The Treehouse: The Living Room

April 29, 2014

The Treehouse Living Room  |  Design Mom

By Gabrielle. Images by Sarah Hebenstreit. Photo styling by Rosy Strazerri-Fridman

You guys. You guys! Two happy things: 1) The Treehouse Living Room Tour is ready to share. And 2) the Joss & Main Sale — the sale based on the living room — starts today!

JM-Logo-RGB_125px The sale theme is Modern Nature, and some of the exact pieces you see in our living room are available in the sale — some at a (cha-ching!) discount. What does it mean to have a sale inspired by the living room? Well, it means that I sourced over 100 items that seemed like they would fit really well in this space, then I sent them all to the Joss & Main team, and they took those items as a starting point, and as inspiration, and created a sale. So you can think of the items in this sale as hand-picked by me!

The sale ends next Tuesday, May 6th. I hope you check it out. And maybe find something you love.

The Treehouse Living Room   |   Design Mom The Treehouse Living Room  |  Design Mom The Treehouse Living Room  |  Design Mom

Now, let’s talk about the living room!

I am straight up in love with our living room. I love sitting on the twin sofas. I love the windows. I love the white-washed floors and the white-washed bricks. I love the long row of 3 benches that provide extra seating and give easy access to the views. I love the accordion pendant lamps. I love that the living room, dining nook, entry, hallway and kitchen are one open space. I love that I can sit with a magazine, and chat with Olive while she bakes a cake, or with Ralph while he makes a quesadilla. It’s a very comfortable, inviting, useable space. I’m excited to tell you all about it!

The Treehouse Living Room  |  Design Mom

The sofas are my favorite. Their profile is handsome (see the image at top), and they’re a wonderful size — not as small as a love seat, and not as wide as a full couch. I searched and searched for something that would fit this space in just the right way. I wanted to create a sitting area around the fireplace and still leave room for a pathway between the benches and the sofas. (If you’re curious, the sofa is also available in teal, almond and mink — we chose almond.)

The Treehouse Living Room   |   Design Mom

The coffee table is by Blu Dot. Isn’t it fantastic? It looks sort of airy and sculptural, but the marble makes it so substantial — it’s quite heavy!

The Treehouse Living Room   |   Design Mom The Treehouse Living Room   |   Design Mom

We didn’t photograph the kitchen, because it’s still the nondescript space we inherited when we moved in, but you can see a peek of the kitchen island and our barstools — they face the sitting area. (The stools are great! I’ll tell you more about them in a later post.)

I bought the fringe-y throw blanket on the sofa when I was visiting Ethiopia.

The Treehouse Dining Nook   |   Design Mom

The living room leads to the dining nook. The Thonet chairs are vintage, purchased from Book/Shop here in Oakland. The reproduction table we bought when we lived in Colorado. And we’ve had the chandelier since New York. It’s a remarkable fixture — you can read more about it here.

The Treehouse Living Room  |  Design Mom

The benches! I Instagrammed the benches a few weeks ago and they received lots of ooohs and aaahs. And I’m not surprised. They’re made of reclaimed wood, the proportions are excellent, and they’re simply handsome. The benches come in two finishes, I chose lime wash. (The benches are discounted in the sale!)

I love the benches as is, but I’m also hatching some plans for these. I’d love to have long cushions made for them, to make them even more inviting. I really want the family to actively enjoy the windows and I love imagining the kids curled up on cushioned benches watching the bluejays make their nests. I’m also considering adding a shelf to legs beneath the seat of each bench. The shelves would be a place where we could store more coffee table books.

The Treehouse Living Room  |  Design Mom

We don’t have a full shot of it, but I also wanted to point out the tripod lamp by the fireplace. I splurged on this piece, but I’m glad I did. It’s really distinctive and adds some weight and gravitas to the room.

The Treehouse Living Room  |  Design Mom

The rug is by Allen & Roth. It’s 8 x 10 feet, 100% wool, and wasn’t too expensive. That was important to me, because the rug is a bit of an experiment. I really like the plain wood floors in the room and I go back and forth on wanting a rug at all. So far, I’m a fan of this one. It adds warmth and comfort to the space and it’s easy to vacuum. But I may decide to go back to bare floors as the weather warms.

The whole room has a light/neutral palette with natural touches of wood and green. My intention was to use the light colors to help the space feel open, and to reflect the sunlight when it finds it way through the trees. And I wanted to use the natural accents to connect the living room with the forest that surrounds The Treehouse. I’m really happy with how it turned out!

Okay. That’s essentially the full tour. But I do have a few more detail shots + sources if you’d like to see.

Hippopotamus

I snapped these up-close shots during the shoot, while Sarah took the gorgeous overall shots. First up is Mr. Hippo (maybe Mrs. Hippo? hard to tell). He was here in the house when we moved in. He is hand-made and heavy as can be. He’s fabulous.

Pillow by Dwell Studio. From The Treehouse Living Room Tour.  |  Design Mom

The pillow is by Dwell Studio. It’s the one and only throw pillow in the living room! This is the first time I’ve gone the less-is-more route with throw pillows — it seems like my usual instincts are to put pillows everywhere! But simplifying makes sense in this space. There’s so much going on living-wise, that it works best with less stuff. And honestly, it feels fresh to me.

But if I’m going to have only one pillow here, I’m glad it’s this one. It’s gorgeous! And the colors are perfect for the room.

