Bradamant

January 15, 2014

Bradamant Silk Bodysuit

By Gabrielle.

Okay, Ladies. I’d love your thoughts on bodysuits. I swear, I’ve seen 3 different articles talking about them over the last month. Have you ever tried one? I haven’t yet, and I didn’t even know bodysuits were a trend! But I thought about it and realized that women could be wearing them like crazy and I would have no idea — because if they’re done well, you can’t see them. : )

Tamar Daniel emailed me and told me about her new line of modern bodysuits called Bradamant. Tamar is an independent designer in New York and I’ve been a big fan of her work for years. I have a dress from an earlier line she created and it is one of my very favorites, and one of the most frequently worn in my closet. So when she emailed about the bodysuits, I checked out the site right away.

Bradamant Bodysuits

Of course, I love the idea of the coverage a bodysuit provides — of being able to bend and move without having to think about or adjust my clothes. I was paying attention today and noticed I have to adjust clothes often — as I’m bending to load the bottom rack of the dishwasher, as I squat to help June with her shoes, as I reach to touch up the paint in the hallway. I even noticed it when Ben Blair and I were running errands and I had to reach from the passenger seat to the middle row. It happens a ton! So bodysuits definitely make sense for me in theory.

Now I’m really curious to try one! I ordered The Mogul and it’s supposed to arrive tomorrow. I’m hoping it’s as fabulous in person as looks online, because I want to wear it next week at Alt Summit! The reviews are super positive, and based on my experience with Tamar’s work, I’m sure it will be beautifully made and will last for years and years.

Bradamant Bodysuit in Stripes

Bradamant has a really good kickstarter going on right now, so if you want to try one too, a pledge gets you 35% off your preorder of the spring line. Not bad!

I’d love to know: Do you ever wear your shirts tucked in? And if yes, have you ever tried a bodysuit?

1 Azra January 15, 2014 at 6:47 pm

I can see the appeal, but personally I am skeptical for two reasons. First, they remind me of a onesie (a one my children use to wear) and second, it is an extra piece to take off when you have to go a bathroom.
But who knows… maybe it is the best thing. Gabrielle, you will have to update us. :)

2 Design Mom January 15, 2014 at 7:00 pm

I’m curious about the bathroom thing too! We’ll see…

3 Eva January 15, 2014 at 7:50 pm

In the old days (early 90′s) they had snaps

4 Barchbo January 16, 2014 at 4:01 pm

I was a huge fan in the early/ mid 90s. Donna Karan was a pioneer. The snaps made everything a breeze.

5 Stina January 15, 2014 at 6:57 pm

I have short legs and a long boby – and in the 80′s they were extremely ignoring!
Not sure I want to try again (-;

6 Christie January 15, 2014 at 7:14 pm

The only thing that has stopped me in the past was that you have to basically strip off completely to go to the bathroom. But I like the idea that you don’t have to adjust yourself as much – I often wear tank tops under shirts/t-shirts and I’m constantly adjusting/pulling it down.

7 Kristi January 15, 2014 at 7:35 pm

I wore them back in the 80/90′s when they were popular and I was awesomely thin. Going pee was the biggest pain in the hind end And dropping the body suit flaps in the toilet was beyond disgusting. I won’t try that again! I will leave that for the young ones with a third arm to hold it up when using the rest room!

8 Robin January 15, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Me, too. I remember having a really pretty deep blue velvet one from Ann Taylor in the early 90′s. But yeah, total pain when you need to pee. And somehow, I don’t think my post-twins body would look so good in a body suit ;-P

9 sandy johnson January 15, 2014 at 7:43 pm

I wore them in high school in the 70′s. We wore hip-hugger jeans and cords and didn’t have to worry about keeping a shirt tucked in. They were made out of stretch fabric. Unsnap three snaps in the crotch and they were loose so you could use the bathroom. I don’t see how they could fall in the toilet, ours fit close to the body. Some brands fit better than others. I even had some that we sewed ourselves! Would I wear them again at 55? I might!

10 Eva January 15, 2014 at 7:49 pm

I had one (wait ,2!) in the seventh grade. I felt extra cool wearing them .So much so that I didn’t mind the constant wedgie or panty lines one little bit.(But then again, as a seventh grader I don’t think the idea of a panty line ever crossed my mind. So there’s that.)
I’m sure the body suits you’re talking about are much better made than my 2 gems from Fashion Gal so hopefully the wedgies and lines will be sorted out.

