A Few Things

March 28, 2014

New York Tribeca

Image and text by Gabrielle.

Hello, Friends! How are you doing? I arrived home from New York yesterday (I snapped the photo above near my hotel in Tribeca). It was such a good trip! I’m definitely on a post-travel high. That said, it felt wonderful to wake-up and go through the usual morning routine today — packing lunches and getting little June dressed and cooking breakfast and putting in some laundry. Sometimes getting to go through my usual day feels like such a treat. And I know I wouldn’t feel that way if I didn’t get breaks now and again. It has me counting my blessings today. I’m a lucky girl!

Other fun news: this morning, my sister-in-law Margaret Blair Young, the incredibly talented author and scholar came to town and we get to spend the weekend with her! She’ll be speaking about her work at an event on Sunday night. (Let me see if I can find a link with some info, for those of you who might want to attend.) How about you? Has it been a good week? Are you excited the weekend has arrived?

While I go put clean sheets on a bed for our guest, here are a few things I’ve been wanting to share:

- An interesting read: How to Get a Busy Person to Respond To Your Email. Via SwissMiss.

- This dad built a maze out of cardboard boxes for his kids in the basement. Thanks, Burgin.

- Last chance! Today is the LAST DAY to enter the Get Messy Contest yet. If you win, I’ll be coming to your house to throw a big party with Mrs. Meyers Clean Day. And I really want to come to your house!

- Wow! These near and far perspectives on world landmarks is fascinating. Thanks, Bridget.

- Go ahead, let your kids fail.

- The Iris Award Nominees have been announced!

- A classic nursery for a baby boy.

- I’m kind of obsessed with my patent leather black penny loafers. I bought them for Alt Summit last January, and wear them almost every day. In New York, I wore them instead of black flats when I had lots of walking to do! But note: if you buy a pair, plan on breaking them in. They arrive stiff as can be. As soon as the black ones are worn out, I think I’ll get these gold versions.

- I don’t follow much celebrity news, but this threw me for a loop.

- No doubt I’m the last one to see this, but just in case – 24 Hours of Happy.

- And my Babble posts. I shared these last week, but I added them late, so in case you missed them — 18 Easter Craft Ideas I’m considering this year, and 17 egg decorating ideas that might be fun.

I hope you have a happy weekend. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

1 Em F March 28, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Margaret Blair Young is your Sister-in-Law?! Just when I thought you couldn’t get any cooler. I adore her. What an incredible family. My mind is blown.

2 jessica brown March 28, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Is she Ben Blair’s big sister??

3 Design Mom March 31, 2014 at 11:03 am

Yes. Margaret is the first sibling, and Ben is the 7th (of 8).

4 Victoria March 28, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Don’t wait to get your gold loafers–I bought a pair yesterday at ghbass.com on sale plus a 30% coupon. Can’t wait to get them!

5 Ashley R March 28, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Those penny loafers are so classy.
I am curious- what do you wear them with? thin dress socks? I have been stumped with this dilemma living in a cold winter climate, and with pant styles shorter and slimmer. I don’t like to wear boots every day time (mostly because they are all anyone seems to wear), but I also don’t like my socks to be so conspicuous when I’m wearing low shoes.

6 Design Mom March 31, 2014 at 11:04 am

I’ve been taking advantage of the patterned, colorful sock trend. If it’s chilly, I wear warm, bright socks. If it’s hot, I wear no-show socks.

7 RuthWW March 28, 2014 at 3:53 pm

You forgot one small detail. The fact you answered a call from NY while making French toast…..

8 Design Mom March 31, 2014 at 11:04 am

That was crazy! More on the story in the future…

9 Amy3 March 28, 2014 at 5:46 pm

I was so captivated by your penny loafers that I bought a pair of burnished silver ones. I love them, but they are stiff! I’m making headway, though, and am determined to get them to the point where they are my go-to shoes.

10 jessica brown March 28, 2014 at 6:04 pm

You’re related to Margaret Blair Young??!?!? She’s my hero! We just hosted a fireside with Darius Gray a few weeks ago. Love the standing series and the nobody knows documentary. Please thank her for spreading the work and word of AA saints!

11 Design Mom March 31, 2014 at 11:05 am

I count myself lucky to know Darius. What a great man.

12 Julie March 29, 2014 at 12:19 am

Why were you thrown a loop hearing the news about Gwyneth & Chris? Just curious.

13 Design Mom March 31, 2014 at 11:06 am

I suppose since I don’t follow celebrity news much, I had no idea this was coming. I know it’s silly because I don’t know them at all, but in my head, they were a stable, long-term couple.

14 Ann March 29, 2014 at 10:20 am

I’m totally getting those giant easter eggs from IKEA this year. So simple! So bright!
Thanks for the idea. I wore black penny loafers with pennies in them in high school. They were inspired by Michael Jackson and his moonwalk days. I thought I was so cool!

15 Megan B March 29, 2014 at 1:16 pm

A friend of mine made a box maze in her basement when she moved into her new house and it was AMAZING. The kids loved it so much she kept it down there for almost a year.
The article about letting kids fail was so interesting too–thanks for sharing.

16 Diane March 29, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Most interesting article on conscious uncoupling. Actually makes a lot of sense. Why were you thrown off base because of it?

17 Design Mom March 31, 2014 at 11:08 am

I wasn’t thrown off by the idea of “conscious uncoupling”. It was the couple itself. Like I mentioned to Julie above, I had mistakenly pictured them as growing old together.

18 Robyn March 30, 2014 at 12:35 pm

“Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he’s been robbed. The fact is that most putts don’t drop, most beef is tough, most children grow up to just be people, most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration, most jobs are more often dull than otherwise. Life is like an old time rail journey…delays…sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling burst of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride.”

― Gordon B. Hinckley

19 Design Mom March 31, 2014 at 11:10 am

Are you sharing this quote in response to something particular above? I’m not understanding the context.

20 Robyn April 1, 2014 at 12:15 am

Good question Gabrielle – my comment WAS obscure. I guess I forgot that all of the background thoughts in my head weren’t readily accessible (what? you don’t read minds? ) HA!

I am always somewhat confused when I read something along the lines of, “we still love each other deeply, are best of friends, and will always be a family” during an announcement that the marriage is being ended.

It seems to me that loving each other deeply, being good friends, and wanting to remain a family is at the core of long lasting marital love!

That said, I realize ending a marriage is a personal decision that only the two people involved can make. There is so very much that goes into that decision – it is not my place to pass judgement on any individual.

The above quote is simply the thought that has lingered in my mind after reading the article on conscious uncoupling. Much of marriage and family life is like an old time rail journey. . .delays. . .sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders and jolts, interspersed occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to enjoy the ride.

21 heather March 30, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Sometimes the world just feels incredibly small. I took a wonderful class from Bruce Young on C.S. Lewis. Professor Young and his wife had the whole class over to their home and we watched Shadowlands on the TV in their master bedroom! They were so kind to us! I’ve loved your blog for years :)

22 Design Mom March 31, 2014 at 11:13 am

Bruce is one of the best professors BYU has to offer!

23 barkingkel April 3, 2014 at 10:37 am

Did you put a penny in your loafers? I wore those exact ones all through high school and don’t think I could bring myself to wear them now even though I like the look on others.