Artichokes in a Wooden Bowl

Nothing too amazing about the artichokes, but I thought they were pretty. : ) Also, that wooden bowl is another favorite. It’s another piece that came with house — and we put it to good use daily!

The Treehouse Living Room  |  Design Mom

I talked about the benches above, but I thought you might like to see an up-close shot. You may notice the lime wash looks darker in real-life than in the product photo. If you want one of your own, definitely take advantage of the Joss & Main sale, because these benches are available at a discount!

Origami Pendant Lamps. From The Treehouse Living Room Tour.  |  Design Mom

The accordion pendant lamps make me smile every time I see them. They are sculptural and stunning. I know they look like a set, but three are from EQ3 and one is from Serena & Lily. They plug in (we added outlets on the ceiling) and offer a soft, warm glow.

Ceramic Bowl

This bowl is one of the best things in the house. It’s part of the pottery collection left by the previous owners. Isn’t it amazing? (The Instamax images are by Olive.)

Oversize pinecones. From The Treehouse Living Room Tour.  |  Design Mom

We collected the pinecones at Lake Tahoe. They’re huge! And I think they fit in with the Modern Nature theme in a wonderful way.

My uncle Mark and Aunt Robin’s home is in the forests between here and Tahoe. When I was growing up, they would bring us giant pinecones like this when they visited us in St. George, and we always had a bowl full in our home as part of the decor — so these also feel like a bit of family history.

The Treehouse Living Room  |  Design Mom

This stunning chair is by Safavieh. The seat is made of leather strips. I love how the chair looks, I love that it’s comfortable, and I also love that it has a small footprint — important, because if it was bigger it would get in the way of foot traffic between the fireplace and seating area.

The Treehouse Living Room  |  Design Mom

Lastly, on the little ledge that is part of the fireplace wall, you’ll find a petite painting of the home we lived in France — complete with our vintage car! It was painted by Paul Ferney as a housewarming gift for us. Such a treasure!

Okay. Now I’m dying to know. How do you like the living room? Did it turn out how you imagined? Do you remember what it looked like when we first moved in? I’ll add a few “before” pics at bottom in case you’re curious. Have you ever lived with an open floorplan where one room blends into another? How would your family function in a space like this? And is there anything in the space I forgot to mention? Ask me about it in the comments!

P.S. — You can find all the posts about The Treehouse here. And don’t forget, my Modern Nature sale at Joss & Main is on now, and ends Tuesday, May 6th.

———

Before photos of the Living Room:

treehouse5 treehouse2 The Treehouse

{ 4 trackbacks }

Feature Friday: Design Mom | donnyosmondhome
May 2, 2014 at 9:42 am
Five on Friday... - Florence Finds
May 9, 2014 at 2:11 am
A DREAMY TREEHOUSE LIVING ROOM |
June 4, 2014 at 5:48 am
Painted Brick: Four Trends to Consider | Warm Hot Chocolate
November 21, 2014 at 5:46 am

1 Annie April 29, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Gorgeous! I love the lanterns, and the sofas, and the white washed bricks and the simplicity. Just beautiful. I love how airy it looks. I wish that I could have light-colored upholstery — it’d never work for me with four boys and two dogs. Still, such a dreamy, doable, comfortable space. Bravo!

2 Lisa April 29, 2014 at 7:45 pm

It is absolutely stunning!! I love everything about it! The 3 benches might be my fav thing though, oh and the white washed floors! It’s not surprising how beautiful it turned out, you have such talent!

3 Design Mom April 30, 2014 at 12:21 am

I think those benches are going to get their own fan club. : )

4 Erin W April 29, 2014 at 7:52 pm

First of all, the natural light in that you get in that living room is amazing! I also love that marble coffee table. The fireplace is also gorgeous! I love the color palette you used for the room, it keeps it looking so fresh and bright and works great with all the windows. It’s almost like the trees outside are part of the room!

5 Design Mom April 30, 2014 at 12:22 am

Yes! When I was thinking about colors in this space, I considered the green of the trees as one of the dominate colors in the room that I needed to work with. Technically, the green is outside the room, but it’s such a key feature that I wanted to work with it.

6 Laura April 29, 2014 at 7:52 pm

I’m in love with everything! It looks so stunning. And it was so sweet to see one of the previous homeowners in the before shot–it made me think what a great steward you are being for the home that I’m guessing they spent much of their lives in. I know it’s a bit silly, but anytime I sell something, I hope it goes to someone who will love it as much as or more than I did. You are certainly doing a beautiful job filling that gorgeous home with love!

7 Design Mom April 30, 2014 at 12:22 am

We sometimes wonder what the previous owners would think if they came to visit. I hope they would be pleased!

8 Christy April 29, 2014 at 7:55 pm

100% perfect. Seriously!

9 Kathryn April 29, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Beautiful! Inspires me to pair down all the things that gather. And the pillows, which really just end up on the floor anyway.

10 Mindy April 29, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Breathtaking! What a great job bringing the outdoors inside. Elegant and comfortable is not an easy mix but this room nails it!

11 Kristen M. April 29, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Obvious statement, but…girl, you have a gift for design! What a beautiful space!

12 Amelia April 29, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Beautiful. You are so talented. Thanks for sharing.