11 Design Mom January 16, 2014 at 1:01 am

Hah! I love that you mentioned wedgies and panty lines. Because I think first thing I read when I checked out the Bradamant site was something like: Say goodbye to wedgies and pantylines.

Apparently, you aren’t the only one that had experience with 7th grade bodysuits. : )

12 Aliesha January 15, 2014 at 7:58 pm

The last time I wore a body suit was in about 5th grade, right around the time stirrups were also popular! Can’t believe that trend is coming back!! I will not be trying this time around as it would be hugely unflattering, but I can see the allure for those with the body for it!

13 LoriM January 15, 2014 at 8:27 pm

I have to say I’m quite interested in this! I can remember feeling quite sleek wearing my bodysuit…maybe around the 7th grade too? But yes, the mechanics were a bit awkward then – bulky snaps that could inconveniently come loose. But it seems these new ones have bra-like hook closures.
I would think they would make you feel quite confident and put together – I don’t see any reason for them to be unflattering or needing a good body for them, as you are still wearing skirts or trousers!

14 Dawn January 15, 2014 at 9:35 pm

I think the Mogul you ordered is WAY cute! I cannot wait to see your Alt Summit outfits and hope the Mogul is one of them. I have never worn a bodysuit, but I would totally try one for the right price. It would be great to have better coverage. I feel like I am flashing people all the time, but not on purpose. I try hard not to by wearing longer shirts. Tucked in shirts and belts are the rage again. After seeing the photos and links you provided, I am on the look out for a bodysuit. I look forward to your follow up review.

15 Design Mom January 16, 2014 at 12:59 am

I think it’s way cute, too! I have a couple of pants I want to try it with. I’m so curious to see what it looks good with.

16 jen January 15, 2014 at 9:48 pm

i have a short torso so i never tuck my shirt in unless i want to look like urkel :)

17 Heidi January 15, 2014 at 10:07 pm

In the 90′s /early 2000′sI was pregnant a lot, and I loved bodysuits for being pregnant in the cold months. It made me feel cozy. The snaps worked great, and I loved having that belly all covered.

18 Design Mom January 16, 2014 at 12:56 am

I don’t think I even knew there were maternity bodysuits. I bet they were great!

19 Elizabeth Aquino January 15, 2014 at 10:20 pm

Oh, lord — I wore bodysuits all the time when I was younger, beginning with a purple Danskin one in my pre-teen years. I’m too nervous to tuck shirts in, to tell you the truth — however, these look awesome, and I’m thinking about buying one! Thanks for the link!

20 Sally from Little Hiccups January 15, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Do they not have snaps at the bottom? In my mind if it has snaps it’s a bodysuit, if it doesn’t it’s a leotard!
I used to wear bodysuits quite a bit in the ’90s but haven’t really since then as they seem kind of dated. That said, I find myself adjusting my top all the time too (can’t stand having a gap above my jeans) so they are a pretty practical solution.
I also think a singlet style would be good under dresses etc. I almost always wear a camisole/singlet under dresses as the weather is so changeable in the Bay Area but I hate that they ride up or sit lumpy around my middle – especially now while my “middle” is a huge 25 week baby bump! I have tried finding a singlet style bodysuit in the past but they’re pretty hard to find. Leotards aren’t a particularly good solution as you have to strip off completely for the bathroom. And that unitard I bought one time from American Apparel was just a disaster! Although it did avoid the lumps caused by the bottom of a camisole and the top of leggings ;)

21 Design Mom January 16, 2014 at 12:55 am

I’d say I agree with your leotard/bodysuit definitions. And these do have closures at the bottom, so I would definitely call them bodysuits. Apparently, instead of snaps, they use bra enclosures. Will be fun to try!

22 Lauren January 15, 2014 at 10:42 pm

I just bought some pencil skirts from Ann Taylor and The Mogul would look amazing with them. Update us on the bathroom situation… ha!

