A Few Things

January 24, 2014

Grand America Hotel

Image and text by Gabrielle.

Hello, Friends. How are you doing? I am writing to you from Alt Summit. Exhausted but happy. Man oh man, I want to share every detail with you! The people I’ve met, the things I’ve learned, the parts that have surprised me, the parts that have inspired me. But at the same time, I also like to hold the whole experience in my head for a few days and mull it over before I let it all spill out.

I was sure I would check in with you guys and write a post yesterday — and catch up on comments too. But my conference duties took over and I didn’t make it back to my room (and laptop) until after midnight. A big day!

Today will be another big day — for the closing keynote this afternoon, I’m interviewing Ben Silbermann, the founder of Pinterest. Which I’m very much looking forward to. Which is an understatement!

And then I get to wake up tomorrow and catch my breath. : )

While I get set for the new day, here are a few things that you might enjoy:

- Awhile back I mentioned that people don’t refrigerator their eggs in France, and here’s an explanation whyThanks, Helen.

- Are you a snooper? (When is the last time you peeked? Also: language warning on this one!)

- Or maybe you’re a runner? (Here are five reasons you should be!)

This is the prettiest and realest look at 6:23 am, don’t you think?

- I would like to make this for lunch. And dinner. It looks so refreshing.

- An adventurous nursery for baby.

Tears! Not what I expected.

- Silly but made me laugh.

- Say Yes to Hoboken is now Say Yes!

I hope you have a wonderful weekend. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. — If you’d like to see what I’m up to at Alt Summit, feel free to check out my Instagram feed. Or you can follow along at the #altsummit hashtag.

{ 1 trackback }

Birch + Bird Vintage Home Interiors » Blog Archive » Alt Summit 2014: A Brief Recap
January 29, 2014 at 1:01 am

1 Erin January 24, 2014 at 8:46 am

FYI for those sensitive to these things, the article on snooping has quite a bit of crass language and devolves into some rather explicit content, IMHO.

2 Design Mom January 24, 2014 at 7:18 pm

Oh no! In my conference fog I totally forgot. I meant to put a little warning there. Will add one now. Thanks for the reminder!

3 Christy@SweetandSavoring January 24, 2014 at 9:46 am

Beautiful photo, Gabrielle! Sort of wish I was there right now! Looking forward to hearing all about Alt and have fun catching your breath when it’s all over :)

4 Brimful January 24, 2014 at 10:52 am

Your IG feed has been so fun to watch this week. Attending Alt Summit is now on my list of things to do :). That’s a very nice article on running…thanks! Hope you get some good rest after the events are done :). xoxo, Annie

5 Design Mom January 27, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Ben Blair and I were joking last night that I need a vacation immediately following Alt Summit. It wears me out! But really, I like to get right back to work and apply what I’ve learned.

6 Katie Harding January 24, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Looks like you have been a busy bee! Love catching up on all of the exciting things you have learned, thanks!

7 Shanna January 24, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Hi! Since you are fresh from the world of people who share themselves and ideas online.. I wondered if you could answer a question about our social selves and work lives online? I feel self conscious and shy about sharing myself online. I am private by nature and so I am amazed at your lovely openness. As the world moves toward sharing with strangers through various platforms, how does one overcome the insecurity and shyness of sharing oneself online? I feel a bit like a fish out of water..most people seem to LOVE so share themselves online! I wonder if you struggle a bit because of your chat about selfies? I also feel hesitant because when you are addressing so many people at once it is so easy to offend without realizing. When you have time..love to hear your thoughts! I have recently joined Facebook and am slowly dipping my toe in and would love advice, rules, etiquette for what feels like the wild west of communication.

8 Design Mom January 27, 2014 at 2:08 pm

Hi Shanna! I love your comment and think this topic would make for a great blog post. I’ll make a note of it.

In the meantime, my first instinct is that it totally varies from person to person. I see it with movie stars. Some seem to love living in the spotlight and there are others we never really her about — I’m assuming because they say no to every interview.

