speakers at my elementary school and I didn’t even think of myself as a standout until I did begin to notice the subtle ways people treated my parents, who have heavy accents, a bit differently in certain situations. Later I noticed how I affected people who didn’t know me , especially if I was speaking Spanish.
My perceptions of how people view me have evolved over the years. I’m older. I’ve experienced new friendships and discontinued some. I’ve met more people from different areas with different opinions. I’ve been more aware of some of the ugliness in how people treat and view each other and more aware of how very different people establish lasting partnerships. I’ve experienced friendships that acknowledge (even in a joking way) that we are, in fact, different and bring different experiences, perceptions, and opinions to the table. Quite frankly, I like that I sometimes stand out a bit even in the more diverse community and friendship circles that I now participate in.
Great for Barbie. I’m sure they’ve done their research. They can market their dolls to targeted audiences now. I struggle to believe that the intent of the change is solely for the purpose of inspiring our young women (or men) and promoting acceptance. If I had to buy one, I don’t know which one I would pick.
I think the problem is that we are judging ourselves against dolls to begin with.

5 Jessie January 30, 2016 at 5:39 am

Thank you, thank you for mentioning the depression screening! I gave birth at one of the best hospitals in my area for postpartum support. There are family support groups, which I’m attending, depression screening is supposed to be done in the hospitals, it’s all supposed to be great! Yet I slipped through the cracks and wasn’t diagnosed until 5months postpartum when I was admitted to a partial hospitalization program. This is serious, real, and both physical and spiritual. You can’t treat one without the other! I’m so glad to see some awareness being raised on a national level. Thank you, Design Mom, for mentioning it here as well!!

6 Kristen Chase January 30, 2016 at 8:26 am

Thank you so much for sharing the Cool Mom Eats love, Gabby! xox

7 Alysa Stewart January 30, 2016 at 8:52 pm

I like the new Barbies! Is it too little too late? Well, I’m not saying it shouldn’t have happened sooner, but I’m all for celebrating progress when progress is made.

8 Corinne January 31, 2016 at 1:41 am

I just wanted to say that I love your positivity and upbeat attitude to life – and your busy weekend ahead. The fact that you’ve shared your low times too makes them even more inspiring. Thank you x

9 Amanda January 31, 2016 at 7:16 am

I’ve read you for years and years, and while I love the design, projects, and adventures, I am most grateful for your heart and perseverance. You have done incredible things with your platform and I am incredibly grateful and awed.

Thank you.

10 Elisabeth January 31, 2016 at 3:09 pm

The article about sexism inherent in common words was SO interesting — thanks for pointing it out.

11 Drew February 1, 2016 at 11:31 am
12 Polina February 4, 2016 at 8:43 am

I can’t wait to hear you on the podcast. Do you have a list of podcasts you listen to?
With two young kids I have become a little obsessed with all the ideas, entertainment and connections I can make from podcasts. Here is my list of favorites: http://catchingwisdom.com/favorite-podcast-list/
and my favorite shows from 2015 :http://catchingwisdom.com/favorite-podcasts-from-2015/

13 Kerry March 12, 2016 at 1:22 pm

Awesome sites lol
Thanks x)
Some of them were really coool!!!
Especially that last video… omg it’s so funny, that dinosaur hilarious