13 Catherine Hoskin April 29, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Light, airy, gorgeous! This definitely says California living. My favorite piece has to be the coffee table. I’ve been thinking of putting exactly the same type of table in my living room in place of a leather foot rest. This seals the deal, but then I would have to buy a new sofa to go with the new table. I believe every home has a soul, and your home looks so happy and full of life!

14 Design Mom April 30, 2014 at 12:23 am

The coffee table is definitely a stunner! And I love your description of “California living”. That made me happy.

15 callie thomas April 29, 2014 at 9:41 pm

it looks gorgeous!!! well done!! it is such a happy, clean and fresh space!! beautiful!!

16 Jody April 29, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Lovely!!

How large is your round dining table? Just curious — love it!!!!

17 Design Mom April 30, 2014 at 12:24 am

60 inches across. Very comfortable for 8, but we use it with 10 frequently and it works quite well.

18 mom in mendon April 29, 2014 at 9:59 pm

SO beautiful.

19 jen April 29, 2014 at 10:26 pm

beautiful! you did an amazing job!

20 Bonnie April 29, 2014 at 10:49 pm

Light, airy and lovely. Cushions on the benches sounds delightful.

21 Anita Warnick April 29, 2014 at 10:50 pm

I LOVE your redo! I especially love how light and bright it is. Keeping everything neutral inside leads your eye to the amazing view of trees. Just one question, how do you plan on keeping everything clean with all that white? Especially right off the kitchen. I love white, but I feel its too impractical with little kiddos running around.

22 Design Mom April 30, 2014 at 12:28 am

“Keeping everything neutral inside leads your eye to the amazing view of trees.”

Yay! That was what I was hoping for.

As for keeping all the white clean, the floors, benches and coffee table can all be wiped down. The bricks won’t get dirty — at least not from the kids. So it’s really just the couches and rug that might be an issue. The kids eat their food at the island (sitting on the stools), or at the table, or outside. So, so far no problems. But if I’m worried, I can apply a stain guard to the fabric on the sofa.

23 Anita Warnick April 30, 2014 at 7:16 pm

Thanks for making an effort to reply to people on your blog, that is one of the many things I love about your blog :)

24 sarah k April 29, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Gorgeous. Just gorgeous. So well done! And perfect in the wooded setting. I also want to know how you keep all that white so clean, though! :)

25 Christina April 29, 2014 at 11:14 pm

You are knocking it out of the park on this, Gabby! I just may have to snag a bench. Our new home is begging for a bench in the entryway and I’ve been on the hunt. This is a definite contender!

26 Design Mom April 30, 2014 at 12:30 am

I’d love to know what bench you end up with. I included at least 4 options (maybe 6 or 7? I can’t remember) in the Joss & Main sale.

27 Mandy April 29, 2014 at 11:56 pm

Wow!! So wonderful. I LOVE IT! I really love how bright and natural it looks. The floors are amazing, the couches so great, and those wooden benches are beautiful! The whole thing is just perfect. I would love my living room to look just like this. Great job! Can’t wait to see more rooms!

28 becky April 29, 2014 at 11:57 pm

I love it! I love the more neutral approach, especially given the copious amounts of windows and green just feet away.

29 Rea April 30, 2014 at 12:28 am

AMAZING!! And very stunning pieces. The view is just awesome! :)

30 ania @ the new diplomats wife April 30, 2014 at 2:49 am

love it – and i love how what you’ve chosen to put inside the space, doesn’t compete with all those amazing views and colors that you have going on outside. Actually, in our house here in Denmark, we have a similar brick colored wall – with fireplace and looks much like yours and since we weren’t allowed to paint, this has given me a few ideas on how to work around it. The other thing we have in common though is that we too have a little framed painting by Paul Ferney, and also from France, from a vacation on the beach ;).

31 Rachel April 30, 2014 at 2:57 am

Beautiful! Is your little monkey swinging from the door frame or is there a hidden bar that she’s on?

32 Design Mom April 30, 2014 at 10:13 am

She’s hanging on the window frame. We should really install a pull-up bar somewhere. The kids — and Ben Blair — would love it!

33 Hanna (mapart.me) April 30, 2014 at 3:34 am

I love how light and natural it turned out! Also – the windows are gorgeous! Such a treat to seat at the benches and adore the view outside! Your family is really lucky to live in such extraordinary home.
Talking about open space – we also live in an apartment with big open space and I find it really comfortable with my 2 little children. Whole family is together most of the time and I can keep an eye on them while cooking or working. Honestly, after living for an year in our current home I cannot imagine living back in standard (divided for rooms) space.

34 Design Mom April 30, 2014 at 10:12 am

“Your family is really lucky to live in such extraordinary home.”

I think that every single day.

35 Anna April 30, 2014 at 3:35 am

This room is absolutely lovely. And very you, from what I can tell:-)
It’s so, so beautiful and soothing!
The mix of textures and proportions of everything are so happy, it is a balm to look at. Kudos to you.
That coffe table is a work of art.
(And those benches are completely awesome!!!! Wish I didn’t live so far away..)

36 Holly Johnson April 30, 2014 at 4:08 am

I am SO inspired! The indoor/outdoor-ness of your house is totally awesome! I just love how you cannot even see walls in some views and the light is so great. The brick wall is wonderful with the logs and all of our choices for furniture are perfect. I think the grouping of lanterns is my favorite. Thanks so much for letting us see your “behind the scenes”! Now I am thinking of what I can do to refresh my living room!

