A Few Things

August 22, 2014

Marstand Island - Sweden

Image and text by Gabrielle.

Hello, Friends. How are you? Has it been a good week? We are still in full travel mode — we’ll be exploring more of the coast today, and then go inland to the countryside tomorrow — and I’ll be sure to write up posts about the rest of these Sweden adventures — the itinerary that was prepared for us is too good not to share!

We will be flying back to California on Sunday and of course, we can’t wait to see the kids. I don’t believe we’ve ever gone this long without seeing them. It’s strange for us to think about.

While we hit the road, here are a few things I’ve wanted to share:

- I quit “liking” things on Facebook and here’s what happened.

- Anything but 9 to 5. This is such a fixable problem. We need to fix it.

- A four-year-old reviews the French Laundry. Thanks, Jenny.

- From Pew Research: If you don’t think Ferguson is a big deal, chances are high you’re white. Thanks, Vrylena.

- A set of DIY breakfast bowls in 4 easy patterns — a cute little way to celebrate back to school.

- What happened if, instead of judging others, we thought about the “moment before” this one, instead? Thanks, Monique.

- Beautiful script.

- After tragedy, remembering the relationship. One chat at a time.

- Fully functional chocolate legos.

- 52 powerful photos of women who changed history.

I hope you have a delightful weekend. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. — I am seriously Instagramming up a storm on this trip — I just can’t resist all the colors! Feel free to follow along.

{ 1 trackback }

Where Do You Get Your News? - From China VillageFrom China Village
August 26, 2014 at 11:58 am

1 plum August 22, 2014 at 11:20 am

Oh, the Swedes!! How I’ve loved to cyber-travel with you and Ben Blair. What an amazing opportunity for you both. I’ve lived vicariously through you all week and just sent my husband the link to your Volvo post. I’m a long-time Volvo driver, but apparently an ignorant one. Thanks so much on shining a bright light on their safety standards. So, so impressive!

With respect to your round-up {which I always love}, this week is especially great with several thought-provoking articles. I have such a low, low tolerance for what seems to be the growing norm of us being a judgmental society with such a lean towards derogatory words and behaivor, but rarely exercise any type of solid, take-action steps for change (besides doing my best to raise kind, empathetic little people). The “moment before” really struck a chord with me and I will now be using their words every day in every way: Have the Balls to be Kind.

Let’s start a movement, shall we?

~ d.

2 Lauren August 22, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Thanks for linking to the article “Working anything but 9 to 5.” Here in Canada, an appeal court recently upheld a human rights decision involving working parents and childcare. In a nutshell, the court accepted the argument that requiring employees to work irregular shifts, without trying to accommodate their childcare needs, was discrimination based on “family status”. (As you can probably tell, I’m a lawyer! and I find this stuff fascinating and so important.)

Here’s a great news article describing the case and its impact.

3 Becca August 22, 2014 at 4:09 pm

My favorite A Few Things post in a while. So many interesting topics to ponder over the weekend. Thanks!

4 barchbo August 22, 2014 at 9:05 pm

I’ve been loving your Instagram storm – gorgeous! Looks like it has been an amazing trip!

5 Karen August 23, 2014 at 9:59 am

Thanks for the link to the article about saving chats. When my brother died a little over a year ago, I had to shut down his FaceBook page. It’s horrible because all his likes and comments disappeared from my wall as well. Before I did it, I saved all our interactions. I read them from time to time and share them on a journal I started so I have an outlet for talking about his death.

6 Heidi August 23, 2014 at 3:35 pm

You absolutely have my favorite blog. I love your own columns-and I really appreciate your round up of other articles and blogs. I was particularly touched by the NYT article on the young, single mother trying to work at Starbucks and the Pew Research findings on Ferguson. I also appreciated the link to the HuffPost opinion piece on “the moment before.”

7 Summer August 24, 2014 at 8:29 pm

I loved the article about not liking things on Facebook. I am absolutely doing it. I live overseas from my family and I love Facebook for being able to keep us connected, but many my feed gets clogged down with a lot of junk. I hope this idea will clean it up and show me more of the people I truly love and interact with.