A Few Things

May 16, 2014

Maude 800 meters

Image and text by Gabrielle.

Hello, Friends. How are you doing today? Good things going on in your life? We’re excited that our daughter Olive arrives home from her school trip to France today. Two weeks is so long! We missed her like crazy.

We still have several weeks of school left, but we’re definitely in that winding down period. Ralph took his first AP test yesterday. Maude’s track meets are almost done. Summer is getting close — we can all feel it!

This weekend, we’re working on a fun project in the yard, and having a get together with the cousins on Sunday — it will feel amazing to have the whole family together. How about you? Any fun plans?

I’m off to change into work-in-the-yard clothes, but before I head out, here are a few things I’ve wanted to share with you:

- Did you hear that Martha Stewart is speaking at Alt Summit Summer in Salt Lake City? Her keynote will be a Q&A, and I get to be the interviewer! I’m so excited about this I can hardly stand it. Will you be there? (Announcement here. Tix available here.)

Crayola meets STEM.

Random Correlations. Endlessly fascinating.

- Something fun: I’m taking over the Lowe’s Instagram Feed for 5 days. I start tomorrow. I hope you’ll follow along!

- A cancer doctor on losing his wife to cancer. Thanks, Mari.

Maps made from iconic, regional food.

- May is Bike Month! And this bicycle is revolutionizing lives in rural Africa.

- A reaction to red-carpet commentary.

- A citrus themed baby shower.

- A park to encourage independent children. Thanks, Kelly.

- Ben Blair posted an Instagram video of little June trying to wink. Little kids winking is the best! (Watch it in the app so you can hit play.)

I hope you have a wonderful weekend. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

1 Anna May 16, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Awwww, winking cutie!

2 Giulia May 16, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Have a great weekend! We have a long weekend here in Canada to celebrate the Queen’s birthday. It’s our kick-off to summer, so a BBQ is planned.
I was wondering if you are planning on a post of how your kids adapted back to the US – do they miss French school, certain aspects of French live or did they just re-embrace the US culture?

3 Cathryn May 16, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Sarah Millican is so funny she makes your stomach hurt from laughing. (She’s a little rude, in case that bothers) but she is EXCEPTIONALLY good at her job. I LOVED that response to the critics. She rocks.

4 Becca May 16, 2014 at 3:00 pm

LOVE The Overprotected Kid article! I just forwarded the link to my husband and sister, and I’ll be rereading it after the kids are in bed tonight. Thanks for sharing it!

5 Barchbo May 16, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Martha is speaking at ALT Summer? WOW! That’s so cool, Gabby!

6 Michele May 16, 2014 at 3:31 pm

The playground article reminds me of the Adventurd Playground in Berkeley, bug with less rules. I’ve never been there myself but I remember seeing it on drives into SF as a child.

7 Christy@SweetandSavoring May 16, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Those food maps are so eye-catching! I love anything to do with maps. I think if I had my very own room, I’d decorate the walls entirely with map art :)
Have a good weekend, Gabrielle!

8 Joanie May 16, 2014 at 11:46 pm

Great links. Loved the overprotected children article. I am running an after school club for kids in london and the health and safety regulations are over the top and I think have nothing to do with the kids safety , it’s all about adults not wanting to get blamed or sued . Esp interesting point about the drops in ability to elaborate and think think for themselves. I see this everyday. Kids are not allowed to “just play ” and do things on their own…. Thanks again for your great blog.

9 Claudia May 17, 2014 at 11:03 am

Dear Gabrielle,
Could you post about after school activities for kids. ( like ballet, sports, etc. ) I would like to know your opinion since you have lived in others countries.

10 Hayley May 17, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Question- Not sure if you have discussed it before… but what program or method do you use for keeping track all of the schedules in your household? I just have two schedules to coordinate and I still feel behind! Need to find something that works.

Thanks!!

11 Tinne May 17, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Waw love your blog, I have been following it for a few months now. I just moved to San Francisco as a Belgian and I am much interested in what you liked about French culture and society. Would love to meet you at the French cultural embassy, alliance francaise one day. If you want me to invite you, just let me know.

12 Claire May 18, 2014 at 6:12 am

I love martha! What a great event that will be x

13 Rebecca May 19, 2014 at 10:36 pm

There seem to be such conflicting messages aimed at parents these days. On the one hand, we’re told we spend more time with our kids and take on doing too much for them, not giving them enough “natural consequences” or unsupervised play. On the other hand, we’re told we’re too distracted by our devices and our ever-present work/social media lives, and we don’t spend enough time really engaging with our kids.

As a Berkeley mama, I was also thinking about Berkeley’s Adventure Playground after reading The Overprotected Kid. I admit I haven’t been to the Adventure Playground, but my older son has been there with a summer camp group. I looked at their website, and there seemed to be a lot of rules, and a lot of adult engagement/supervision expected. Though they also say you can drop off kids over 7… so long as you have all the waivers signed in advance. Oh, modern parenthood: it is so confusing.

14 Mollie May 20, 2014 at 1:44 am

Yes! I totally agree!! I’ve tried to tell myself to just keep doing what I’m doing, because there are so many conflicting theories, it can make your head spin.

15 kim May 21, 2014 at 1:49 am

Hi Gabby! On a completely unrelated note to this post, I’ve just booked tickets for our family (four kids, aged 5 to 12) to go the Greece in August, ostensibly for my brother in law’s wedding in the north of Greece, but we are going for the whole month! We will spend a while in Athens, and I remember reading that Ben and yourself lived in Athens when you were first married. I wonder if you would mind sharing more about your time living in Greece, and things you loved visiting and doing whilst there? x

16 Evie Dawson May 29, 2014 at 3:03 am

Thanks for sharing the great touching post… I am glad you came up with the idea…