37 Design Mom April 30, 2014 at 10:12 am

I love those lanterns too!

38 Amy3 April 30, 2014 at 6:03 am

Beautiful! I love how light, airy, and open it is. And I appreciate the info about the rug as we need to replace the jute rug we have in our living room.

39 Shannon April 30, 2014 at 7:27 am

Beautiful! And I remember you writing about the “little shelf”–that gorgeous and meaningful painting is absolutely perfect there.

40 kirsten April 30, 2014 at 7:30 am

It’s beautiful, Gabrielle…and those windows!

How lovely to live in a home which makes you happy every minute of every day…with the house itself and your added work and attention to detail…I’d imagine you will always feel this.

41 kim @ DESIGN + LIFE + KIDS April 30, 2014 at 8:02 am

That chair, coffee table and rug are gorgeous! Plus your floors are looking fantastic. Such a beautiful set up with the greens of your yard. Lovely!

42 Emme April 30, 2014 at 8:22 am

Oh–it is lovely!!! So beautiful! I love the layout so much more than before!! I wonder what the previous owners would think… I wonder if they would wish they had done it that way!

43 Design Mom April 30, 2014 at 10:11 am

We actually found a stash of old blueprints in one of the closests here, and some of the plans showed the kitchen wall removed — just like we had done! So I hope that means they like the idea of that wall being down.

44 The Party Fail April 30, 2014 at 8:36 am

While I am definitely enjoying how light + bright it is in the living room, I’m really amazed at how you apparently revamped the age of the inhabitants. The before had an older lady, the after, young children. Impressive!

45 Jessica @ Little Nesting Doll April 30, 2014 at 9:22 am

O. M. G. It’s just gorgeous, plain and simple. Well done.

46 Grace@ Sense and Simplicity April 30, 2014 at 9:43 am

I love the simplicity of colour and line in your living room. I bet how well the new living room turned out has helped lessen the agony of getting rid of 75% of your belongings when you first moved back to the US. It is so hard to narrow it down to my favourites, but if I had to say it would be the lines of your new sofa, the benches, and the accordion lights. BTW, what is the grid thing on your ceiling near the lights? It looks like the thing we have at the cottage to dry our mitts on, but I somehow doubt that is what it is ;)

47 Design Mom April 30, 2014 at 11:09 am

The grid! We suspended a metal grid above the pendant lamps so that I would have something to wrap the cords of the lamps around.

Here’s a detail shot if you’re curious. I got the idea from studying retail store displays. I like that it has a industrial feel to it.

48 Amy April 30, 2014 at 11:34 am

OK, I have to ask more about the hanging lamps. Where do they plug in? Your grid idea is genius, but I’m stuck on figuring out the practicalities!
You could do a post on just these lamps!

49 Jen April 30, 2014 at 9:52 am

I love every inch– but I do have a question- do you guys have a tv? Was it hidden in there somewhere or does it have its own space?

50 Design Mom April 30, 2014 at 10:09 am

We for sure have a TV. But it lives upstairs in the family room/playroom. That room is about 50% finished — it’s the same room were the Reading Loft lives.

51 Laura April 30, 2014 at 10:23 am

Same question. Beautiful space! But in just my living room there’s a tv with all its stuff, a record player, and a desk top computer. With 6 kids you must be hiding things somewhere. If not, how do you accomplish this?

52 Design Mom April 30, 2014 at 10:35 am

I guess we just use the living room differently than you might be imagining. The family desktop computer lives in the home office/studio. The TV lives in the family room. We don’t own a record player, but we do keep a small portable speaker in the kitchen — we use it to play music from our phones.

53 Bre April 30, 2014 at 9:52 am

Beautiful space! Love the photo of June running on the terrace… and the huge windows.

54 Matilda April 30, 2014 at 9:54 am

Wow what a gorgeous room! I really love how it feels like there’s no outside/inside, it’s just all one space. You’ve really invited the outdoors in, something I hope to accomplish with my future home.

Also, I am on a marble kick right now, and I have been in love with that coffee table ever since you posted part of it to Instagram a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, we really need a rectangular table in our space, or I would be all over it!

55 Matilda April 30, 2014 at 9:59 am

P.S. I just love every single item in your sale. You did an amazing job curating it! I’m considering getting the Halpert Bench (the one with the marble looking top) and using it as a coffee table (since I can’t have the beautiful round one

56 Design Mom April 30, 2014 at 10:08 am

Yay! So glad you like the sale. I think the Halpert Bench is beautiful.

57 Lindsay April 30, 2014 at 10:23 am

Stunning! Such a lovely space for your family. You are an incredible talent, and inspire us all.

58 Zoe - SlowMama April 30, 2014 at 10:38 am

So beautifully done! I love neutrals and lots of light and this space really draws me in. The sofas are gorgeous… the lines are so lovely… are the comfortable? I love modern sofas but always want a super comfy sofa which doesn’t always seem to go together. I adore the coffee table and chair. And the benches — oh, those benches! Seeing this, I’m only sorry that we’re not in a new house yet ready to buy furniture. Some day. Congrats, Gabrielle, it’s such a gorgeous space!

59 Design Mom April 30, 2014 at 11:07 am

The couches are definitely very comfortable, but our snuggliest couches are in the family room. These play a different role.

