Five Summer Films

June 6, 2014

TFIOS-poster

By Gabrielle. This post is brought to you by The Fault In Our Stars. In theaters June 6th — based upon the number-one bestselling novel by John Green.

——–

Can I tell you how happy I am that summer film season is here? I feel like there was nothing I was excited to see for months, then suddenly, I want to see a ton! Or at least 5:

1) Last week, Ben Blair and I saw X-Men: Days of Future Past. The last X-Men movie wasn’t my favorite, so I had low expectations for this one too. But it turns out I loved it! A really good script and story. We’ll be sending Ralph to this one for sure.

2) Then today, The Fault In Our Stars comes out — in fact, according to Twitter, some of you saw it at midnight screenings last night! This one I’m very much looking forward to. Maude, Olive, and I have all read the book. And cried over the book, too. Ralph is also excited about this one. He hasn’t read the book, but he’s a huge John Green fan. John Green is not just a best-selling author, he also has a super popular vlog that he runs with his brother. That’s how Ralph became a fan.

The story is about two teenagers dealing with cancer. I know that doesn’t sound too romantic, but it actually makes for a sweet love story. Happily, from the look of the trailer, the movie is going to stay very close to the book. Are you picky about that sort of thing? I’m medium picky. Maude is super picky. She’s a huge reader with a memory for details. So when a movie strays from the book plot, she takes it personally. Hah!

Have you read the book? Are you planning to see the movie? Here’s the trailer in case you’re curious:

3) The whole family is excited about How To Train Your Dragon 2. We’re headed to a screening this weekend. I didn’t know I would love the first one so much, but I did. I was impressed with the story, the animation, and the music too. I hope this sequal is equally good.

4) Betty and June keep asking when the new Annie is coming out. It’s a fresh (much more diverse!) take on the story and looks cute.

5) Ben Blair and I also want to see Edge of Tomorrow. We hadn’t heard much about it, but it’s getting good reviews. So now I’ve got in on my list. Lots of date nights on the horizon!

Now your turn. Any movies you’re looking forward to this summer? Any you’ve already seen and loved? And what’s your favorite book-to-movie adaptation? I’d love to hear.

1 molly ruth June 6, 2014 at 7:36 am

I really want to see “Words and Pictures” with Juliette Binoche and Clive Owen. Love the actors separately and then together I”m hoping for a witty chemistry.

2 Design Mom June 6, 2014 at 3:56 pm

I love them both separately as well — and I hadn’t heard of Words and Pictures. So now I’m adding it to my list!

3 Jan @ Family Bites June 6, 2014 at 7:47 am

Oooh, we have a day off school today and I plan on catching The Fault in Our Stars with my 14 year old. I’m also really looking forward to seeing Chef, The Hundred Foot Journey (takes place in France – you’d probably like it!), and The Grand Seduction.

4 Design Mom June 6, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Friday matinee? You’ll win a coolest mom award for sure. : )

5 Barchbo June 6, 2014 at 7:53 am

I am not a big movie person but when I am, I like to be surprised and intrigued. That said, I read TFIOS, loved it and need the movie to be true to the book. I’m always disappointed by loose cinematic adaptations. I’m with Maude.

We Netflix everything, but CHEF is on our radar.

6 Design Mom June 6, 2014 at 3:57 pm

A few people have mentioned Chef and I feel dumb because I’ve never heard of it. Searching it now…

7 Colleen June 6, 2014 at 8:14 am

Blairs,
The movie Belle is inspirational. I highly recommend this sleeper of a movie. Very appropriate for the older kids.
Colleen

8 Design Mom June 6, 2014 at 3:58 pm

I’ve only seen the trailer for Belle, but it looks great! I need to add to my list.

9 Jill June 6, 2014 at 9:03 am

TFIOS for sure! I don’t mind if they stray a little bit. Sometimes it’s necessary, I think. Divergent strayed a little bit and it was still really good! I’m looking forward to seeing Chef and Belle this summer.

10 Design Mom June 6, 2014 at 3:58 pm

I read Divergent, but haven’t seen the movie. Maude and Olive approved.

11 mary m June 6, 2014 at 9:21 am

My 11 yr old is reading The Fault in Our Stars now, and as soon as she’s done, we’ll go see the movie. I honestly haven’t even LOOKED at other movies coming out this summer. But I’m sure we’ll go see Annie too

12 Design Mom June 6, 2014 at 3:59 pm

I’m guessing people won’t be able to stay away from Annie.

13 E E Faris June 6, 2014 at 9:27 am

I just saw Chef, and really enjoyed it. Great soundtrack, great little boy playing a good role, great food.
I also really liked Only Lovers Left Alive – I think it’s the first vampire movie I have ever seen. What if you were married for hundreds of years?

14 Design Mom June 6, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Only Lovers Left Alive is another one I haven’t heard of. I am clearly out of touch. Must spend more time at the movies!

15 Grace @ Sense and Simplicity June 6, 2014 at 9:48 am

I’m looking forward to seeing The Grand Seduction. It’s my cousin’s film which always makes me proud and is set in Newfoundland which is where we are going this summer, so that also has me super excited about it. I saw the French Canadian original version and loved it so I have a good feeling that this one will also be cute and funny and scenic all rolled into one.

16 Design Mom June 6, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Your cousin’s film? How cool is that! Fantastic.

17 Amy June 6, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Maleficent was magnificent.

18 Design Mom June 6, 2014 at 4:02 pm

People seem to be really loving it. I’m not sure what it is — I currently have no desire at all to see it. But I’m starting to be convinced.

19 Victoria June 6, 2014 at 2:11 pm

We just saw Maleficent and were happily surprised. We knew it would be a visual feast, but the story ended up being much better than anticipated. There was a lovely lesson about forgiveness and misplaced anger, and we even laughed out loud at some points.! All in all we were glad we saw it. Next on the list is Chef!

20 Design Mom June 6, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Another vote for Chef and for Maleficent. Excellent!

21 Nina June 6, 2014 at 5:23 pm

I just saw The Edge of Tomorrow today! It was super fun, total Summer blockbuster. We took our 2 month old and a pair of noise cancelling headphones. I can’t let a little person keep me from catching a few summer movies!

Looking forward to Woody Allen’s new movie Magic in the Moonlight with Emma Stone (love her!).

22 Kirsten June 6, 2014 at 6:22 pm

One thing I love about TFIOS, especially as a proud Indianapolis gal, is that though it wasn’t filmed here, the production company sought out local artists for the movie’s sets. And one of those artists, Kate Oberreich, had work commissioned to play the part of Hazel’s sketches. The little local arts magazine I manage got to chat with her about the experience and about how many tissues are necessary when watching the movie – http://www.skybluewindow.org/indianapolis/seeing-stars/Content?oid=2232955

23 Sally from Little Hiccups June 6, 2014 at 11:34 pm

I honestly can’t remember the last time I went to a cinema to see a movie that wasn’t for my kids! It was definitely more than 3 years ago. Must fix that.
The Fault in Our Stars looks great in the trailer so I’m thinking I might have to break my non-animated movie drought and go check it out.
On a side note, does anyone else get the song from TFIOS trailer stuck in their head every time the ad comes on tv? I don’t know what the song is but it’s so catchy. Or maybe that’s just my mushy, baby brain ;)

24 Pamela June 9, 2014 at 8:17 am

The new Woody Allen movie with Colin Firth and Emma Stone! Magic in the Moonlight!