Project Kid & Wise Craft

April 8, 2014

Craft Books05

Images and text by Gabrielle.

I’ve got two really cool books to share with you. Both are craft books — one for kids, and one for grownups. Oakland has been a rain fest over the last couple of weeks so I’ve been pulling out the craft books for rainy day ideas, and I can heartily recommend both of these volumes. They are chock full of solid, creative ideas!

First up, a book for the little ones called Project Kid. It just came out today so it’s fresh as can be! The author, Amanda Kingloff, was the Lifestyle Director at Parents Magazine for ages and she comes up with the happiest things for kids to make. All the projects are really doable, and they focus on materials that are easily accessible — and that you probably already have at home.

Craft Books06

I think these needlepoint fly swatters are genius — I love crafts that have a practical application!

Craft Books08

And I think these silhouette pennants look so good. You can find more about the book, book related events, plus a cute intro video, at the Project Kid website.

Craft Books01

The second book is called Wise Craft. It’s full of truly useable projects that look chic and handmade in the best possible way. The clever creator, Blair Stocker, focuses on scraps, found materials and thrift store finds for her projects, which means you can make these idea without emptying your pocketbook.

These are more sophisticated projects you’ll enjoy making yourself, and you’ll enjoy keeping around the house for as long as possible.

Craft Books02

Like these handsome felt panhandle covers.

Craft Books03

Or these charming trinket bowls — I want a stack of them!

Tell me, Friends. What’s the crafting situation at your house? At our house, everyone likes to create — whether it’s writing stories, making movies, building forts, or baking cupcakes — but I would say Betty and Oscar are currently the most likely to get crafting (and they LOVE getting inspiration from the Project Kid book, by the way). As for me, my craft-making urges come in waves, and I find myself using holidays as an excuse to get out my scissors and glitter and glue. I can totally see myself using the Wise Craft book for gift giving inspiration.

What about you? Do your kids like to make things? Do you?

1 Bestof2sisters April 8, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Really enjoyed reading about these! I can think of several people, including my sister in law, who is love to get Wise Craft for. And myself, too!!
Camilla

2 Stacey April 8, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Ohhhh – these are adorable! Those bowls – amazing! Crafting is more a lofty goal in my household but this could be a great activity for the weekend!

3 Lisa S April 8, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Well, I”m not creative and need all kinds of help..but I do like to sew and can follow a pattern. I too like crafts that have practical uses.

4 Jill April 8, 2014 at 10:59 pm

I love crafting, and when I don’t have a project it’s like my brain is pacing back and forth. Crafting helps me relax, it helps me think, and it helps me bond with my kids. Looking forward to checking out these great new sources of inspiration!

5 Anna April 9, 2014 at 3:36 am

my family and i love crafting too (we call it “knutselen” in holland). we’ve got stacks of Usborn activity books, which we think are great. but my kids like to come up with their own stuff too, whether it’s making your own crossbow or sewing blankets for cuddles and toys. i adore your blog by the way :-)

6 mary m April 9, 2014 at 9:05 am

Both of those books look great!

At our house, the 10 yr old girl is the biggest crafter. I scrapbook and quilt, but it’s sporadic due to our schedule. I’m always looking for quick easy projects that we can work on.

Something I’m a big fan of are the craft subscription boxes. Currently I get darby smart and whimseybox and both are great!

7 Katie Harding April 10, 2014 at 10:45 am

Those books would make wonderful gifts! My crafting skills can always use some brushing up and my kids would enjoy many of the ideas, thanks for sharing!

8 jweed April 11, 2014 at 8:42 am

ooooh. i am in love with both books! i’m always adding to my list of projects to do with a never ending supply of fabric AND i love repurposing things. thanks for sharing!

9 rhonda April 11, 2014 at 9:14 am