A Few Things

February 28, 2014

the treehouse in the rain

Image and text by Gabrielle.

Hello, Friends! How are you? I had a really good week and hope you did too. This weekend we have zero plans, which feels amazing! I’m sure it will fill up with this and that — maybe even a little road trip. But for now it’s so refreshing to look at the calendar and see blank days. : ) How about you? Anything exciting going on at your house? Will you be greeting March with open arms?

While I think about what the ideal Blair Family Weekend might look like, here are a few things I thought you might enjoy:

- Am I the last to see these frozen lighthouses? They look like some sort of fantasy creations — like they could only exist in Narnia or Middle Earth.

Things said to or about my adopted daughters. This broke my heart. The words we use matter.

- Apparently you can knit scarves using your arms!

- Have you heard about Learn the Address?

- A shared room for 2 little sisters.

- Another Ben & Ralph Blair collaboration. This one might be the funniest.

- A great list, but number one is my favorite.

- Are you doing anything fun for the Oscars? Here are pretty e-invitations for a last-minute party at home.

- Have you noticed this selfie trend? I love it!

-  A gorgeous promo video for the upcoming book “The Meaning of Maggie” has me counting down the days until it comes out.

- All about Oakland.

- It’s National Eating Disorder Awareness Week — here’s a petition I can get behind.

- Sometimes I completely forget about my favorite websites, and then I stumble back upon them and get lost.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. — I have LOVED your comments this week. Thank you for sharing your experiences and thoughts. There are very few things I like more than reading what you have to say. More fun to come next week — I want to tell you about my trip to D.C. and I hope to share a mental health update as well.

1 Traci February 28, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Great links, especially the learn the address videos!

2 Amy February 28, 2014 at 1:00 pm

How do you have 6 kids and have a weekend of blank days? I’d love a post about how your family seemingly lives the “unhurried” life with empty weekend days. I strive for this, but haven’t gotten there yet. My goal is empty Sundays….but with even just 3 kids age 8 and under this sometimes a challenge. How do you do it?

3 Design Mom February 28, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Hah! This weekend is definitely not normal. And really there are a few things — like Maude has track practice. But nothing major or stressful! No parties to throw. No gifts to buy.

4 Robin February 28, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Always love your links. Inspired by Learn the Address!

5 Shanna February 28, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Thanks for the post about the “ugly selfie”!! I love instagram and noticed my young friends using their faces in comical ways and now I GET IT!! Go girls!

6 Design Mom February 28, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Totally. I feel like snapchat is full of purposely ugly selfies.

7 Ceci Bean February 28, 2014 at 1:44 pm

That book about Oakland sounds exciting!

8 Kirsten February 28, 2014 at 3:04 pm

The Meaning of Maggie looks amazing! I just pre-ordered it! Can’t wait for it to come out now.

9 anne | flax & twine February 28, 2014 at 4:33 pm

oh! so excited to see my arm knitting link here. Thanks so much for sharing!! My hubby is out of town this weekend, so I’m trying to think of something special for just me and the kids. A movie, bowling, roller skating . . . something fun! Hope you enjoy your lazy days!

10 Christa February 28, 2014 at 4:34 pm

Oh my gosh, I just can’t imagine anyone being SO nasty to a(n adoptive) mom. Because moms who adopt are just moms and their kids are their kids, end of story. So much to be sad about there.

11 Melissa Camara Wilkins February 28, 2014 at 6:51 pm

Those frozen lighthouses are crazy to me. They don’t even look real!

Our weekend should be delightfully quiet, too… unless you count the rain. (We’re in Southern California.) Then I guess it is noisy. But not busy! ;)

12 Bambi March 1, 2014 at 9:50 am

I love this photo…I’m in the woods right now and am enjoying it so very much!

A beautiful weekend to you and a bookish request:

Love from Germany,

Bambi

13 susan March 1, 2014 at 10:57 am

We visited both of those light houses this summer. They are beautiful and the beaches are amazing. I can’t even imagine getting that close to them in the winter. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

14 Shannon Bradley-Colleary March 1, 2014 at 8:11 pm

Hello sweet lady — thanks so much for linking to the petition. I’ll be curious to see if it has an impact. xo S

15 Ashlea Walter March 2, 2014 at 5:15 am

The lighthouses remind me of the northern Michigan ice caves. This polar vortex has brought some beautifully crazy stuff to our neck of the woods!

16 Azra March 2, 2014 at 6:07 am

Ralph is so talented, I bet he will be famous one day. I ended up watching some other videos he has made. Good work.

17 Amber March 2, 2014 at 4:05 pm

WOW your house is AMAZING! I love it.
Fine Silver Fingerprint and Mommy jewelry inspired by Love

18 Sara March 3, 2014 at 7:53 am

Glad you like the lighthouse pictures – a lot of them are of my home town – St. Joseph, MI. Beautiful to see all covered in ice (but not fun to be in). Much nicer in the summer! :)

19 Amy March 3, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Flappy Bird is now a ‘thing’ in our home! When the children and my husband do well on a particular game- they run out to our front yard and spread their arms out like wings and spin with grand smiles on their faces! They even have a few of the neighbor children doing it. Thanks for making ‘family friendly videos’. They really are such a treat!