Love the Place You Live: Oakland A’s Baseball Game

July 7, 2014

A's Game plus Fireworks02

Cheerios Protein Box Images and text by Gabrielle.  //  This post is brought to you by Cheerios Protein. Cheerios Protein gives you energy to last you through your day’s adventures, wherever they may be!

For my first Love The Place You Live column here in Oakland, I thought an Oakland A’s game would be perfect! The game was on Thursday night, July 3rd, and was followed by a huge fireworks display. Apparently, it’s an Independence Day tradition here and happens every year the night before the 4th. And it’s so much fun!

A's Game plus Fireworks01 A's Game plus Fireworks03 A's Game plus Fireworks16

The weather was ideal. The crowd was in a festive mood. And the A’s won!

A's Game plus Fireworks09 A's Game plus Fireworks04 A's Game plus Fireworks08 A's Game plus Fireworks25

The light was so pretty in the stadium, and the kids looked so cute, I took a million photos.

A's Game plus Fireworks11

We have two kid-size A’s hats that the kids all traded around throughout the game.

A's Game plus Fireworks13 A's Game plus Fireworks12

With and without the hats, the whole family did our best to be good fans — everyone hunted down any green and yellow we could find in our closets.

A's Game plus Fireworks15

Of course, it’s always fun when the home team wins! The kids loved standing up during the 7th inning stretch to sing Take Me Out To The Ballgame.

A's Game plus Fireworks14

The stadium was full and the fans were enthusiastic.

A's Game plus Fireworks05

Lots of yellow and green — and even some fabulous metallic gold!

A's Game plus Fireworks06

I haven’t been to a professional baseball game in ages, and it made me nostalgic to see all the traditions in place — down to the cotton candy and hotdogs. (We didn’t actually eat at the game, but it was still fun to have concessions sellers walking up and down the stands with their wares.)

A's Game plus Fireworks10

We’re always on the lookout for activities that the whole family enjoys — teenagers and preschoolers alike. This definitely qualified.

A's Game plus Fireworks17 A's Game plus Fireworks07

The sun dropped behind the stadium around the 7th inning.

A's Game plus Fireworks18

Then, the stadium lights came on.

A's Game plus Fireworks19

After the game, attendees were invited down onto the field. Very exciting! Before I went down to join my family, I watched the crowd rush out and fill the grass. So much energy!

A's Game plus Fireworks23

Once the grass was packed with people, the empty stadium seats filled up with Oaklanders that didn’t have tickets to the game, but came to see the fireworks.

A's Game plus Fireworks20 A's Game plus Fireworks21

The grass fills up fast, so people that want to watch the fireworks on the lawn start lining up in the 8th inning. Some local friends that go every year clued us in, so we knew to get in line and bring blankets for the grass.

A's Game plus Fireworks24 A's Game plus Fireworks26

It was such a cool thing to get to be down on the grass where the players do their thing. I love that my kids got to experience that.

A's Game plus Fireworks27

When it was time to start, the A’s mascot — the White Elephant — appeared on the jumbotron. As he pulled down a giant lever, the stadium lights went out and the crowd cheered. Time for fireworks!

A's Game plus Fireworks28 A's Game plus Fireworks29 A's Game plus Fireworks30

Patriotic songs played through the fireworks, while we lay on our blankets in the grassy stadium and watched the sky light up. I adore fireworks! And this was an especially good display. It felt like a gift to the Oakland community, and being there felt like we were legitimate members of the Oakland community.

A's Game plus Fireworks32

Charles, our exchange student from France, said he’s never seen such an epic fireworks display.

A's Game plus Fireworks31

It was a late night, but the whole family was pumped up after the fireworks and stayed up talking when we got home.

A's Game plus Fireworks33

Our first family visit to an A’s game was a success!

Now, it’s your turn. Leave your link below. I can’t wait to read your posts and see what you discovered!

——–

Love The Place You Live: July 2014 Linkup

Do you have a Love the Place You Live post you’d like to share? Adding your link is super easy!
-Click the “Add Your Link” button below.
-Copy in the url of your blog post.
-Name your link anything you like. For example, I would name mine “Gabrielle – Design Mom: A’s Baseball Game”.
-Add your email address. It won’t be visible to other readers, but you’ll get a confirmation email that your link was added successfully.

{ 2 trackbacks }

Love where you live: lagoons, beaches and mangos in STX » Heather Maynard
July 7, 2014 at 9:53 pm
Love the Place You Live | This Bendable Life
July 8, 2014 at 4:00 pm

1 Sylvia Gil-Stearns July 7, 2014 at 8:18 am

Love your photos, looks like a great day.
My city: Pittsburgh…stop on by… (It’s link #4 above.)

2 Rita from designmegillah July 7, 2014 at 8:19 am

Elizabeth Park, West Hartford, CT – Link #5 above.

3 kelsey williams July 7, 2014 at 9:15 am

What a fun post idea! We recently went strawberry picking (link #3) and it was so much fun! Like you, I took a TON of photos!

