A Few Things

July 11, 2014

Studio Floor

Image and text by Gabrielle.

Hello, Friends! I hope it was a good week for you. We have some fun stuff going on at our house. 1) Ralph, Maude and our French exchange student, Charles, are all on a Pioneer Trek this weekend. 2) On Saturday, we’re adding another exchange student to the mix — one of Ralph’s friends from England, Chris, will be joining us for several weeks. Yay!

3) We’re prepping for an epic roadtrip. All 10 of us (8 Blairs + 2 exchange students) will be driving around the Western U.S., visiting National Parks and other sites for almost 3 weeks. We leave next Wednesday!  4) We installed flooring in the studio/home office this week. The floor looks great (see above) and we need to move everything back in today. 5) Yesterday, we had a new front door installed. Hooray! I’ll share photos as soon as I paint it up and add some details to the porch. 6) I’ve been shooting the cover of my book this week. It feels like progress. And also makes me nervous. I want the book to be so good.

And 7), tonight we’re hoping to meet up with friends at Point Reyes. I’ve never been, but the photos look amazing. I love how this summer is turning out! How about you? Anything fun going on at your house?

While I go work on putting the studio back together, here are a few things I’ve wanted to share:

- ONE just launched their Girls & Women Initiative! Meet Phiona Mutesi, their first guest curator.

- Penny In Your Pants.

- Related, something called Bicycle Face was once a medical condition. Hah!

- What happens when LeVar Burton gets pulled over.

- The New Yorker’s hilarious take on Eloise, at 46Thanks, Dani.

Mater Mea — a bimonthly online magazine that celebrates the lives of women of color as they balance work and motherhood.

Taryn Brumfitt’s story has me thinking.

- Free paper crafting class for Bay Area readers — or you can access it online from anywhere!

- Is parenting in crisis?

- This story is great: The letter that kicked of a radio career. (Proof that there’s never any harm in asking. The worst that can happen is someone says no.)

- Everything you need to know to host an Outdoor Movie Party.

- The music is the best part!

I hope it’s a wonderful weekend for you and yours. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. — You can follow along to all of our summer activities, like Pioneer treks and new front doors, on Instagram.

1 Anna July 11, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Oh, I love that floor! The whole picture reminds me of a painting by Vermeer, with that crips light (don’t know if you know what I mean…)

I also love the little stairs. What do you use them for?

A good weekend to all.

2 Anthonia July 11, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Oh wow! Thank you so much for highlighting our site, it means so much to me!

3 Lily July 11, 2014 at 8:21 pm

The exchange students’ families don’t mind sending their kids to another country for such a long period of time? I would feel so uncomfortable sending my children off to their friends’ places for more than a week or two! It is such a great experience for the kids, but I would feel crippled with anxiety that I would be burdening the hosts.

4 Sally from Little Hiccups July 11, 2014 at 9:43 pm

When I was at school in Australia there were quite often German and French exchange students that would stay with a family in my town for an entire school year! And many of the kids I went to school with went to Germany as exchange students themselves. Some stayed for the full school year and other for a “short” exchange of 10 weeks or so.
I would love to send my kids on an exchange when they’re older. Actually, I’d prefer to go with them and experience life in another country as well – which is actually what we’re doing right now :)

5 Sally from Little Hiccups July 11, 2014 at 9:46 pm

That road trip certainly sounds epic! Looking forward to following along on instagram :)
Enjoy Point Reyes tonight. It’s such a beautiful place.

6 Robert Mahar July 11, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Gabrielle,
A warm thank you for the shout out to my Creative Live class – it was incredibly kind of you and so appreciated!
xx Robert

7 Joan Garrett July 11, 2014 at 11:23 pm

If you are headed to Glacier and Yellowstone – Missoula is a great stop over. It’s a bit more laid back than Bozeman and the people are friendly. There are great rivers to float, wonderful farmers markets, good food and in general fun experiences. I love where I live. Let me know if you want more info. Happy to help.

8 Shannon Bradly-Colleary July 12, 2014 at 10:04 am

Hello sweet lady — thanks for sending folks my way to read about Ms. Brumfitt. You are always such a generous person in all that you do.xoxo

9 Sally D. July 12, 2014 at 6:39 pm

Curious what vehicle you’re going to use for 10 peeps on your road trip? Large van?

10 Design Mom July 13, 2014 at 9:08 pm

That’s right! We’re renting an extended cab van.

11 Marni July 12, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Is your exchange student Mormon also?

12 Design Mom July 13, 2014 at 8:57 pm

We have two exchange students at the moment, and neither are Mormon.

13 Jenny July 14, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Absolutely loved the Taryn Brumfitt video!! Fantastic, courageous. It made me pause and wonder what one word I would use to describe my body. I decided on “powerful.” I plan on sharing this video with my 3 daughters. Thanks.

14 Sarah W July 15, 2014 at 12:17 am

You always have the best links! I especially loved the Taryn Brumfitt one! I am so there with the hating my body thing and I watched a related video where she gives tips on how to reframe your thoughts about your body and they were so helpful! Thank you for sharing that! I also appreciated the article on the parenting crisis. My mom just recently told me about the article but this was my first chance to read it. It really rang true to me. I’ve been trying to work on some of those things with my own kids previous to seeing this, and it’s nice to see some validation. Your road trip sounds like a blast! I loved road tripping when I was a kid! I hope you guys have a great time!

15 Rachel Beavers July 15, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Not sure where you are heading but we just left Yosemite and it was beautiful. The weather was very hot but the scenery did not disappoint. We visited the Yosemite Valley, Merced Grove (sequoias) and Hetch Hetchy. Also hiked to Carlon Falls and hung out there. A must see! Hope y’all have a great trip!

As for flooring, have you ever seen epoxy rocks? It’s small polished pebbles mixed with epoxy and smoothed onto floors. A pretty, natural and durable flooring. My brother had them in his Idaho home.