60 Summer April 30, 2014 at 10:44 am

LOVE your new space!! Your style if very similar to mine. I always tell people my style is Rustic Modern. We too live in California and have a house FULL of windows (which I love); however, it is fading everything in our house. I don’t really want to put up drapes, and want to leave the view open as much as possible. Wondering if you have the same problem with all your windows? Are you going to add solar shades (what we are considering) or anything to the windows? Again, beautiful space.

61 Barbara April 30, 2014 at 10:44 am

Your living room is lovely! As are all the other rooms you’ve decorated. You continue to amaze me with all that you do.
I’m curious about the cards that Oscar is building/playing with. Could you please tell me what they are called?

62 Design Mom April 30, 2014 at 11:13 am

They’re called Eames House of Cards. You can find them in artsy gift shops or on Amazon here.

63 Beth April 30, 2014 at 10:57 am

In the market for a new couch, but I’m hesitant to purchase something I haven’t been able to sit on… are they comfortable? Firm? How long have you had them? Do you find that they are wearing well?

64 Design Mom April 30, 2014 at 11:08 am

Yes, they are comfortable, but we haven’t had them long enough to answer your question about wearing well.

And I know what you mean about being hesitant to buy a sofa before you try it in real life!

65 Meeta April 30, 2014 at 11:09 am

I love all that natural light!!! I want a house just like this now. I love all the pieces you selected and the white washed floors are just stunning. Let us know in the future, the wear and tear on those floors with active kids. I love the brightness of it all!

66 jenny April 30, 2014 at 11:18 am

I am absolutely in LOVE with the three benches. Very handsome. And genius! I would have put these to good use as a child with all my little toys and imagination—and I can picture my children doing the same. Loads of off-the-ground surface area for imaginative play. The whole space is wonderful. Nice job.

67 Janis April 30, 2014 at 11:31 am

Gorgeous!! It’s stunning… light and airy! You did an amazing job! Keep the house posts coming!

68 Robin April 30, 2014 at 11:44 am

Which section on Joss & Main is yours? I don’t see your face or name. Is there a link directly?
I love your style!

69 Design Mom April 30, 2014 at 2:49 pm

I don’t have a direct link, but if you go here, and scroll down you’ll see it. The listing seems to be moving around. Sometimes is the first listing, and other times, it’s further down on the page. I just checked and it’s currently like 7 images down on the left.

70 Tamara April 30, 2014 at 11:54 am

I love that you have gotten rid of the throw pillows. I think I will do the same thing. I think it helps keep the space open and less bogged down.

I have to say that my favorite thing about your new room is the Paul Ferney painting on the little ledge on your fireplace. I think it makes the room so personal and fun.

71 Design Mom April 30, 2014 at 2:46 pm

Truly a treasure!

72 Jennifer April 30, 2014 at 11:54 am

Gabrielle, I love everything about this! Every last detail is perfection and all of the renovations you have been sharing (the boys’ room, the reading nook, and the family room) seem very organic to the outdoor space. You are creating such an amazing space that really inspires exploration and growth for your children, which I love!

I did have one question. Awhile back, you shared the guest room and I was curious as to whether or not that space is also getting an update. It feels a bit different than the newly designed spaces.

Beautiful choices! What a treasure (and vision)!

73 Design Mom April 30, 2014 at 2:46 pm

Hmmm. I can’t remember sharing the guest room. We don’t really have one, but there is a guest bed in the loft in the office. The thing is, I haven’t designed it yet. It has a placeholder bed that was here when we moved in, and some good-looking bed linens I already had in my closet. Maybe I instagrammed it?

74 elle April 30, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Love everything about it! Can you share the white paint color you used. Selecting white paint isn’t so simple!

75 Design Mom April 30, 2014 at 2:44 pm

I agree. Selecting white paint can by tricky! I used Origami White by Sherwin-Williams. You can read about how I chose it here.

76 Alice April 30, 2014 at 12:13 pm

I already said on Instagram (@mwncialice, feel free to follow me) but I love love love this, such great taste!!
Can I have a Joss & Main living room pretty please? Even the yellow accents are on trend.
Alice x

77 Ann April 30, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Love all the reveals this week! I love it all, I want it all! Gorgeous!

78 Design Mom April 30, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Yay! So glad it’s not Treehouse overload for you.

The next reveals will likely focus on the exterior and yard. And I’m tackling the girls bedroom at the end of the summer!

79 bec April 30, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Love everything about this room. It is definitely going into my mental dream house!

80 Ace April 30, 2014 at 12:53 pm

so very pretty. Question about the rug. Love the simple, cozy look, but the link goes to a 5×8 version. Did you find the 8×10 at Lowe’s? thanks.

81 Design Mom April 30, 2014 at 2:40 pm

You bet. I found it in store at Lowe’s. They had 4 or 5 sizes available. Online it was listed as Allen & Roth, but in store it had a different label (I think something like Denbar) — just check by the section of hanging rugs.

82 fire wife katie April 30, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Yes, yes, yes to the driftwood tones!! I have a very similar aesthetic feel in my living room, just waiting until I can save up to get new couches and driftwood toned flooring. Someone else mentioned benches – I have a bench on my list that will eventually end up in my house, that would fit perfectly in yours. The woven/worn neutral leather makes my heart pitter patter…. http://www.wayfair.com/William-Sheppee-Saddler-Wood-Bench-SAD165-WSP1030.html

83 Design Mom April 30, 2014 at 2:39 pm

That bench is stunning! And a great price too.

