A Few Things

June 27, 2014

Gabrielle Blair in a Tree

By Gabrielle. Image by Ben Blair.

Hello, Friends! How was your week? In my own life, I tend to measure my days by productivity (I realize, it’s not always a great measurement), and in that light, this week was not my best. But, if I measure it in laid-back family time, it was a pretty decent week! : )

This weekend, we’ll be picking up Olive & Maude from Girls Camp, stopping by Lowe’s to choose some items for the Front Porch Makeover we’re working on, and I’d love to find a good place to go walking. How about you? Any fun plans?

While I read your (awesome!) procrastination tips, here are a few things I’ve wanted to share:

- Have you heard of anti-jokes? Thanks, Laurie.

David Sedaris meets Fitbit.

Typographic blocks.

Two parent households can be lethal.

Pantone directory of skin color. Thanks, Maude.

- OKGO’s new video.

- Bright Lights & Brothels. Hard to read, but we need to read it.

- Just as I suspected — one of my ancestors must have been terrified of spiders.

- Charming! Sarah Jessica Parker and Jerry Seinfeld.

- One 12 year-old’s solution to keep babies from being forgotten in cars.

- What do you carry to the beach? I’m considering this mesh tote.

- A sweet read. How my parents fell in love, 30 years later.

I hope you have a happy weekend! I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. — Did I tell you I finally did some tree-climbing in our backyard? It was super fun! I’m sorry I waited so long.

1 Sally from Little Hiccups June 27, 2014 at 11:38 am

Your backyard is just the best! I would’ve been up in the trees with the kids straight away :)

The East Bay is full of great places to go walking – as long as you don’t mind hills! I keep looking into Oakland Urban Paths who hold organised group walks. I’ve never been on one of their walks but I plan to use their maps for my own walks. http://www.oaklandurbanpaths.org/

2 Design Mom June 27, 2014 at 11:45 am

Thanks for the link, Sally! So glad for another resource. The book I’m working from right now is called Secret Stairs.

3 Sally from Little Hiccups June 27, 2014 at 11:54 am

Thanks for the tip. Just ordered Secret Stairs :)
Have you been to Indian Rock Park in Berkeley? There’s a lovely pathway (lots of stairs) leading to it and the most amazing views over the Bay from the top of the boulders. It’s my new favourite place to walk and my kids love scrambling up the boulders – they refuse to go up the carved in staircase, of course!

4 Amy H. June 27, 2014 at 11:44 am

Have you checked out walking in Tilden Park? It’s got a great paved trail along the high skyline — it’s called “Nimitz Way.” Of course, there are tons of wonderful hiking trails in Tilden Park as well, and in Joaquin Miller Park, but I love walking the Nimitz path no matter what the weather:

I believe large segments of the Bay Trail are now completed and open so you can walk along the shoreline for miles in Oakland/Alameda/Emeryville/Berkeley:

5 Amy H. June 27, 2014 at 11:45 am

Reposting just in case (I’m in moderation — I’m guessing b/c of the links to maps):
Have you checked out walking in Tilden Park? It’s got a great paved trail along the high skyline — it’s called “Nimitz Way.” Of course, there are tons of wonderful hiking trails in Tilden Park as well, and in Joaquin Miller Park, but I love walking the Nimitz path no matter what the weather.

I believe large segments of the Bay Trail are now completed and open so you can walk along the shoreline for miles in Oakland/Alameda/Emeryville/Berkeley.

6 Nina June 27, 2014 at 1:40 pm

I’ve got The Sleepwalkers Guide to Dancing on my list for this Summer. Marie Claire recommended it as well. Two recs in the same week mean I need to put it on my list!
Love your Few Things, it makes me so happy!

7 Christie June 27, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Re a beach bag, I just bought a ‘Catalina’ bag from Lo & Sons, and it’s fabulous! Perfect travel bag for picnics, beaches, or weekend getaways. Check it out. :)

8 Sharon June 27, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Go walk around the Lafayette Reservoir if you haven’t yet! There’s a great playground, too, that June would love. It’s 2.75 miles around, all paved, though there is a rim trail, too, that’s for much more hearty hikers. No bikes, but you’ll see lots of dogs (on leash).

9 Emily June 28, 2014 at 12:08 am

Try the Lafayette Reservoir. Bring a picnic and play on the playground after.

10 Michelle Pagni June 28, 2014 at 12:34 am

Hello Gabrielle – I wanted to send you a thank you note after attending ALT, but realized I had no address to mail it too. I thought I would take a moment to comment on your blog and tell you here. I am a new blogger, in fact I had to start over on the wordpress platform after returning home. It has been totally crazy here too this past week trying to get back on schedule, while processing all the incredible information I learned. Thank you for creating ALT, for being a dedicated and inspiring blogger yourself, and for hosting our Tuesday night dinner. I was so thrilled to be able to sit beside you. You are very kind and genuine and made us all feel amazing to have attended that evening – so thank you, thank you. I look forward to many more ALT SUMMITS!

11 mary p. June 28, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Come to Alameda – awesome walkable path from the rock-wall area all the way to the end of Broadway or around Bay Farm.
Beach Bag: For the last three years I’ve bought a bag from Mixed Bag Designs – their Large Zip Tote. They’re a Bay Area company and you can recycle the bag at the end of it’s life.

12 Sonia June 30, 2014 at 6:55 am

Re: Bright lights & brothels. Thank you for posting such an important article.

13 Ari June 30, 2014 at 9:44 am

Sometime quality time with your family is the only thing you need to relax. So I’m happy for you :) You don’t need to be productive all the time. Greetings from Germany

14 JR June 30, 2014 at 10:19 am

Just wanted to say your hair looks fantastic – you are rocking the bangs!

15 dawn @peek photography and design June 30, 2014 at 6:16 pm

typographic blocks? YES! a thousand times YESSSSSS!