A Few Things

January 31, 2014

family dance party

By Gabrielle. Image by Ben Blair  — he snapped it the night I got home from Salt Lake.

Hello, Friends! How are you? Was it a good week for you? The week after Alt Summit SLC is always odd for me. I sort of crave a vacation because the weeks leading up to Alt are my most intense. But, having been out of the office for a week, I also want to jump back into work because I feel behind. So this week was a combination of deep work catchup and going to late night movies with Ben Blair — which I think is the closest thing to vacationing and working at the same time. : )

My kids don’t have school today (a teacher prep day, I think), so it feels like a 3-day weekend around these parts! Sleeping in this morning and skipping the school day routines felt like such a luxury. Weekend plans? Finally unpacking and putting the house in order. Not very exciting, but I know it will feel super satisfying. There’s also a Scout Pancake Breakfast tomorrow morning, and we’re toying with the idea of trying a whale-watching excursion in Monterrey. I am happy as a clam the weekend has arrived.

While I enjoy some time with my kids today, here are a few things I’ve wanted to share:

- The preview for the movie The Drop Box had me weeping. Thanks, Modern Thrifter.

- This Kickstarter project about teaching kids (especially girls?) to program raised $100,000 in 24 hours. Thanks, Janssen.

- I love this Oops! print.

- Am I the last one to hear about the RIE parenting movement (pronounced “wry”)? Thanks, Brooklyn Baby Fest.

- Remember the P&G summer olympics commercial? Well they made another one for the Sochi Olympics. Another tear jerker! Thanks, Evelina.

- A wonderfully wild nursery.

- A sweet essay about parenting when you are in your early twenties.

- What really drives success? Thanks, Asha.

- I haven’t written one yet, but I love reading the Alt Summit recaps! You can find them on the Alt Blog. There are currently 3 posts with listings, and more being added every day.

- My brother-in-law gets home from Afghanistan today! The whole family is rejoicing!!! And today, my Grandpa would have turned 100 years old.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend! I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I’m excited about next week’s posts — we experimented with a DIY cement floor in the reading loft and it turned out really cool. Can’t wait to share! Plus, there will be another story in the Growing a Family series and some really good conversations (I hope!). See you then. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

1 Butternut B January 31, 2014 at 12:39 pm
2 Samantha January 31, 2014 at 1:29 pm

I found you through the cute videos on ulive when I saw that you live in Oakland I was smitten!! I live near by in Fremont and love the urban uniqueness of Oakland, not to mention my sister lives there and we spend a lot of time together exploring and having relaxing picnics at Lake Merritt.

There is going to be a youth film festival projected on a building on the corner of Broadway and West Grand Ave this evening. Just thought your family might be interested seeing how amazingly creative you all are!!

Just wanted to share! Have a marvelous weekend!!

Coincidentally I was thinking of going whale watching in Monterey this weekend as well… great minds think alike ;)

3 Matilda January 31, 2014 at 2:46 pm

What a beautiful picture, and how lucky you are to have something so beautiful to come home to!

4 Melissa Camara Wilkins January 31, 2014 at 2:52 pm

The Alt Summit recaps are fun! Thanks for pointing them out. And oh how I love this family photo. Such a happy crowd. :)

5 Julie January 31, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Oh my….have you said where you got that chandelier or did I miss it? Tell me it didn’t come with the house.

6 Robin January 31, 2014 at 5:17 pm

I first learned of RIE about a year or so ago, when my twins were newborns. I was having one of those moments of self-induced mom-guilt because I wasn’t giving them tummy time, and something about it just didn’t seem “right” to me. I started Googling around and found Janet Lansbury’s blog, Elevating Child Care. So many of her posts detailing RIE concepts really resonated with me, especially those regarding physical milestones and children’s independence. To date, I haven’t read any RIE books and there certainly aren’t any classes near me here in small town USA, but I do continue to follow her blog and try to incorporate some RIE into my parenting. And I think it has been very beneficial. Specifically I have always tried to tell my girls what I’m doing with them: “Now I’m going to put your shirt on, can you push your arm through?” etc. And from an early age, they did “help” me dress them! And I always give them my attention, while also letting them have some space to just play and enjoy, without being all up in their grills 24/7. ha ha! I think parents worry too much these days about “entertaining” and “stimulating.” I did end up doing a bit of tummy time, but very gradually and only when they seemed to enjoy it. I never held their hands to try to encourage them to walk. I let them take the lead. And they have hit all of the so-called “milestones” the same as any child. So thus far, its been a good fit for us and I look forward to incorporating RIE methods for setting boundaries, etc. as my little toddlers grow.

7 Katherine January 31, 2014 at 8:08 pm

I sobbed through the Drop Box the first time and now just did again. It was so inspiring and beautiful.

8 Raquel January 31, 2014 at 9:43 pm

SFUSD has Friday off for Chinese New Year!

9 Victoria January 31, 2014 at 10:57 pm

Hey Guys!! My what a wonderful blog you have!! I’m and brand new mother and a brand new blogger as well!! I would love it if you guys could come check out my page!! Follow me, or leave me a comment at http://bloomingintomommy.blogspot.com/

Thank You!! :)

10 Jess. February 1, 2014 at 6:19 am

This is the best picture ever. That one moment that means your whole life was right.

11 Jennifer F- American Mom in Bordeaux February 1, 2014 at 6:52 am

What a brillant photo!! I love when I return from being away…it’s so heart-warming to be back in the warmth and glow of family and I just love when my youngest jumps into my arms and wraps herself around me – PURE LOVE!! That’s exactly what I see in that photo – love and family! (So nice that your husband thinks to capture the moment!!). Enjoy your weekend! Thanks for the great links.

12 Heather February 1, 2014 at 1:24 pm

My guess is that you are all singing….. Love is an open doooooooor!

13 Bethany February 1, 2014 at 9:25 pm

The Drop Box had me teary, too. And I love the Oops print!! Happy weekend! So exciting that your bro-in-law comes home!!! Deployment homecomings are the BEST.

14 Katie Harding February 2, 2014 at 6:17 am

This picture is priceless, nothing like a happy family!

15 Julie Kinnear February 3, 2014 at 3:20 am

Hey Garbielle!

I’m glad you had a good time during the weekend :).

This Drop Box movie seems really touching and well made, I will keep an eye on it to watch it when it’s possible, thank you very much!

And it’s great your brother-in-law is back (I saw the photo on Instagram), wish you some great family time at some welcome dinner!

Looking forward for more reading,
Julie

16 Shannon { A Mom's Year } February 3, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Oh my. I cried watching The Drop Box trailer, but I think I would have cried harder if I didn’t know that these children can have happy endings. My youngest wasn’t left in a drop box, but it was something very similar. And today she’s doing beautifully.

Gabrielle, thank you so much for sharing the link. And so happy for your family that your brother-in-law is safely home.

17 Carrie Corder February 3, 2014 at 5:09 pm

I love the photo. Wonderful to see a family that enjoys each other!

18 Landon February 3, 2014 at 8:06 pm

This picture just makes me happy.

19 CeeBee February 3, 2014 at 10:40 pm

This picture makes me want to have four more children. Amazing!