Nesting

July 14, 2014

Family Room Bare Floor

Image and text by Gabrielle.

What a day! I don’t think I sat still for more than a few minutes today. I’m looking at the clock (11:20 PM) and laughing that it could be this late.

We leave on our epic 3-week road trip on Wednesday morning, and I feel like I’m somehow nesting before the big event. Today was filled with big projects like clearing out the garage, little things like putting house plants outside (we have someone who will be coming by to water plants and collect mail and check on the house in our absence), and lots of laundry. Then this evening, when I was supposed to start packing, I rallied all the kids and we cleared out the family room furniture and pulled up the carpet! Hah!

The carpet was already badly worn and stained when we bought the house and I’ve wanted to pull it up all year (can you believe this week marks one whole year in California?), so I’m happy as a clam that it’s gone! But it’s such a random thing to do before a big trip. I hope it means we’ll get home from the trip and get right to work on the new flooring. I’m really excited to put the family room together — that space has felt halfway finished since we moved in.

I’ve been thinking back to past family trips to see if I have a habit of nesting before I travel, or if this is really just me procrastinating the packing. How about you? Have you ever surprised yourself before a trip by taking on a new project? Or maybe you have another pre-trip habit you’ve noticed? I’d love to hear!

The Genet Scar by fashionABLE. A collaboration between Alt Summit and ONE.org.

Shifting gears: Totally unrelated to the trip, but I wanted to make sure you heard about the new scarf design contest Alt Summit is hosting with fashionABLE. The open call for designs was announced today. And the prize is big — worth over $1000! The winner will receive a pass to the Alt Summit conference of their choice, plus a $500 gift certificate to fashionABLE. Nice. The last time we ran this contest, the winning scarf was the Genet. It’s my favorite. I truly never travel without it! Entries are due on July 24th, which is coming up fast. That’s why I wanted to mention it right away — I want you to have plenty of time to submit a design. Find contest details here.

Well. That was a random post for a random Monday. I hope your week is off to a wonderful start! Wish me luck on the packing. : )

1 Michele S. July 15, 2014 at 1:01 am

Just finished packing for a family reunion/pilgrimage (8 + in-laws) to Mexico. We leave tomorrow morning. My husband is the organizer, so he made sure all the kids had a good balance of underwear, pants, etc. It’s not ripping out carpet, but does hemming skinny jeans and converting a maternity top count as nesting? Buen viaje, Gabrielle. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures.

2 Jessica @ Little Nesting Doll July 15, 2014 at 6:39 am

I always clean, clean, clean before leaving because I don’t want to come home from a trip and be faced with a messy house. But I don’t think I’ve ever done anything as drastic as ripping out carpeting. I feel like if I suggested doing something like that, my husband would lose his mind. Right before our trip to Turkey last month though, I did freak out because we didn’t have a will and I suddenly felt like we couldn’t leave without one.

3 Pamela Balabuszko-Reay July 15, 2014 at 7:10 am

I was just having this conversation with myself yesterday. Tomorrow I leave for Silpada’s National Conference. I’ll be gone for five days. I want so much for my house to be tidy before I leave- so I can picture it that way while I’m gone. It wouldn’t stay tidy because my husband and kiddos will be here. I keep finding myself in a slight panic filing papers, cleaning up the kids’ rooms and wishing I had gotten to the weeding over the weekend. This morning my first thought was “We’ll all go down to the basement and I’ll set a timer for 30 minutes for a team tidy”. Really, I should just be concentrating on getting myself ready for a weekend I look forward to all year. Nesting is a strong pull. Have a great trip Gabrielle.

4 Azra July 15, 2014 at 9:20 am

I totally get it. I have those tendencies before going on a trip; attempts (not always successful) to paint a room, organize, clean and rearrange furniture. I guess, my hopes are to come back to a place where I will feel relaxed; continuity of vacation.

5 Eva July 15, 2014 at 9:58 am

Your random posts are my favorite! So excited to read about your adventures from the next 3 weeks. You do the kind of stuff I want to do with my family when the boys are older.

6 Ursula July 15, 2014 at 11:23 am

I love this post. You and my husband are of like mind. Years ago, two nights before we got married I was asleep in our bed and heard the sawzall running on our first floor. It was late. I was confused. What was going on?

I ran downstairs only to find my husband, safety goggles firmly in place, cutting a new entryway into the apartment on the first floor of the bldg. Two. Nights. Before. Our. Wedding. Relatives about the descend on our home, us about to leave on a honeymoon after the wedding, etc. etc.

Apparently that was the perfect time to start renovating. Have a great time on the trip. Can’t wait to hear about it when you are back. :)

7 leslie July 15, 2014 at 12:18 pm

About ten years ago, 5 kids under 12 at home, and my husband was gone for work for a month. One day I looked at the living room carpet and said, ‘kids we are going to put in pergo this week’. So we ripped up the carpet, hauled it to the dump in the van. Called my parents, who flew 4 hours, to come help me. We got it all done except a tough spot in the hallway that we left for my husband (just so he’d feel a part of the project , haha). After his month away, we didn’t even let him come home to see the new floors, we picked him up at the airport and left for a 2 week vacation.

8 Laura Jane July 15, 2014 at 12:20 pm

I guess I’m not sure about nesting before vacation (though I do love a good cleaning session so we can come back to a clean house) but I do find myself going through cleaning/nesting/laundry/baking spree right before “shark week” every month (significant eye contact).

9 kristi July 15, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Hah! I have totally done this! Random, unreasonable, illogical projects the night before vacation, knowing full well I don’t have time to undertake them. I’m going to call it nesting from now on! Safe travels, enjoy your trip!

10 Annie July 15, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Yes! My mom calls this productive neglect and it’s how a lot of my best projects get started–avoiding other ones, haha! Similarly, whenever I have a big writing project, I suddenly feel the necessary, pressing, urgent need to go through my computer files and organize every last one. It’s the digital version of ripping up the carpet.

Have a fantastic roadtrip!

11 Valerie July 15, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Sewing projects always seem to present themselves right before I go on a trip! We’ve got a two week trip upcoming with a wedding included so I am sewing my bridesmaid dress, but then I thought it’d be awesome to make a backpack for my little boy to carry some of his own stuff. Plus a friend is having a baby so I am smocking/sewing an outfit for him to take with me. I guess I just don’t like going empty handed.

12 blandine July 16, 2014 at 3:44 am

Hi Gabrielle,
I didn’t know your family plays stringed instruments! I can’t see exactly how they’re fixed on the wall but fwiw, my friend’s cello was attached at scroll for a couple of years and her luthier advised her to find another system because this was creating too much tension.
have a nice trip!

13 Claire in Davis July 17, 2014 at 12:20 am

Can’t wait to hear about your wonderful adventures. I’m laughing out loud because I have never admitted to myself that it’s a pattern, but I do the same thing (although I’m not quite as talented at it all). Just primed the 8-12 foot high sloped wood ceiling in our living room (marred by discolored stain) and weeded and mulched the front garden. So sore…. I hope my sore back doesn’t haunt me during my travels! Have a lovely trip. By the way, I love to see how you make room for extra people — visiting cousins in France, visiting friends in the States — so many of us think we have our hands full with our families, which are pretty small compared to the Blair clan. You guys exemplify the spirit of “there’s always room for one more.”