A Few Things

February 7, 2014

Bradamant + Design Mom

By Gabrielle.

Hello, Friends. I’m writing to you from rainy Oakland — and grateful as can be for the rain! California has been experiencing a severe drought, so we’re welcoming as much rain as we can get.

Before I forget, I’ve been meaning to report back about the Bradamant bodysuit that I wrote about last month. I first wore it to Alt Summit, and I’ve worn it a bunch since — because it is awesome! The first time I wore it, I put it on in the morning and then had a fairly intense day with tons of movement. And I never had to adjust my clothes, or re-tuck, or think about my shirt at all! Plus, because of the loose way The Mogul drapes, I didn’t feel the need to wear spanx or suck in my tummy at all. I was comfortable all day long! I felt polished and professional too. That’s a shot of me in The Mogul at top. Here’s another shot (with the fabulous Garance Doré!).

In contrast, I brought 2 other silky shirts to the conference, non-bodysuits, and eventually ended up having to tuck them into my underwear because they were looking so sloppy as they moved around. Hah! (I know I’m not the only one who has resorted to that trick.) It’s a temporary fix at best. I much prefer the bodysuit.

As for bathroom breaks, admittedly I take less than average during the day, but I didn’t find the closure difficult to use — it’s identical to a bra clasp. Easy peasy. I know that’s a little random for a Friday post, but I didn’t want to forget! Have any of you tried one of their bodysuits yet? Feel free to report!

Other than that, I’m looking forward to a good weekend. We’ll be tuning in to the Winter Olympics, and I’ve got a carpenter looking at wood today to give me a bid on the reading loft cubbies/bookshelves. While I wait to hear from him, here are a few things I’ve wanted to share:

- First world problems aren’t actually problems.

- The clothes store where everything is free.

- Attracting newcomers to the ballet. Thank you, Jennifer.

- Weaving connections.

- A magical fairytale nursery.

- My brother in law’s homecoming from Afghanistan was covered on the news. So good! Made me cry.

- The good news: the boots I wanted to splurge on last fall are on major sale at Nordstrom. The bad news: none in my size!

- Related: I spent a lovely evening last night searching out rain boots. This colorblock pair is at the top of my list. (Or is rainy season in Oakland going to be over in two seconds?)

- An essay about what a stay-at-home-mom actually does with her time.

- Children rescued from Nazi death camps reunited with their rescuer.

- This is how I talk my kids into keeping up their French. : ) Thanks, Kacy.

- Make a simple, special Valentine’s breakfast for your family (it’s one of our favorite traditions!). Here are 20 ideas for your menu.

- Also, when we set the table for Valentine’s breakfast, we like to leave a small gift — like these — on each plate.

I hope you have a delightful weekend! I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

1 Jennifer F- American Mom in Bordeaux February 7, 2014 at 2:20 pm

Love your idea of a Valentine’s Day breakfast!! As you are aware – in France – Valentine’s day is just between “Les amours” – but as Americans my girls like to celebrate it in a small way. Thanks for some great ideas. Will have to check out the bodysuit…will be starting to do some tourguiding – so walking around and looking polished will be a must. Have a great weekend – we too will be enjoying the Olympics!

2 Design Mom February 7, 2014 at 2:25 pm

We were just talking about that! For the first time in ages, my kids will be making valentines for their classmates. I feel out of practice! : )

Your tour guiding sounds exciting! Best of luck.

3 Sally from Little Hiccups February 7, 2014 at 2:40 pm

I love that Valentine’s Day is celebrated by kids here in the US. Back home in Australia it’s just a day for lovers. I think it’s much more special that it’s a day to celebrate everyone that you love (or happen to share a class with!) than just one person.
Plus, it’s gives me an excuse to work on something crafty with the kids ;)

4 Brimful February 7, 2014 at 2:21 pm

The video for “First World Problems Anthem” is superb. Thank you for bringing that to our attention!

5 Design Mom February 7, 2014 at 2:25 pm

So well done. You just feel it in your gut when you watch it.

6 Sally from Little Hiccups February 7, 2014 at 2:37 pm

How lovely is all of this rain?! I’m so pleased it’s finally raining.
That said, I’m keeping my fingers crossed it stays away just for a little while tomorrow as I have my daughter’s birthday party on my apartment building’s roof top garden – which has no shelter at all! Eeek! Looks like I might have to come up with a creative way to squeeze 20 kids and their accompanying grown ups PLUS a reptile show into my tiny living room!

7 Design Mom February 8, 2014 at 12:33 am

Wishing you a sunny tomorrow, Sally! And I’m still dying to meetup with you some time.

8 Sally from Little Hiccups February 9, 2014 at 3:47 pm

No sun but we still had a great time and surprisingly everything fit into our living room well. It’s amazing what you can fit it in if you move your furniture out!

I can’t wait to meet you properly one day too – I say “properly” as I bumped into you in a change room at Gap once but was too shy to say hello!

Oh, and here’s a little look at yesterday’s party :) http://www.littlehiccups.net/2014/02/a-reptile-birthday-party.html

9 Jen Campisano February 7, 2014 at 3:02 pm

I’m honored to be included in your list! And, I’ve got goosebumps from that #firstworldproblems video. Thank you!