84 Robin April 30, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Everything is perfect and beautiful. Light, airy, serene, perfect. You did a fantastic job.

85 Julie April 30, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Oh it’s gorgeous! So light and airy – but very warm and welcoming too! : ) Well done!

86 Franca Bollo April 30, 2014 at 1:15 pm

The difference in the light between the before and after is amazing. Well done! My favorite is the quartet of pendant lights.

87 julie April 30, 2014 at 1:17 pm

It’s beautiful. I especially love the neutrals.

88 alison April 30, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Your living room is lovely! And so welcoming. Congrats!

89 Lynne April 30, 2014 at 1:31 pm

It is so lovely! What a beautiful space to live your busy lives! It feels so warm and organic and peaceful. A great, thoughtful job you’ve done!

Question, is the white on your walls in the living room the same origami white you’ve used elsewhere? (I actually just got a sample of it this morning :), thinking about painting my downstairs)

90 Design Mom April 30, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Yes.The same Origami White from Sherwin-Williams. I love it so much!

91 Joanna July 11, 2014 at 12:29 am

Is there a color code for the origami white? I can’t have paint shipped, but I love the color, and could probably have it mixed here in Norway….

92 Elaine April 30, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Please tell me about the logs in the fireplace. I would love to do this, but had heard about concerns with termites, decay, etc. What are your thoughts and where did you get these logs from?

93 Ceci Bean April 30, 2014 at 1:46 pm

I just love the feel of your living room! So bright and calm and lovely. And I was shocked that the accent chair was from Lowe’s! I usually go to Home Depot and they certainly don’t have anything so stylish there.

94 Design Mom April 30, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Isn’t that chair the coolest? I found it on Lowe’s website — I don’t think they’re available in store. The the Lowe’s online catalog is excellent!

95 Anna April 30, 2014 at 2:07 pm

That last picture is heartwarming: all those children contentedly together <3
Thank you for sharing you lovely home!

96 KatieB April 30, 2014 at 2:14 pm

The floors! My favorite. I wonder what made you go with two couches instead of just one with more chairs. I have a couch and love seat and feel like the love seat never gets used because of its too small, yet too big size. I love the way two couches of the same size look together and I’ve never heard of twin size.

You speak about getting things off your “mental” list and seeing your room together in pictures inspires me to “finish” a room. Having a blog where you hit publish must be motivating. I need that kind of motivation. Does it really feel “finished” for you ever or are you always fiddling with new ideas?

97 Design Mom April 30, 2014 at 2:38 pm

That’s so true! Having to hit publish on a post, means I make sure the photo shoot happens, and that means getting the room good enough to photograph. : ) It’s great motivation!

But of course, as you might expect, the room continues to change after the photo shoot. We switch out a plant or a throw blanket or books. Maybe I’ll make the changes to the benches that I detailed above. The room continues to evolve. But. I really do have the room “marked off my mental checklist”, meaning changes still happen organically, but I’m no longer actively thinking about how to create the space.

98 Sarah April 30, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Oh! I love it! This is coming at the perfect time for me, too, since we just bought a similar open-floor-plan house (our very first owned home!), and I’m a bit overwhelmed with all the choices I finally get to make. Some great inspiration here. I’ve been following your remodel every step of the way.

99 Kristen N. April 30, 2014 at 5:08 pm

So serene and cozy. I love that the artwork and view draw the eye instead of a TV. My husband would be thrilled if we only had one throw pillow! He always teases me about our plethora of pillows. Well done!

100 Bridgette April 30, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Hi Gabrielle. As expected, this room looks absolutely stunning! You do not disappoint, lady. :) We live in a treehouse of sorts too, but in Los Angeles. And we also enjoy having 2 sofas in our living room but are looking to replace the ones we currently have. I was checking out your sofas on the sale but couldn’t locate the interior dimensions. Would you mind shooting those over? I’m wondering about the interior length and width. Could two people fit laying down (side by side) on one of the sofas? Thanks for your help.

101 Design Mom April 30, 2014 at 5:48 pm

You bet! If you go here and click on the specifications tab, you’ll find all the measurements.

102 Allison April 30, 2014 at 5:57 pm

I just happen to be on joss and main yesterday and saw this awesome sale…I loved everything in it…then I happen to glance and see your picture…then I was like…awh!!! No wonder I love this stuff!!! Very cool!!

103 emily April 30, 2014 at 6:05 pm

really love the moments of asymmetry everywhere. such a gorgeous happy room.

104 Lisa April 30, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Amazing job! I echo the compliments from everyone else. I tried to skim all the comments–maybe someone else asked a similar question—I was wondering how many people (kids) fit comfortably on your couches. We’ve been considering a sectional, but I’m having a hard time finding a stylish one that is within budget. Maybe two of your type of couches in an “L-shape” would work?

My one hesitancy with ordering a couch online is that you don’t get a chance to sit in it first. Would you consider them comfy enough to be “family room” furniture? It’s so pretty!

105 Design Mom May 1, 2014 at 12:27 am

I’d say 3 adults per sofa (or more if we’re talking about little kids), but I would say these are not family room couches. For TV watching and serious lounging, we prefer something deeper and more cushioned. The sofas in our living room are a little more formal — and that’s on purpose. Yes, they are comfortable, but they’re intended to encourage conversation more than say, naps. : )

106 Lisa May 1, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Thanks for answering my questions–especially when you are super busy. I appreciate it!

