A Few Things

June 6, 2014

Bearded Betty

Image and text by Gabrielle.

Hello, Friends! How are you? Was it a good week? Ours was full of end-of-school-year activities. Yesterday was Hero Day at the elementary school and Betty dressed up as Ben Blair! The last day of school is next Thursday — I’m guessing Monday thru Thursday will be pretty laid back. This weekend we have lots going on. A track meet, a birthday party for a friend, and a family cousins get-together on Sunday. Should be fun!

Also. This is cool. Saturday morning, our whole family will be hosting an early screening of How To Train Your Dragon 2 in Emeryville— it’s part of the Fandango Family Screenings. If you’re a Bay Area family, you can win tickets to join us at the showing! Popcorn and soda included!! Send an email to DesignMomScreening@gmail.com for more information and for your chance to win. Emails will be accepted until 5:00pm today (that’s Friday, June 6th). Then one lucky family, chosen at random from all emails received, will be notified by 6:00pm. See you at the movies! #fandangofamily

Now, while we get ready to embrace the busy weekend, here are a few things I’ve wanted to share:

- It’s been over 50 days. BRING BACK OUR GIRLS! #bringbackourgirls

- On compromise.

- Cute! She made an infographic about important family information (like who enjoys ice cream most).

- Do you want to be “exceptionally likeable“?

- The Bloggess is the Bluebird of Happiness.

- How ingrained is sexism in our culture? Well. Turns out Americans are less fearful of storms with female names.

- It’s the 70th Anniversary of D-Day today. And a 93-year-old WWII vet will parachute into Normandy — again — to mark the day.

- The 15 Coolest DIY Gifts for Father’s Day.

- A one minute version of Jim Carrey’s commencement speech. So good!

- Manifesto against the tyranny of luxury kitchens.

- It’s time for another Olive Us Contest! Share your favorite episode and win $15o to Amazon. Details here.

I hope you have the happiest weekend. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. — My inbox has had some heavy heartbreak in it this week — a reminder to me that everyone I encounter is probably having a rough time of it in one way or another, and that I need to be ever kinder. For those in a hard spot, I hope people are nice to you this weekend. : )

1 Brimful June 6, 2014 at 12:43 pm

A great list of links this week Gabrielle! Thanks :)

2 Sally from Little Hiccups June 6, 2014 at 12:48 pm

I love that Betty dressed as Ben Blair for Hero Day at school!

3 Robin June 6, 2014 at 12:54 pm

One of my favorite quotes – Be Kind for Everyone is Fighting a Hard Battle

4 Design Mom June 6, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Beautiful words, Robin.

5 Pamela Balabuszko-Reay June 6, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Gabrielle,
Thank you for the reminder to be kind. I wonder sometimes how many other people I meet in my daily life want to just be at home- privately dealing with difficult times. Instead we need to be a part of the world- putting a smile on our faces. Not easy.
Hope your next e-mails contain good news from loved ones and readers of your blog. My inbox has been full of sadness too. I need to take some time to reach out and remind people I care about them.
I also need to remind myself that it is ok to hide out and say no when I don’t want to put the smile on.
Hugs to all. We’re in this together.

6 Design Mom June 6, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Yes. Here’s to happier emails. : )

7 Amy Mendelblatt June 6, 2014 at 3:29 pm

I heard the report about the female hurricane names….but as a northerner living in florida, I’ve got to admit that ALL hurricanes scare the bejeezus out of me!

8 Kristy Harvey June 6, 2014 at 6:01 pm

She looks so adorable! Three cheers for summer! Thanks for the fun links. Have a great weekend!

9 april June 9, 2014 at 12:35 pm

Any time I begin to lament something in my tiny kitchen with no-name appliances and ugly counters, I remember that Julia Child taught herself to cook in a tiny-really tiny!-impractical space. And then, I go back to enjoying just being in the kitchen :)

(Here’s a link to a picture of her in that kitchen: http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/12/26/books/review/KUMMER-1292028030761/KUMMER-1292028030761-popup.jpg)

10 Michelle g. June 10, 2014 at 6:27 am

Betty as Ben Blair…..so sweet and she looks adorable. Love it.