4 Ceci Bean July 7, 2014 at 9:16 am

I love your positivity about Oakland. So cool to see the fun you and your family had at the game. A’s are the team to beat!

I did an Oakland post a couple months ago too: link #7 above.

5 Emily July 7, 2014 at 9:33 am

Love the idea for this series! It’s amazing what you can find in your back yard when you’re looking for it :)

6 Design Mom July 7, 2014 at 9:36 am

I love seeing the links come in! Can’t wait to click through and read about your adventures.

7 Julie M July 7, 2014 at 9:41 am

What a fun day!

My daughter is not quite ready for a major league baseball game. At 4, she has a really hard time sitting still. Ha! But a lot of ballparks offer really great tours. I was able to share an American past time & one of my favorite places, Fenway, without being stressed out about her being into a full game. Post here.

8 jen July 7, 2014 at 10:14 am

we just went this sunday with 4 families which included 8 kids including my 3 year old! our tradition is always to get there early and tailgate before the game.

9 Monica July 7, 2014 at 10:57 am

I was so glad to see that you brought back this feature! I love reading through all the links. I have to say that I kept the tradition going this whole time too…
We checked out a ball-game when we visited San Diego last year, and it was so much fun! This post totally brought me back there!

10 Design Mom July 7, 2014 at 11:43 am

So fun! I’ve read every link so far and now I’m hungry for blueberries and strawberries and want to go antique shopping/move to Seattle.

Keep the posts coming! It’s such a treat to learn about where you live.

11 Mindi July 7, 2014 at 1:14 pm

My husband and I weren’t really into any major sport/teams until we had two boys and now we love going to Dodger games. They’re so fun and I love seeing your photos from the A’s game. We’ve gone on the field once for fireworks as well. I’m really hoping to see a Giants/Dodgers and Angels/A’s matchup in the World Series this year!

12 Sally from Little Hiccups July 7, 2014 at 3:07 pm

So much fun! I’m not really much of a sports fan (ok, I’m not a sports fan at all) but I love taking the kids to an A’s game. It’s such a fun afternoon or evening out – even if the kids have no idea what’s going on! They love doing the Mexican wave, singing “Take me out to the ballgame” and my three year old screams “Let’s go Oakland” for weeks afterwards!
The first time we went to a game they invited all of the kids to run around the bases at the end of the game. My girls absolutely loved that. The next game we went to had a fireworks display at the end. I’m not sure exactly what the fire works were for as it wasn’t a special day but there was a Star Wars theme and there were Stormtroopers everywhere.
We took our little baby to her first A’s game a few weeks back when my parents were visiting from Australia (it was their first baseball game too) and she seemed to enjoy all of the bright lights and all of the people. So much for her to look at.
I never thought I’d enjoy going to the baseball but it’s such a fun atmosphere.

13 erin July 7, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Such a fun evening! My husband is a bay-area native and life-long A’s fan. I have so many great memories of going to games together while we were dating. Now that we live near Seattle, he once again gets to see his beloved A’s play. :) Looking forward to more in this series.

14 Michelle Marroquin July 7, 2014 at 5:27 pm

I’m not a native Texan and I do a lot of complaining about the state, especially in the summer when it is so hot, but I absolutely LOVE their state parks, many of which were developed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) during the Great Depression. I remember my grandfather telling me stories about his time in the CCC and sending money back to his mother, but it never registered for me until I took my own children to some of the places these men built–by hand! Hard to believe that Texas would bring me closer to my grandfather from Ohio!

15 jill July 7, 2014 at 5:53 pm

I think that’s awesome that they let others in for free after the game for the fireworks. Pro sporting events are prohibitively expensive for most families.

16 Margaret July 7, 2014 at 5:59 pm

I had fun thinking on the Love Where you Live post.
Makes me want to blog again. ;)

I’m also having fun reading all tbe other posts.

17 Sally July 7, 2014 at 11:02 pm

What great incentive…we just(as in less then a week ago) moved to St Louis and need to learn to love the place we live. We really need to get out from the boxes and go explore while we have time/before the back to school rush hits.

18 Andreina -Labrando un HOGAR- July 8, 2014 at 1:43 pm

No me puedo imaginar la alegría de ver ganar el equipo local y luego disfrutar del nacionalismo de 4 de Julio :)

19 Amy T July 9, 2014 at 11:45 am

I had just finished a month-long writing challenge by writer/artist/blogger Christina Rosalie when your Love the Place You Live exercise popped up — great timing to help me keep “showing up” at the keyboard! I love prompts, and this was especially fun because my return to personal blogging has been all about our move to a new town. Starting over is hard and amazing and taxing and magical and exhausting. Seeking out the sweet spots where we can find our family flow has been key (especially when it’s time to escape the never-ending home renovation). The lakes in Bend, OR have been my saving grace. This was fun — thanks, Gabrielle!