Book of the Week: What Does It Mean To Be Global?

February 24, 2014

What Does It Mean Books1B

Image and text by Gabrielle.

Hello from Washington D.C.! I’m here at the ONE.org Power Summit. I’ll be attending policy sessions about poverty and world aid throughout the day, and then receive training on how to lobby my congressmen later this afternoon. I’m very excited about it!

The group I’m here with is ONE Moms — which is the same group I traveled with to Ethiopia. It feels like a little reunion. And I’m happy as can be to get to spend time with these wonderful women. One of the women, Rana DiOrio, runs Little Pickle Press — a small publisher “dedicated to helping parents and educators cultivate conscious, responsible little people.” A wonderful goal! And I think it aligns so well with the work that ONE Moms engages in.

If  you’re someone who spends time thinking about how to raise kids that are globally minded — eager to learn about different cultures, curious about other countries, and respectful of all races and religions — there’s a set of 4 books from Little Pickle Press that are a great way to introduce these concepts to your children:

What Does It Mean To Be Global?
What Does It Mean To Be Green?
What Does It Mean to Be Safe?
What Does It Mean To Be Present?

They’re non-fiction picture books and they make excellent conversation starters between parents and kids — or in classrooms, too. They introduce important topics in an easy to understand, comfortable way, and the illustrations work hard to offer the reader a better understanding of what’s being discussed. One thing I especially appreciate about the books is that they cover some big topics without being self-righteous or judgmental. Hooray!

I’d love to hear if you’re already familiar with these books — or if you have related books you’d recommend. Feel free to add links or titles in the comments. And wish me luck on the lobbying!

1 Azra February 24, 2014 at 7:47 am

Hi Gabrielle! I will definitely check out these books.
Have a great time in D.C. xo

2 Susie H February 24, 2014 at 8:40 am

These books look wonderful – thanks so much for showcasing the interesting things you discover!

3 Jen February 24, 2014 at 1:13 pm

I am a big fan of Little Pickle Press and of Rana’s work and I’ve been distressed to find that the New York Public Library doesn’t carry any of their books!

I’ve only used my iBook’s app once: to buy What Does It Mean to Be Present, a children’s book about cultivating mindfulness by Rana DiOrio and I loved it and read it to my daughter whenever we’re stuck somewhere (like the Post Office). I’ve been meaning to do a review of it on my blog forever. Glad to see you’re a fan too!

4 Rana DiOrio February 26, 2014 at 8:47 am

Thanks for your ongoing support, Jen. Chicago Public Library just added our list to its collection. I agree wholeheartedly that NYPL ought to have them too. We’re working on it! Does anyone have any suggestions to facilitate matters? Thank you!

5 Zoe - SlowMama February 24, 2014 at 4:17 pm

As a Canadian-born mom married to an American who was partially raised in Europe and raising Ethiopian-born daughters, these are right up my alley. So glad to know about them!

6 Misty February 24, 2014 at 6:55 pm

I love the “if the world were a village” book. I got mine at ten thousand villages and have found it really beautiful.

7 Natalia February 25, 2014 at 4:29 pm

I second Misty! If the world were a village is just lovely! For the really littles, I like Ten Little Fingers & Ten Little Toes.

8 Jodi C Carmichael February 25, 2014 at 5:03 am

I have all of these books and they are fantastic!

I am Canadian, with one of my daughter’s in French Immersion and was thrilled to find What Does it Mean to be Global also comes in French. I showed it to her elementary school and they bought it for the library!