23 Design Mom January 16, 2014 at 12:53 am

Thanks for the tip, Lauren! Off to browse the Ann Taylor site…

24 Zoe - SlowMama January 15, 2014 at 10:46 pm

I don’t have one in my closet, but would love to try one since that’s the one thing I hate about tucked-in shirts — the constant adjusting. So I tend to not wear them much. But I hear everyone on the bathroom thing… Be sure to give us a report!

25 Design Mom January 16, 2014 at 12:52 am

I’ll report for sure!

26 Matilda January 16, 2014 at 2:08 am

I don’t think I would ever wear a bodysuit just because tucked in shirts look really bad with my body type, but I am all about jumpsuits. They are incredibly comfortable, easy to throw on and then all you have to worry about is accessorizing. I have a black one similar to this (http://www.makemechic.com/strapless-pleated-harem-jumpsuit-black.html) that I wear all the time, especially for traveling. I also love this one (http://www.necessaryclothing.com/harem-jumpsuit-navy-s.html?via=HardPin&m=HardPin&cid=1022&source=Pinterest&medium=HardPin&campaign=type248) and this one (http://www.shopbop.com/provence-jumpsuit-theory/vp/v=1/1597400121.htm?folderID=2534374302023865&colorId=12867&extid=affprg-4441350)

27 Starr January 16, 2014 at 4:45 am

I love the idea of bodysuits — my shirts always come untucked. But my memories of the early ’90s popularity is that they look best on willow-y body types. Since I’ve always been an hourglass, bodysuits don’t suit.

28 Cherie January 16, 2014 at 6:04 am

I remember wearing them a lot in the early 90′s, they were great (and yes, all had snaps) but abandoned them with changing fashion. Now I’m 40 but I’m looking at them again, I like the idea of a top that stays tucked in!

29 Jenny Bailey January 16, 2014 at 6:29 am

I definitely wore them in the 90s, when I was basically still a kid. But tucked shirts have never really been my thing so the look wasn’t quite right for me. I think I would be willing to give them another shot now, simply because I grew up to be 5’9″ and no shirt ever seems to be long enough to cover that back gap when I bend down, but I’m still not much of a shirt-tucker in general so I’m not sure the look would suit me anymore now than it did originally.

30 Sally from Little Hiccups January 16, 2014 at 9:37 pm

I’m only 5’2″ and even I find that tops don’t stay tucked in at the back when I bend down! Or maybe it’s my jeans not staying up…

31 life insurance quotes in texas March 7, 2014 at 7:12 am

I can’t believe you’re not playing with me–that was so helpful.

32 Shannon { A Mom's Year } January 16, 2014 at 7:08 am

Oh my gosh, this brought back memories of the super-cool orange bodysuit I wore in the 1970s. It was groovy.

I would love to tuck my shirts in but, like some of the other commenters, I’m short-waisted and busty and it just doesn’t work well. But I love the look of a classic white-tailored shirt, so I’m always on the look-out for one that nips in at the waist, but then has a nice flair at the bottom so you can leave it untucked. Maybe there’s a word for that style? Anyway, good luck with the bodysuit!

33 Jacki January 16, 2014 at 7:32 am

Well, I am really long-waisted so my “fondest” memory of bodysuits from the past is constant tugging down below which was very uncomfortable. Unless they make long torso versions, as a few swimsuit makers have caught onto, this won’t be an option. They are beautiful, though.

34 Jen January 16, 2014 at 7:39 am

The first thing I think when someone says bodysuits is 90s. And then I think dance class and/or infants. But these don’t look anything like any of those. I’m intrigued—and sort of digging the idea of not worrying about accidentally showing off some tush! ;)

35 TracieMcOB January 16, 2014 at 7:58 am

I always knew that I am probably much older (probably is being kind to myself) than the majority of your readers, but this post just confirmed it! :) I wore bodysuits in the (gasp) 80′s. Often. When I was much thinner and actually wore shirts tucked in. they are great. Keeps your look neat and tidy – I think you will enjoy them. Thanks for the flashback. It didn’t hurt too much. :-D

36 Nancy January 16, 2014 at 10:15 am

I’m surprised! I didn’t know that bodysuits were back. I remember wearing them in the early 90s. I like the look of the mogul — you get the benefits of a body suit but it’s not the form-fitting variety. I’m eager to hear what you think of it.