9 Tricia January 24, 2014 at 6:13 pm

I agree with Erin about the Snoops link. This link was a bit more crass and explicit that the usual reads that are posted. Please make a note next to the link on the main page that this article contain such items.

10 Design Mom January 27, 2014 at 2:08 pm

Note made. Thanks for letting me know, Tricia.

11 Julie January 24, 2014 at 8:25 pm

The egg link was worth it for the comment section alone. Hilarious.

12 Sally from Little Hiccups January 25, 2014 at 12:16 am

The egg article was an interesting read. When I first moved to California from Australia I couldn’t find eggs in my local supermarket and it was driving me crazy. No matter which aisle I went down I just could not find eggs – until, I gave up and went to the refrigerator section for something else and there they were!
Eggs are not sold refrigerated at all in Australia. Many people keep them in the fridge after purchasing them but they’re always just kept on the shelf in the supermarket. And sometimes eggs in Australia have a little chicken poo on them, but so what: you don’t eat the shells! Unless of course, you’re my 6 year old daughter who for some crazy reason loves eating egg shell! I know, she’s weird ;)
I haven’t noticed any difference in the average expiry date stamped on egg cartons in either country so it doesn’t seem that refrigerating them commercially makes them last longer.
What I have definitely noticed is different though is that egg shells in America seem to be much, much weaker than those in Australia. I guess it’s all that cleaning. My German and English friends here have noticed the same thing.
Then again, maybe it just that the eggs comes from a different type of chicken. For ages I was convinced (as many non-Americans are) that American eggs are bleached to make them white. We don’t get those super white eggs in Australia. But then I found out they just come from a different variety of chicken (Foghorn Leghorn’s variety, I believe). I still can’t bring myself to buy them though – brown eggs just seem healthier for some reason. Like brown bread!

13 Design Mom January 27, 2014 at 2:09 pm

Eggs have been such a challenge for me since we moved back. We’ve heard there is a woman in our neighborhood who keeps chickens and sells eggs, but I’ve yet to meet her.

14 elita walker January 26, 2014 at 12:55 am

Just a quick note of thanks for putting together Alt Summit SLC. I met you [slash] finally had the courage to exchange a few words (today, as you were checking out of GA) AND had chance to chat with your sister, Sara, last night at the mini-parties. I don’t want to wax poetic but…for a “baby blogger” who’s looking to carve out a sliver of happiness for herself and looking for the courage to step out on faith and the power of her own talent, Alt Summit is an incredible boost. It’s 3AM on the East Coast…and, I’ve spent the few hours since my plane landed,working to apply the lessons learned. Can’t wait to learn, share, grow, and shake a tail feather with the wonderful community you’ve (all) built, once again.

15 Design Mom January 27, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Thank you kindly for the note, Elita. So glad you enjoyed yourself! Thank you for saying hello as I was checking out.

16 Julie Kinnear January 26, 2014 at 5:50 am

The Guardian article on running just got me wanting to go for a run. Take care and don’t forget to share the rest of the conference with us while I go jogging!

17 dawn s. January 26, 2014 at 2:40 pm

ahhhh that grapefruit/avo salad looks SO refreshing!!

18 Quiana January 27, 2014 at 9:03 am

“I also like to hold the whole experience in my head for a few days and mull it over before I let it all spill out.” – THIS! Thank you so much for such an amazing 4 days. Truly life-changing and can’t wait to fully spill the beans to my online and offline friends about my experience.

19 Design Mom January 27, 2014 at 2:11 pm

I can’t wait to hear your report(s), Quiana! I love hearing that it was a life-changing experience for you.

20 fromutahwithlove January 27, 2014 at 9:47 am

I did follow along on insta. It all looked so fun! Amazing, amazing creativity that flowed out of that place. It killed me to only live twenty minutes away. Dang! next year.