Photo and text by Gabrielle. That’s my kindergartener!
Hello, Friends! Happy Friday! How are you? Our school district is having a teacher prep day, so the kids have off school, and I must say, skipping the morning routine today felt like the ultimate luxury. Hah!
We’re looking forward to a full and exciting weekend. Birthday parties to go to, Winter Ball at the high school, a conference on Saturday and a lecture on Sunday night. A friend is coming to stay, and Maude is hosting a sleepover too. All good things. How about you? Anything you’re looking forward to? I’d love to hear!
I think that’s it for today, but before I sign off for the weekend, I have a few things to share with you. Lots of great links this week:
– Finally! And hallelujah! A new call for Depression Screenings during and after pregnancy.
– Turns out the English language is sexist and helps form our currently sexist society.
– Related, a disturbing chart of sexist tweets Trump supporters sent to reporter, Megan Kelly.
– But sexism be damned, because after the blizzard, only women showed up to run the Senate!
– One step closer to artificial intelligence, a computer beat the reigning champion in a game called Go. I had never heard of Go, but apparently it’s considered the most challenging game humans have ever created.
– Did you see the announcement about the new Barbies? New skin tones, new curvy shapes, short versions and tall versions. What do you think? Is it awesome news or too little too late?
– Science! The organ shortage could be solved by a technique called decellularization. So cool.
– I had no idea this was happening. The numbers behind America’s heroin epidemic.
– An 11-year-old girl, sick of reading books about white boys and dogs, launches #1000BlackGirlBooks.
– Something fun — Jane Maynard interviewed me on her new podcast!
– I’ve read Cool Mom Picks and Cool Mom Tech for years, but somehow I missed the launch of Cool Mom Eats! Really fantastic content — like this post on kid-friendly, non-meat sources of protein, or this one on healthy Valentine Day treats. I highly recommend.
– Lastly, here’s a silly one that made me laugh. Watch with sound.
I hope you have a wonderful weekend. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already,