Moms + Social Good Event & Ambassador Power

May 20, 2014

5E5A9541b

By Gabrielle. Photo credits: United Nations Foundation | Amy Sussman.

I’ve been meaning to tell you a little about my trip to New York earlier this month. Ambassador Power was speaking at the Moms + Social Good conference and I was invited to moderate. What an honor!

We talked about fascinating things like the realities of her work and home life — bedtime stories interrupted by phone calls from world leaders (can you imagine?!). We talked heart-breaking things, like the kidnapped Nigerian daughters. And we got emotional as talk turned to the children that needlessly die as war intersects with their childhood. We talked about light-hearted things, too. I asked her about her strong name and wondered if she gave her kids similarly powerful names.

It was a really good talk. And that comes as no surprise, because Ambassador Power is terrific. Obviously, smart as can be and passionate about improving the world, but also delightful to talk with. Friendly and personable, she kept the whole room enthralled easily. The interview went much too fast and I found myself wishing I could chat with her for hours!

5E5A9571b

This is the second year of the Moms + Social Good event — a partnership between Johnson & Johnson and the United Nations Foundation. The whole conference was live-streamed, so women could watch it and take part wherever they are in the world. If you’re curious, you can find images, video and reports about the day here.

The event was truly well done. It acted as the finale of the Global Moms Relay. The relay is new to me, but I’m already a fan of the whole idea. What is the Global Moms Relay? It’s this: from International Women’s Day through Mothers’ Day (March 7 through May 11), 30+ celebrities and community leaders from New York to Nairobi answered the question “How has a mom changed your world?”. Powerful stuff!

5E5A9546b

If you’ve read Design Mom for awhile, you may know I’ve worked with other advocacy groups — like OneMoms and Every Mother Counts — that work to help mothers around the world. Both of these groups (and many, many more) were present at the Moms + Social Good event. It’s so important to me to keep talking about these issues, keep them in the news, make sure my elected officials know how I feel about them. And this conference felt like an amplification of all those things. I’m so grateful I had the opportunity to attend.

P.S. — I know when I mentioned Ambassador Power earlier, there were comments that she is a favorite role model for kids. I love that! Are you familiar with her work? Maybe you’ve read her books? I’m so impressed with her — I feel like a fan girl!

1 Ania @ The New Diplomat's Wife May 20, 2014 at 5:57 am

hear, hear for the diplomats! what an amazing interview experience, congratulations! hopefully this also helped to shed a little light on the good work that she and the broader diplomatic community continue to do on our behalf .

2 Design Mom May 20, 2014 at 11:13 am

“hopefully this also helped to shed a little light on the good work that she and the broader diplomatic community continue to do on our behalf .”

I hope so too. You can count me among the citizens who feel like there is a bit of mystery around ambassadors and diplomats. It’s hard to get a sense of what their 9 to 5 looks like.

3 Ronna Wyse May 20, 2014 at 7:16 am

What an amazing opportunity! FABULOUS shoes btw!

4 Design Mom May 20, 2014 at 11:12 am

Hah! Those shoes. They are my favorite! I always feel so confident in them.

5 Lindsay / Shop Ella Lou May 20, 2014 at 10:15 am

What an honor! I was thrilled when Samantha Power was appointed ambassador! If I were to have the opportunity to meet a single American female political leader, it would be Samantha Power.

I have read her book “A Problem from Hell: America and the Age of Genocide” twice – it is hands down one of the most powerful, riveting international relations/policy books I have read. It should be mandatory reading for all political science and international relations/affairs majors because it would very likely change the way leaders approach intervention to prevent genocide.

I greatly respect that you are using the public forum you have created through your blog to work with leaders to promote social justice. And, similarly, to share your work with your readers to increase awareness and spur action. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us!

6 Design Mom May 20, 2014 at 11:14 am

I hope you get to meet her someday, Lindsay. I’m sure you won’t be disappointed.

7 Michelle May 20, 2014 at 11:49 am

Wow! I sheepishly admit that I was only familiar with the name Samantha Power, and with very little of the work behind the person. It’s refreshing to hear these topics discussed in a clear, concise manner without losing the inherent complexities – I’m definitely guilty of checking out from system overload. I have a ridiculous number of tabs open right this very minute from this talk. I think I’m also officially now a “fangirl” of hers too!

I really appreciated the organization and structure of your questions. I always want to imagine myself as someone who actively educates myself on world issues, but the reality is that I end up wasting that time elsewhere. So thank you for being a part of this, and intersecting your blog with this sort of advocacy.