Love The Place You Live: It’s Back!

July 2, 2014

Maude & Oscar Exploring1

Image and text by Gabrielle.

While I lived in France, I launched a recurring column called Love the Place You Live. It’s all about exploring your own town or community — appreciating and acknowledging the good things around you. I adore travel! But the idea of this column is that you don’t have to travel to find wonder and beauty; the idea is that everywhere has something to offer.

This month marks 1 year of living in Oakland! Though I found the move overwhelming, we love it here and have been feeling more and more settled in. We’ve done some really fun exploring since we’ve been here, but we feel like we’ve only scratched the surface of cool things in our community, and I want to start exploring more earnestly.

So, I concluded that it’s time to bring back Love The Place You Live!

This is how it works: I’ll announce when the next Love The Place You Live column is going to appear. Then, anyone who wants to, can join in by exploring something in their community. It can be anything. A coffee shop you’ve been meaning to stop into. A vintage clothes store. The new library. A new-to-you park. A pretty hike. A food truck. The ballet. Anything you like! And I’ll explore something with my family as well.

I’ll write up my report and publish here on Design Mom. You can write up your report wherever you like (your blog, your Facebook page, etc.). Then, you can add the link of your writeup to my blog post. It’s awesome! It creates an easy way to explore all the different reports and is a great reminder about how much there is to celebrate in each of our communities.

Sound good? I hope so! I’m planning to post the next Love The Place You Live on Monday (that’s July 7th), and I would love you to join me. Do something fun this week or this weekend — maybe a local Independence Day parade! Then, plan on linking to your writeup on Monday.

I can’t wait to read about your adventures!

1 Cheree July 2, 2014 at 1:21 pm

I’m so glad you are bringing this back! We moved at the beginning of the year and I have been writing “Love Where You Live” posts as we discover our new found community.

2 brooke July 2, 2014 at 3:10 pm

I absolutely love this idea! Maybe this needs to be my new theme for the summer while kids are out of school. We can explore something new every week.

3 Tania July 2, 2014 at 4:32 pm

How great! I loved reading this column and all the link-ups the last time it was around. We also moved a year ago and are constantly exploring our new city – now with a baby in tow. Yay!

4 The Vintique Object July 2, 2014 at 4:55 pm

I look forward to this series since we live in the same area!
We are checking out the parade in Alameda on Friday. I love the way those gorgeous old houses decorate with bunting. So it’s just as much a design adventure as it is a 4th celebration. :)
Camille

5 Shay July 2, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Love this! So glad you’re bringing it back.

It would be neat for you to give it a hashtag so we could search on Instagram for all these great places your readers live!

6 Sofija July 2, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Glad you are bringing it back’

7 Hazel July 2, 2014 at 11:38 pm

Hi Gabby,

If you’re looking for a great local spot to watch fireworks with your kids you should check out the third (yes, third!) of July fireworks at Marina Bay in Richmond. The best place to watch from is Vincent Park, which is on a peninsula in Richmond Bay. There’s a playground and a grassy field, so it’s fun to get there early, find parking, set up picnic blankets, and then play until the show starts. Since it’s on the third it’s much less crazy than other fireworks shows in the area. Anyway, enjoy the holiday! I am so looking forward to the places you find for Love the Place You Live!

XO,
Hazel

8 Sally from Little Hiccups July 3, 2014 at 2:12 am

I’m looking forward to seeing the places you find for Love The Place You Live. I’m always on the lookout for new (well, new to me) places to go in the Bay Area and I’m sure you’ll have some great places up your sleeve.
Can’t wait to share my own as well. We’re lucky to have so many wonderful places to visit right here in our own backyard :)

9 Grace July 3, 2014 at 6:15 am

Hi Gabby! I just stumbled upon your blog and absolutely LOVE this idea! My husband and I (and soon-to-be mini) live in Korea (he’s Korean), and we just bought a house (!!). So, we’ll be moving into a new hood at the end of this month. I have already been thinking about how much I want to start exploring more (which can pose much more of a hurdle here with the language differences…searching Google for neighborhood spots doesn’t exactly turn up much, unless there are a bunch of other blogging foreigners in that community :))…but exploring new places is one of my passions, and I really miss the adventure and surprise of falling in love with previously unknown places in your own community. Thanks so much and can’t wait for the upcoming series! xo, grace

10 Katie Harding July 3, 2014 at 7:32 am

Love this! Glad to see this series is back, perfect for summer time as well!

11 Christy@SweetandSavoring July 3, 2014 at 10:22 am

Oh I’m so excited! I love this series and have wondered if you would bring it back, California style. Perfect timing, after the holiday weekend! :)

12 Kathrin July 4, 2014 at 7:15 am

Yesterday I read about an interesting project not in my neighborhood but in yours: homeless homes in Oakland, check out the link as it has to do with design and “love the place you live”!
Thanks and best regards,
Kathrin

13 Bek @ Just For Daisy July 4, 2014 at 11:08 pm

Brilliant idea! My hubby and I have been talking about this only recently. Enjoying where we live and what’s on offer here while we are here!

14 Clementine Buttercup July 7, 2014 at 2:29 pm

I love this idea. Definitely going to start doing this. Will take my camera out with me and hopefully a blog post will materialise. http://www.clementine buttercup.blogspot.co.uk