A Few Things

May 23, 2014

Blair-Swing-2-FrameB

Image (an animated gif) and text by Gabrielle.

Hello, Friends! How are you? I noticed on my social media feeds yesterday that school ended for some people this week. You too? Our schools continue through the second week of June, so we still have 3 weeks to go. But, we do have a 4-day weekend! No school today and of course, no school on Monday for Memorial Day. So we thought an adventure was in order, and we’re headed to Sequoia National Park. Woohoo!

I’ve never been to Sequoia and I’m really looking forward to it — it’s the one with the tree you can drive through. : ) Have you ever been? We’d be delighted with any advice you want to give. We’re getting on the road first thing, but before we head out, here are a few things I wanted to share with you:

- The slickness of sexism — in response to the abrupt firing of the NYT Editor in Chief. This is a great short writeup, and in the writeup, the first 4 links she includes in the first line are all super smart as well. Thanks, Hannah.

- It’s not just snowflakes. No tears are alikeThanks, Sara.

- “How do I shake a hand that isn’t there?” Excellent videos from a British organization called Scope. Thanks, Amy.

- Getty images Lean In collection. What do you think? Accurate? Too clichéd?

- It’s the Nordstrom half yearly sale. I always go straight for the shoes. These sandals are so attractively simple — do you think they stay on?

- Best. Roommate. Ever. (Be aware: lots of cussing — but made me laugh!)

A family tries to make sense of what happened and what happened to them as the 9/11 Memorial Museum opens. How do we make sense of tragedy and tourist attraction? Thanks Elizabeth.

- Nightstand upcycled into a play kitchen.

- 10 years of ONE.

5 stylish storage ideas for a little kid room.

- The myth of the special needs super momThanks Vrylena.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend! I’ll meet you back here next week. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. — The image at top is an animated gif I made of our swings. I can’t decide if I like or if it’s too jumpy. : ) But I sure love the swings!

1 Sally May 23, 2014 at 8:08 am

My husband used to live in that area and we visited Sequoia a couple of times. As with most Nat’l Parks…getting off the beaten path is well worth it, it’s just a little harder at Sequoia because of the way it’s set up. We did some of the less popular hikes and we took our time just enjoying everything, not just the big trees.
We are the ones who are officially off school! It’s nice to be done before Memorial Day…gives us time to go visit my family in Gettysburg, PA and enjoy the Memorial Day traditions there.

2 Jan May 23, 2014 at 8:24 am

I live just below Sequoia Nat’l Park in Visalia. If you are coming through this way and take Highway 198 into to the park, there are two places not to miss in Three Rivers, the little town just before the entrance gates. One is Sierra Subs, a delicious little sandwich shop with creative combinations and delicious food. But they are not open on Mondays (even Memorial Day!), so go before then. The other is Reimer’s Candy and Ice Cream–their English toffee has a slight orange flavor to it which is delicious. In the park, don’t miss the Moro Rock climb–all your kids can do it and it is an amazing view! For the older kids, be sure to make reservations for the Crystal Cave tour. Of course, with your family’s adventurous spirit, you’d probably all make it just fine! Enjoy!!

3 Susan May 23, 2014 at 9:21 am

Sounds wonderful! I am looking forward to seeing your pictures from this road trip (?)…oh, you must take one picture with your family car driving through that famous tree. That’s classic, and it’s awesome! :-) Enjoy your adventure!

4 Mary Evelyn Smith May 23, 2014 at 9:41 am

Thanks for the shout out! And I like the gif. What program did you use to create that?

5 Jenny also May 23, 2014 at 10:29 am

How is it that you find all the links I want to read? (although, of course, I don’t know I want to read them until you post them.) You’re a great curator. Thanks, Gabby!

6 Alysa May 23, 2014 at 11:32 am

I love Sequoia and Kings Canyon NP. The drive from Grant’s Grove to Hume Lake is breathtaking (if the road is open this time of year). Lodgepole is a fun area where the General Sherman tree is. Buck Rock is off Big Meadows Road and it’s a fire lookout. The views there are amazing and sunrise or sunset are the best times. Moro Rock also offers amazing views. And of course Crystal Cave is awesome for kids and adults!

7 Christie. May 23, 2014 at 1:29 pm

That ‘myth of the special needs Mom’ is a fabulous link, so well written. Look forward to hearing about the holiday!

8 Tina May 23, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Love the article & accompanying links about Jill Abramson. Well said.

9 Sarah May 24, 2014 at 3:07 am
10 Sally from Little Hiccups May 24, 2014 at 7:08 am

Enjoy your long weekend!
I haven’t been to Sequoia National Park yet (it’s on the list though) but if you’re keen to drive through more trees you should take a day trip north to Avenue of the Giants some time. There are two drive through trees! We went this time last year and it’s such a beautiful place. Plus I’m a sucker for a cheesy holiday snap and I don’t think you can get any cheesier than a picture of the family driving through a tee! Love it :)

11 goji pro efeitos August 6, 2014 at 7:07 pm

This post presents clear idea designed for the new visitors of blogging,
that in fact how to do blogging and site-building.