A Few Things

July 3, 2014

4th of July 20111

Image and text by Gabrielle.

Hello, Friends! How are you? I’m sharing my link list a day early this week, because tomorrow is a holiday. Can I tell you how excited my family is for Independence Day? We’re feeling very patriotic just being here in the country (we didn’t move from France last summer till July 15th if you’re keeping track). In fact, last Sunday in church we sang American anthems like America the Beautiful and The Star Spangled Banner, and it made me super happy to belt them out!

Our plans are: waterpark, BBQ and watching fireworks. And running around with the kids in red, white and blue (of course!). How about you? For my American readers, will you be celebrating tomorrow? And for my readers who are not American, forgive me for posting my link list a day early. : )

We bought a BBQ on Monday and it’s supposed to be delivered today. Assuming it arrives intact, tomorrow will mark the inaugural BBQ get-together at the Treehouse! While I check in with the delivery truck, here are a few things I’ve been wanting to share:

- Life changing password?

- Kids getting too much screen time this summer? Lock it up.

- An Adopted Child’s View of the Christian Adoption Movement. Woah.

- The trick to mixing patterns in a nursery.

- Hilarious. If Independence Day never happened.

- 5% of sales from this Joss & Main flash sale go to Habitat for Humanity.

- Nazi’s “perfect Aryan baby” was actually Jewish.

- Want to add to the research on adult peer relationships? Take this survey.

- “I Just Watched The Notebook and Am Here to Ruin It for All of You.” Dying laughing! (But it’s written with lots of cuss words, so not for everyone.)

- And one more funny from The Onion. Does anyone else relate to this?

I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Yay for fireworks! Yay for sparklers! Yay for America! I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. — The image is a a #throwbackthursday to our first 4th of July in France.

1 Tania July 3, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Are these really your kids three years ago? It’s crazy how they’re grown!

Happy fourth of July! It’s our first Independence Day in US (we’re from Canada), so it’s all quite new and exciting!

2 Yvette July 3, 2014 at 7:48 pm

Typo alert–”we didn’t moved from France.” Just thought you’d want to know!

3 Design Mom July 5, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Thanks, Yvette! Just fixed.

4 julia g blair July 3, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Happy 4th of July to the beautiful Ben and Gabby Blair family! Love the photo
of your celebrating in France. Grateful for the USA and for each of you!

5 Jamie Grumet July 3, 2014 at 8:56 pm

Wow, Gabrielle. Thank you so much for sharing my son’s words.

6 Nat July 3, 2014 at 9:07 pm

re. adoption post – I salute you and the boy’s mother for bringing attention to his words. more people should read his words before they make the decision to adopt.

7 Kristin July 4, 2014 at 12:01 am

Thanks for sharing the adoption post. As an adult adoptee, I really resonated with some of that child’s thoughts – not about the Christian Adoption Movement per se, but about adoption in general. I was impressed that this parent was asking her child these questions – many parents seem to believe that adoption is all about love and if you just love your child there will be no other issues for the child. Many adopted children are not willing to speak so openly to their parent for fear that they will hurt their parent or that their own feelings are not OK. I so agree with this child that our resources should be going towards keeping more families together.

8 Kathrin July 4, 2014 at 7:12 am

Dear Gabrielle, I’m following your blog since a while and love it! Thanks for sharing glimpses of your live and your amazing creativity with us!

9 Morgane July 4, 2014 at 7:31 am

Votre famille est adorable!

10 Michele S. July 5, 2014 at 12:33 am

“Mom Spends Beach Vacation”- I just came back today from this very same vacation. HA! Thanks for the share. Happy Independence Day to you, too.

11 Design Mom July 7, 2014 at 4:36 pm

That one cracked me up as well!

12 Grace July 7, 2014 at 2:48 am

So I’m from the south but have noticed that BBQ means something different to people. For me it means brisket pulled pork and lots of sauce. So you can imagine my disappointment when I get invited to a BBQ and what it really is is a cookout-chicken and hotdogs on a grill. So I have to ask, what BBQ are you getting delivered?

13 Design Mom July 7, 2014 at 4:42 pm

I hadn’t thought of that, Grace! In the west, BBQ can mean the actual meat-with-sauce — BBQ pork, BBQ chicken, BBQ beef. Sometimes it means shredded, slow-cooled meat, but it can also refer to any cut of meat served with BBQ sauce.

And, it can also be used interchangeably with “grill”. As in I bought a grill/I bought a BBQ. Or, let’s grill some burgers/let’s BBQ some burgers.

And, it can also refer to a get together where some or all of the food will be cooked on an outdoor grill. As in, come on over for a BBQ, and please bring a salad or a watermelon.

The BBQ we had delivered was a grill. Though, we actually ended up picking it up in the store instead of having it delivered. : )

14 Kelly July 7, 2014 at 9:51 am

I love your blog Gabrielle! I love hearing about your family; how you use design in the home; the recipes. And I do like your cafemom articles. However, when I click the link to cafemom, some very Non-Designmom articles are on the side bar or below, like ‘The Ten Ugliest Celebs” or “Celebrities that have aged Terribly”. It just doesn’t seem to go with the positive, healthy- family environment of your blog. Sorry, don’t mean to be a downer, but this has been a question in my mind for awhile now…..

15 Design Mom July 7, 2014 at 4:44 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Kelly! I think you make a good point. Instead of writing 4 posts for Cafemom each month, I now only write one. But perhaps I shouldn’t be writing for them at all.

When I first started writing for them several years ago, the surrounding stories had a different feel. Maybe I need to move on. I’ll definitely think about it.

16 Kelly July 8, 2014 at 8:15 am

I appreciate your response. I’m sure it’s hard to pass up a paying gig when there are bills to be paid. It just doesn’t seem to resonate with what you are putting out in the world. Wishing you all the best with grappling decisions! They’re tough ones to make!

17 vape pen kit December 9, 2014 at 10:58 pm

The worrk related stress can be a real cigarette structurally.
You can happily inhale how to quit smoking nicotine vapour.

When you bring the tobacco. And in fact is that you
got to be tailored for every one is a tank. People aree now being offered
with nicotine solution in vaporized form. 6% a year, with brands you
can see exactly the same wway smoking.