37 Kate January 16, 2014 at 11:14 am

I wear American Apparel leotards almost daily in the summertime and still quite often in the cooler months. They are sleek and super fitted which works well for me. I hope you love your bodysuit! It looks lovely!

38 hyzen January 16, 2014 at 11:48 am

Sooo, not to be too blunt, but a bodysuit solves the problem of your shirt coming untucked by essentially using your crotch as an anchor. Under the circumstances, I don’t see how it can possibly avoid causing some amount of discomfort, pressure, and wedgies every time you reach into the back seat or bend down to check on a kid, etc. I too wore these as a youngster in the early 90s, and I remember them being noticeably uncomfortable all. day. long. And yes, the extra steps when using the bathroom were a pain. I guess back then I was more willing to sacrifice comfort for “fashion”. I’m sure it doesn’t help that I have a relatively long torso, and the Mogul certainly does look more promising than the cotton or velvet onesie type get-ups that prevailed in the 90s, but I will not be in any rush to try bodysuits again. Even for swimsuits, I always go the tankini or bikini route–I just think it’s more comfortable to have separate pieces.

39 Quiana January 16, 2014 at 12:32 pm

I used to rock a mean bodysuit or two in high school! LOL! I agree the extra coverage would be great especially with how low-cut most pants are nowadays. Look forward to seeing the Mogul in all its glory next week at Alt – it’ll by my first time, and I’ll be the one with the big baby bump! I wonder if a maternity version of the Mogul is in the works . . .

40 Tasneem January 16, 2014 at 1:32 pm

I loved body suits when I was little. Although, I haven’t really liked the idea of them as I got older. I’m curious to try these out though, they look so classy.

41 bdaiss January 16, 2014 at 1:44 pm

I remember them coming around in the 90′s. I didn’t have one then and I probably wouldn’t buy one now. But that’s mostly because I’m not one to tuck in my shirts. I do wear a camisole nearly daily that I tuck in, but my “top” shirt? Rarely. I’m more inclined to closer fitting shirts than tucking in. I feel like tucking in emphasizes my near rectangular shape…

But the one you picked is super cute and I totally get why a gal would want to wear one!

42 Heather January 16, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Ha ha! Made me think of something funny as I’m coming from mommy brain of having a 1 year old… I always dress her in a onesie under her shirts because I like that it covers her diaper that would otherwise hang out of her pants at the top. This body suit is kind of the same idea for adult women! When I realized that’s why I liked that concept for my baby girl, I admit, I had a thought – this would be nice if they had onesies for adults – then my back wouldn’t get cold if my shirt rode up when I leaned over… in my mommy brain fog, I forgot that body suits for women DO exist. Maybe I need to try it…

43 Kim January 16, 2014 at 4:21 pm

I’m interested in hearing your experience with the bodysuit as well. I tend to have a gap in the back of my pants and it’s cumbersome to always check to make sure I’ve got coverage back there.

To address the how-to-go-to-the-bathroom with it on issue, can you role up the flaps and secure it somehow? I do that with my daughter’s onesies when she goes to the potty.

44 Emily Foley January 16, 2014 at 9:05 pm

I used to sneak them in middle school. They were super tight and my mom didn’t approve so I wore them under sweatshirts and took the sweatshirt off at school! They drove me crazy though, especially trying to do the snaps in the bathroom, but I think I would love not pulling my shirt down and pants up a thousand times a day.

45 Stacey January 18, 2014 at 6:07 pm

I wore body suits all the time right out of college (mid 90′s) and they were the best. They made outfits look so much more put together. I am thrilled that they are coming back. And yes- snaps made the bathroom thing a breeze :) I just took a look at the Bradamant site and it looks great. I’m hoping they may have plans for a simple white button down sometime in the future?

46 kelly jo February 4, 2014 at 7:45 pm

I have to say, because of this post I backed the Kickstarter campaign, but it didn’t get to it’s goal. I wanted to try out the bodysuit so I ordered the Mogul with a 35% off coupon. It arrived tonight. I LOVE IT. I wear a 34D and am 5’10″. It looks totally professional and is comfortable, so much so that I bent down to pick my four year old up with it on in jeans and then my work pants and it didn’t ride up AT ALL. Off to order a few more. Seriously.