A Few Things

March 21, 2014

Train Town Sonoma

Image and text by Gabrielle.

Hello, Friends! How are you doing? Was it a good week? I felt like this one flew by! I’m not sure what it was. I started the week believing Monday was Wednesday and thinking: Oh dear. This is going to be a long week. Then, I woke up today thinking Friday already? Hah!

Last weekend we started out with no plans, but ended up taking the youngest four to Train Town in Sonoma with Liz and her kids. (Ralph had a camping trip, and Maude had a track meet, so they couldn’t join us.) If you ever get a chance to go, Train Town is idyllic and wonderful for the 10 and under crowd. It feels old school and small scale and simple, and it’s a beautiful, hour-long drive North of the city.

This weekend, we once again don’t have any big plans, but I am hoping to get some work on the house done. We shall see! How about you? What are you up to over the next few days?

While I finish up my work week, here are a few things I’ve been wanting to share with you:

- The Café of the Chosen. Thanks, Travis.

- Tea Collection interviewed Oscar & Betty for their blog! A sweet little post.

- And here’s a fun (short) interview of me at the Australian site, Blog Society.

- Oh my word, it’s interview week! Here’s one more — a longish interview of both me and Ben Blair at Made+Remade. We talk about work-life balance and ponder what’s next for the Blairs.

- The Send Happy Project.

- An adorable little girl’s room that was put together on a budget.

- 73 Questions with Sarah Jessica Parker. This is so fun! Thanks, Kelly.

- For your Easter baskets, 32 ways to dress a bunny.

7 Leadership Principles from an Unexpected Source.

- Choose happiness. Thanks, Azra.

- Atlas Visual shares beautiful video tours of Greece. Great for future travelers, perfect remedy for snowy couch-travelers. Ben Blair and I haven’t been back to Greece for 16 years. I think it’s time!

- Now that it’s officially Spring, are you ready to think Easter? I am! I’ve started collecting Easter Craft Ideas, and I’ve also been gathering egg decorating ideas as well — here are 17 I’m considering this year.

- Have you entered the Get Messy Contest yet? I want to come to your house and have a craft party!

Thank you so much for visiting Design Mom this week. I always love reading your comments and emails! I hope you have a beautiful Spring weekend. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. — Seven easy ways you can officially welcome Spring!

1 Traci March 21, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Happy Spring!!! FINALLY!

2 Bambi March 21, 2014 at 12:18 pm

I love Sarah Jessica Parker! And I love that picture!

Greetings from Germany and a wonderful weekend to you:

Bambi

3 Amy3 March 21, 2014 at 12:53 pm

That Oscar, he’s hilarious. “Who doesn’t like cake?” Who indeed!

4 Achilles Villiotis March 21, 2014 at 1:04 pm

A big thank you for taking the time to visit our travel website and a big thank you for the post. We ‘re waiting for you in Greece this summer!!!

The atlas team!!!

5 Stacy March 21, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Oh my, my little 2 year-olds imaginary elephant would love the elephant sweater jacket…so do I! :)

6 Kelly Crawford March 21, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Yay! I am so glad you liked the SJP interview! So fun and to the point! We are planning a big trip to northern CA when we move back from Paris and I am loving all your activity suggestions. My list of must-sees keep growing ha! Thank you!

7 Magnolia83 March 21, 2014 at 4:27 pm

I grew up in Wine Country and have fond memories of going to Train Town as a kid…other local kids of the 80s might remember the commercial for Train Town where ‘Engineer Kermit’ would say, “And remember parents, Train Town is 1/8th the size of Disneyland!” As a kid I thought, “That’s no selling point!” but now as an adult I get it ;)

8 Design Mom March 22, 2014 at 12:11 am

Love that! We were only there for a couple of hours and thought it was plenty. Just the right size for an afternoon!

9 Pamela Balabuszko-Reay March 21, 2014 at 4:48 pm

A Few Things! Every single week those three words make my day. As my 11-year-old Bella would say, “Just to tell you…”

10 Jen G March 21, 2014 at 6:20 pm

I loved the “hand holding” story in your interview, so daring..yes….and I loved Ben’s response! I usually tend to roll my eyes when I hear BYU dating/engagement stories….but that is a good one!

11 Karen Hynds March 21, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Dear home renovation training -”He who casts the first stone.”
… Check your grammar in your comment. Use “too” to replace the word also eh? This is basic junior school stuff. Love you Design Mom!!! Cheers from Newcastle ,Australia.

12 Design Mom March 22, 2014 at 12:10 am

Oh darn! That “home renovation training” comment was robot spam. They never make much sense. Hah! My apologies. Just moved it to the trash.

13 Mary Ann March 24, 2014 at 8:12 am

Ok, I’m dying to know why the French kids had to wear Speedos at the pool! Does Speedo have some kind of monopoly there? Is it just European custom?

14 Elisabeth April 1, 2014 at 6:16 pm

When we moved to San Francisco from New York a year and a half ago, we were glad a friend suggested we visit Train Town with our little ones. Our kids are pretty small, so we usually do the train ride (with the adorable tiny town and petting zoo), the carousel, and maybe one or two other rides. Then we head to the Sonoma town square for a picnic and afternoon at the park. The kids talk about it like we went away on a huge weekend adventure, but it’s so easy and close to home!