Image and text by Gabrielle.
Hello, Friends! How are you? Are you ready for the weekend? With the exception of a BBQ on Saturday, I’m going to be on the couch all weekend — doctor’s orders. My poison oak situation has become infected and my foot has swollen to twice it’s normal size. Blech. But I have medicine and cream and I’m going to keep my foot elevated, and I know I’ll be on the mend soon enough. While I hang out, Ben Blair is taking 3 of the kids to this. How about you? Any good plans?
While I get started doing not-much-of-anything (actually, I hope to catch up on email!), here are a few things I’ve wanted to share with you:
– Solar Roadways – the narrator is obnoxious, but these seem amazing!
– Like everyone on the planet, I’ve been thinking about Maya Angelou. NPR ran a 1986 interview with her on Wednesday and so many parts of it stuck with me. She recites poetry and sings. She talks about being influenced by Shakespeare and understanding that if a white man from centuries ago could write the way she felt, then she too could write the way a Chinese man felt, or how a Jewish boy from Brooklyn felt. She talks about how her muteness became an addiction. So good.
– The response to the Reading Rainbow kickstarter made me happy.
– Have you heard of Manhattanhenge?
– Dark walls in a nursery.
– I didn’t discover the #yesallwomen stream until mid-week and my heart breaks every time I read it. I could add a dozen of my own experiences to the stream. Every female I know could. Not sure what #yesallwomen is? Start here for a good explanation.
– Related, I think this article, titled Your Princess Is In Another Castle, is excellent.
– Also related, if dads want to raise ambitious daughters, they need to do half the housework.
– A fun elephant lamp that children can build by themselves.
– Yay for gardening with kids!
– The Monied — a lifestyle blog through a financial lens.
I hope you have a wonderful weekend. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.