10 Design Mom February 8, 2014 at 12:33 am

That video!

11 Shannon February 7, 2014 at 3:31 pm

My dad was a soldier, so happy reunions always make me cry, too. And I wanted to say thank you for the video of Garance Doré’s talk on the ALT blog. I’m nursing a cold, so I pampered myself by watching the entire video today. She seems like the most lovely, encouraging person.

12 Design Mom February 8, 2014 at 12:34 am

Isn’t Garance the most wonderful person? She’s simply a delight!

13 cath February 8, 2014 at 12:51 am

I love Garance’s blog, just curious Gabrielle, did you practise your French with her?

14 jessie hansen February 7, 2014 at 3:43 pm

The weaving connections link led me off track and I watched Facebookstories videos for 15 minutes. Not on FB but that was great. Almost like getting lost in the scriptures when you follow the footnotes.

And I don’t know about that SAHM, but my days are filled with bubble baths and bonbons. I love telling that to people. (It’s REALLY funny because our new house has a Jacuzzi in the master bath and I don’t like it all. I get so restless!)

15 Design Mom February 8, 2014 at 12:34 am

“my days are filled with bubble baths and bonbons”

Love it! Too funny.

16 Sarah February 7, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Yep, the “rainy season” will be over by the time you come home with your new rain boots! Actually, almost every year of the seven I’ve lived here in the Bay Area, we get a heat wave in the first half of February– like, 85 degree heat wave. I did hear a forecast for a rainy February, but let me put it this way: I bought rain boots when I first moved here, and then donated them two years later for lack of use. But man, this weather makes me want some of those Hunters. So cozy!

17 Sally from Little Hiccups February 7, 2014 at 4:33 pm

I bought a pair of Hunter rainboots the first year I lived in the Bay Area as we had a super rainy Winter and I was finding my regular boots just didn’t cut it. The last two Winters I haven’t had the need to wear them at all and they’ve just sat in my closet collecting dust! Even the rain now isn’t quite heavy enough to get out the rainboots – although my kids have been wearing theirs so they can jump in puddles at every opportunity :)

18 Design Mom February 8, 2014 at 12:35 am

Ah shucks! Can I pretend they’re for gardening instead? Will that be a legitimate excuse to splurge? (Kidding!)

19 Elle February 7, 2014 at 4:19 pm

Yeah, unfortunately it’s never rained enough here in Oakland for me to justify a pair of rain boots. Too bad though – there are so many cute ones out there and I love the rain!

20 Design Mom February 8, 2014 at 12:35 am

I hear you. What is it about rainboots? They are so darn charming!

21 Cathryn February 7, 2014 at 5:28 pm

The video of the death camp gentleman is incredibly moving. Lots of tears here.

And I’m struggling to justify rain boots here for my little boy…they’re $40 new, the bay area rain will stop on Sunday and then he’ll be a different size! I can justify my own boots and I use them as much as possible. Buy some, Gabrielle!!

22 Design Mom February 8, 2014 at 12:38 am

Maybe I’ll wait till they’re on super clearance and then it won’t feel like such a luxury. : )

23 Kate February 7, 2014 at 10:09 pm

Oh my goodness, I’ve never commented before but just had to drop you a note. I opened the blog today and thought, wow, that lady looks just like Maude! How funny, right. A moment later I realized, duh, that is Gabrielle. I guess it’s more like Maude looks so much like you :).

24 Design Mom February 8, 2014 at 12:37 am

Hah! Love that, Kate. Maude and I hear that a lot — and I’m always delighted because I think Maude is lovely.

25 Katie Harding February 8, 2014 at 7:40 am

I love the special Valentine’s Day breakfast ideas, it’s such a great way to connect with your family.

26 Sienna February 8, 2014 at 1:01 pm

I always look forward to A Few Things. This one, with the homecoming and the surprise tribute, made me cry too.

27 FoodSmok'r February 8, 2014 at 11:06 pm

Thank you for sharing the wonderful video and love the idea of having Valentine breakfast!

28 Design Mom February 9, 2014 at 10:18 am

It’s become a sweet little tradition at our house!

29 Hilary February 9, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Thank you so much for all of these links and videos and thoughts.

30 gina February 9, 2014 at 3:10 pm

I love your blouse! and appreciate the tip! (Plus, in person, you looked f-a-b-u-l-o-u-s!) Wonderful post as always! I’m also reminded with Valentine’s Day here it was this time of the year and your photo – lollipop Valentine that drew me in! So happy to find you… never imagined 3 years ago- would be as it is today! Wonderful! Wishing you and your family all a wonderful weekend or start of the week!

31 Kassandra February 10, 2014 at 6:37 am

I hope everyone has their rain barrels out collecting. Rain barrel was the best thing I ever did to help the verge around my house.

32 Rachel February 10, 2014 at 7:24 am

Dan saw that, or something like it, a couple of years ago and since then, he won’t even let anyone make that joke.

33 Zoe - SlowMama February 10, 2014 at 10:13 pm

Gabrielle, thanks for updating us on the Bradamant bodysuit! Sounds like the bathroom thing was not an issue. Definitely on my list now.