Book Report

March 27, 2014

Super easy! This poster was made from postcards of book covers by Penguin. You can buy a whole box of them on Amazon. Search: Penguin Bookcover Box

Image and text by Gabrielle.

I’m writing this from JFK while I wait for my plane to San Francisco. It’s been a wonderful, jam-packed trip to New York full of get togethers and meetings. And I was able to fit in one more meeting this morning before I grabbed a taxi to the airport — a meeting with my editor at Artisan Books!

Earlier in the year I mentioned I would be giving updates about my book from time to time, and I think today is a good day for one of those updates. Because this very week, I’m handing in the manuscript. That is a big deal! No images yet, just text. An entire book’s worth of text. My editor, Lia Ronnen, will begin reading it this weekend and then the major editing begins.

In this morning’s meeting, we didn’t look at the manuscript at all. Instead, we talked about what size the book should be and looked at a dozen existing books for reference. We also talked about what style the photography should be, and even got into a little bit about what the book design should be — an aspect of this project that I am especially excited about.

We also talked and talked about all sorts of things because Lia is endlessly interesting.

Then I was introduced to 8 people on the Artisan team that will end up helping with my book in one way or another. It was wonderful for me to put names to faces, and being in the office was so reassuring. Artisan is responsible for some of the most beautiful, most useful books out there — like the Kinfolk book and the Remodelista book and the Young House Love book too — and I know they’ll make sure that what I create is remarkable.

One of the takeaways from today’s meeting that I was most excited to share with you is the amazing poster at top. It’s a DIY poster that was Lia’s idea and hangs in her office. She used postcards of book covers from the Penguin collection, and attached them to a posterboard. Simple, genius and beautiful! I love the idea so much. I think I should copy it for the reading loft. I thought you’d like the idea too!

That’s it for today’s book report. And hey, I’d love to hear if there’s anything you’re particularly curious about as far as the book goes.

P.S. — If you’d like to see what I’ve been up to in New York, feel free to check out my Instagram stream.

1 Matilda March 27, 2014 at 10:33 am

Oh my, I love that poster so much. There are also some great mugs out there with Penguin books on them. So iconic!

2 Sheila@Chinaberry March 27, 2014 at 10:59 am

Oh congrats to you for turning in your manuscript! Heave a huge sigh of relief. Pat yourself on your back. And I can think of nothing better to do once you get home than celebrate~ Now I can’t wait for your book, sigh.
Do love that poster too :-)

3 Robin March 27, 2014 at 11:27 am

I forget – did you mention what your book is about?

4 Azra March 27, 2014 at 11:46 am

I am glad the book plans are moving along. :)
What a neat idea for the poster. Thanks for sharing.

5 Barbara @YES Spaces March 27, 2014 at 1:10 pm

I love seeing behind the scenes of your book process. Thanks so much for sharing and good luck with the editing!

6 Justine March 27, 2014 at 2:47 pm

You are right, I love that poster. I just went online and ordered some Penguin postcards. We’re all bibliophiles in my family so these will make great gifts! Thanks for the inspiration (and thanks to Lia, too).

And congrats on this huge step in your book quest! I love these update, keep ‘em coming!! :o)

7 jweed March 27, 2014 at 3:02 pm

love the postcard poster. genius!! and how exciting to discuss progress on your book. i am excited for you!

8 Summer March 27, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Wait, you’ve been remodeling a house and a cottage, raising 6 kids, leading ALT summits, aaaand writing your manuscript! I’m impressed (and feeling like a slacker ;) )! Congratulations!

Love the poster as well!

9 Shannon March 27, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Congratulations on completing your manuscript! I’m looking forward to reading about any details you’re willing to share about the publishing process, and maybe even how the project came to be in the first place.

10 Alysa March 27, 2014 at 7:42 pm

It looks to me like you have the perfect editor for your book! (With that poster as exhibit A.) You did it! You wrote a book! A book sized thing! Hearty congratulations. I’d love to hear all about the revisions and design as well as retrospectives on the origins of the book and what drafting was like. Maybe someday I will see you on your book tour!

11 Christy@SweetandSavoring March 27, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Oh, I love that you’re sharing this process! Congratulations on finishing the manuscript- you must be so full of mixed emotions right now. I can only imagine.
And glad you had such a lovely NY visit :)