107 Naomi April 30, 2014 at 6:53 pm

The light is so beautiful in that space- really lovely.

108 Ann April 30, 2014 at 7:05 pm

It is a wonderfully serene, light room. Beautiful job.
I’m so impressed with the cream rug, almond toned sofas and six kids!

I am loving all your house posts and would really like a retrospective on your room reveals in different homes over the years – you always have such clever ideas and clean, simple taste. And you’ve lived in such different cities which has an interesting influence on design choices. Excuse me while I commission your content (!).

I also love that framed print – I assume it’s a print. Could you please tell us a little more?

109 Design Mom May 1, 2014 at 12:25 am

Do you mean the one over the fireplace? Or the one near the benches?

110 Ann May 1, 2014 at 5:46 am

Sorry, the one near the benches…

111 Ann May 1, 2014 at 5:54 am

Ah, I meant the fireplace! Tired! And I see you’ve answered my question below – lovely to have artwork with a personal connection. Thanks. You have very detail focused readers and lots of patience!

112 Alysa April 30, 2014 at 7:45 pm

Wow — a stunning transformation! I can tell that designing is your passion. :) Also it makes me feel good to know that it took you a while to get to this point. Sometimes I walk into a lovely home and feel like it must have always been that way or have happened overnight. A post like this makes me feel like I really can transform my own surroundings.

113 Marianne April 30, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Your living room is beautiful. I’m glad you like your open floor plan but I have to say that we are now living in a very open floor plan and I’ve decided that I hate it. My family is loud and the noise is the one large open room drives me crazy. I feel like I can’t even have a conversation sometimes because all the noise is competing so everyone just gets louder. I have other issues with it also. Another one is that I feel like we are always eating and munching because we never really get out of the kitchen. We are moving this summer into an older home we bought which has a more closed floorplan and I couldn’t be happier. The rooms still flow nicely but I think some walls are going to be great and keep me sane.

114 Tamsin April 30, 2014 at 10:20 pm

My heart sank when I saw that you called the tripod lamp was a splurge, because surely that would mean beyond the reach of mere mortals like me, but I looked anyway, and the price wasn’t too bad! It’s so refreshing to see someone in the design community put together something like this that is actually attainable and realistic!

Beautiful room, beautiful kids. It looks like a room to build the happiest of memories in.

115 Design Mom May 1, 2014 at 12:25 am

I suppose “splurge” is relative. : )

116 Pam April 30, 2014 at 11:08 pm

I am in love with the transformation! We are building right now and I would love to know about the base that you put in underneath the outer windows. Is it mdf or wood? and would you mind telling me how tall and thick is it? Thank you so much! It all looks so beautiful but at the same time simple and non fussy.

117 Design Mom May 1, 2014 at 12:23 am

The baseboards are 8 inch pre-primed pine boards. You can find them at any lumber yard. I love how simple they are.

118 Kathy April 30, 2014 at 11:34 pm

The room is very beautiful. Nice job. Like Ann’s comment above, I was wondering about the framed print on the fireplace. Can you please share the source?

119 Design Mom May 1, 2014 at 12:23 am

The artwork on the fireplace was given to us by Ben’s sister, Lisa, when we lived in Colorado. Lisa’s niece is the artist and created it for her MFA show (if I remember correctly). Lisa bought it to support her niece but didn’t have a good place to display it, and I LOVED it and knew I’d find the perfect spot.

120 Sara April 30, 2014 at 11:48 pm

I think my favorite part of the room is the light and how it bounces off all the beautiful pieces you’ve chosen. I am also amazed truly by how small the actual space is and how you’ve made it work for your family. Such a great example of how you don’t need a huge room or home even to make life work for your family. Less is more and I just love it. Plus yellow is my favorite accent color. So sunny and cheerful! Brilliant work.

121 Carrie May 1, 2014 at 12:31 am

This may be a silly question, but is the branch in the clear vase real (from your yard?) or is it fake? If it’s real, how long does it last in water? I love the idea of bringing the outdoors in and love the bright green circles!

122 Design Mom May 2, 2014 at 1:01 am

It’s a branch from our yard. Maude found it. Depending on how fresh the branches are when we bring them in, they can last for a couple of weeks. Luckily, we have lots of greenery to choose from. : )

123 katy May 1, 2014 at 8:28 am

Your house and the story of how you found it have inspired me to be extremely picky in my current home search – you’ve found something extraordinary and made it even more so! Tell me, where do you store your kid stuff – we’ve got legos and toys and board games galore in our living room!

124 Nina May 1, 2014 at 10:10 am

Your house looks great! I love how bright and airy it is. The kids obviously love the space. Those yellow chairs around the dining room table are wonderful! The yellow accents are fantastic. And yellow is even my least favorite color, but it looks amazing in your living room. Thank you for sharing!

125 Tara Sharp May 1, 2014 at 12:29 pm

I love the yellow & grey blanket in the first picture. Where did you snag that?

126 Design Mom May 2, 2014 at 12:58 am

Isn’t that a fun pop of color? It’s actually a long sweater/wrap of mine that I found at Garnet Hill.

127 Megan May 1, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Oh, my goodness! Your ability to see the future of a room is breathtaking. I LOVE IT!

128 kim May 1, 2014 at 5:46 pm

Love it! wondering how the marble tabletop will hold up with spills and arts & crafts (with my own 3 kids) because I’m smitten with it :)

129 Design Mom May 2, 2014 at 12:58 am

I’m definitely crossing my fingers that crafting and spills mostly happen on the kitchen island and the metal dinner table — or especially upstairs in the studio.

130 Sara May 2, 2014 at 8:17 am

It’s gorgeous, Gabrielle! I love the overall neutral look of the space with the pops of color. And those benches are fabulous!

131 Miggy May 2, 2014 at 8:25 am

This is perfect. I love it. This type of space totally speaks to me…lots of white and neutrals, with plenty of wood (whitewashed or not). Fantastic! And the windows…with the trees outside. Do you think this might be your “forever home?” You’ve moved around quite a bit in the past few years, do you even embrace the idea of a ‘forever’ home and putting down roots, or do you like moving and changing things up? (I think about this a lot lately with our impending move to Cincinnati where we plan on settling down for the long haul.)

132 susaninfrance May 2, 2014 at 4:15 pm

it’s amazing. I have to admit I thought it might be hard to renovate, but you obviously are a DESIGNER and of course knew it would look fab post renovation! really ah-mazing!!

I’m working through my new french home much the same…..but I’m not quite at your level yet!

xoxo

133 S Oreskovich May 2, 2014 at 10:17 pm

I just had a brainstorm for my own furniture and thought immediately of your lovely couches. Hire someone to make linen slipcovers or apron type covers for your couches. You can live with them in daily life and take them off when you want to be more sophisticated. I am looking at an emerald green Danish modern chair I was given and am giddy with excitement with my plan to make a linen slipcover for it. I have five children and love light furniture – slipcovers it is!

134 Dylan May 2, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Hello! Can you tell me where you got the framed black and white artwork hanging by the benches? Love it.

135 Design Mom May 4, 2014 at 11:59 pm

Hi Dylan. It’s Fleur by Henri Matisse. I found it on Art.com a few years ago, but they no longer seem to list it on their site.

136 Jen Byard May 4, 2014 at 6:33 am

Looks amazing! So clean and fresh. Well done :)

137 Lucia Jaye May 5, 2014 at 6:03 pm

I wish you would come decorate my living room. It’s completely unfinished (still building). We live in the Caribbean (entice?).

138 Kate the Great May 5, 2014 at 10:51 pm

Your new living room surprises me– it’s much more formal than your past two living rooms have been. I remember your Colorado living room had a large bookshelf and overstuffed couches with lots of pillows and lots of color. And Ls Cressonaire– well, it’s French, so we don’t expect you to copy or emulate it, but it was still very warm and full of life.

This living room? Well, Gabby, you can’t really go wrong with the wood and the trees outside, and I like most of the individual pieces you’ve got, but it seems much colder than your past spaces. I miss the color and the dark wood tones and the painted details. I loved the color pops in your reading loft, and I had hoped that those would continue through the house.

139 sherry hart May 6, 2014 at 6:10 am

Absolutely
Gorgeous….
Love every element…
Sherry

140 Carrie Corder May 9, 2014 at 2:09 pm

I think your design has depth, interest, sophistication–the adjectives could go on and on, but I’m most impressed w/the architecture of the house, and I see again how important that is to the overall effect. You chose your home well!

141 Amanda @ Our Humble Abode May 9, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Hi Gabrielle!

I absolutely love your living room! It is so fresh, bright, and clean. But I really love the way the view is the focal point. It inspires me to pare down my stuff, go more neutral.

Question for you, I’ve looked for that rug as an 8 by 10, but can only find a 5 by 8. Where did you find that larger size? Did you have to order it at the store? Any help you have is much appreciated!

142 Design Mom May 11, 2014 at 11:03 am

Hi Amanda! I found the rug in stock at Lowe’s in several sizes. But in store, it had a different brand name (though the item numbers are the same). I hope that helps!

143 danielle May 13, 2014 at 1:32 pm

wow! I am so in love with the house, itself, first of all! the mass amount of windows and light that integrate the forest so well, just leave me so delighted and heartsick for such a home! Second of all, I love the elegant lines of your sofa’s, the fab quirk of hippo, and the print on your fireplace….Your dining room is perfection! That chandelier and its story are incredible, I die a little death for bentwood, and the table adds a little industrial contrast-sweet!!! Cheers to you from a Coloradan and former Angeleno who wishes she could find such a home!!!

144 Rachel P May 19, 2014 at 9:21 am

Your home looks like something out of a dream! What a special place to grow up! I was wondering about the rug. I have been looking for an affordable 8×10 and when I saw your photos of your living room I automatically started scanning through to see where the rug was from. I was wondering though. The picture online shows it looking a lot darker and more beige where as your looks more white/cream in your photos. Would you say your photos are a good representation of the color?

145 Design Mom May 19, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Hi Rachel. I’d say it’s somewhere between cream and beige.

146 Amy from Swag on, Momma! June 3, 2014 at 9:30 pm

THE HIPPO!!!!! And I love the room! :)

147 Joanna July 11, 2014 at 12:37 am

Just echoing most of the above comments… Love this space! I have been trying to convince my husband that we don’t need drapes in the living room – I think I have finally found pictures that might do the trick! :-)

148 Cayla October 28, 2014 at 2:07 pm

where is the framed print from? or what is the name of the piece? thanks!