A Few Things

January 10, 2014

foggy morning

Image and text by Gabrielle.

Hello, Friends! Here I am wrapping up the first week of the new 2014 format and I’m feeling so good about things! Thank you for engaging in the comment sections and taking part in the conversations. I loved reading what you had to say!

Oscar’s birthday was yesterday, and we celebrated with breakfast in bed and cake + presents after dinner, but because yesterday was a school night, we decided to save some of the celebrating for today. As soon as school gets out, the whole family is headed into San Francisco to meet the cousins and do touristy things on Fisherman’s Wharf — Oscar hasn’t seen the seals, or played at the vintage arcade, and he hasn’t taken a cable car ride yet! He’s so excited, he can barely contain himself. How about you? Any fun plans for the weekend?

As soon as I hit publish, I’ll turn my attention to Alt Summit tasks that are waiting for me, but not before leaving you with a few things I’ve wanted to share:

- This little story from Bill Murray about Gilda Radner made me happy.

- Wow. Wow. The best 3-D printed object I’ve ever seen. Thanks, Ginna.

- Ethiopia’s Simien Mountains. Stunning.

- Last fall, I went to the HQ of Cricut and learned about some big stuff they have going on and I only have to keep the secret for a bit longer — because they’re making the announcement this month! Go here to see a teaser, and sign up for their email list so you won’t miss the big news.

- Another compelling video about the overwhelming presence of smart phones in our lives. Thanks, Azra.

- A country where 40% of the wealth is held by 1% of the population? Sounds like an old-school monarchy. But it’s the U.S.! This was shocking to me.

- They’re not twins, but they sure look like it.

- Some CaféMom room tours I haven’t shared with you yet:
A bedroom for two that will make your kids feel like they’re at camp. A nursery all in white, with rainbow pops of color. And another nursery with a focus on thrift store finds.

- Have you put your holiday decorations away yet? Then let’s get right to Valentine’s Day! Here are 20 ideas for decking out your house for the day of love.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend, I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. — We had the most lovely fog yesterday morning. I snapped the picture at top right after the kids went off to school. It’s looks black and white, but it’s really in full color!

{ 1 trackback }

A Few Things | Jerbelle Lau
January 10, 2014 at 12:55 pm

1 Jessie January 10, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Give my regards to the Musee Mecanique! I love their film photobooths and the large music machines (can’t remember what they are called). So many fun things to try there! And Happy Birthday, Oscar!

2 Robin January 10, 2014 at 5:23 pm

oh wow, I love that place. It is my favorite memory of my one trip to San Francisco. I cannot wait to visit again someday!

3 Caitlin January 10, 2014 at 3:37 pm

That video about the distribution of wealth blew. my. mind. I knew it was bad, but I had no idea just how bad! Thanks so much for sharing.

4 Robin January 10, 2014 at 5:26 pm

That “twins” photo story, wow! I have always been fascinated by how much two complete strangers can look alike. And now I’m a mom of 15 month old twins :-) Which brings many more fascinating ideas into play. I never knew there was so much to learn about twins until I had them. Or that it could be so confusing to tell if they are really identical or not.

5 Patty Boone Pysher January 10, 2014 at 6:35 pm

Oh G! I could smell the eucalyptus as soon as i saw your pic! The fog is magical isn’t it? One day you must get atop the ridge above Berkeley and watch it tumble into the bay and settle in over SF for the evening. This time of year is so wild weather wise around the Bay and up into The Sierras. It’s about the only time of year there is “weather” around that neck of the woods! Glad you are feeling better and settling in to the new digs. Also really glad to have just you back..not that the others weren’t fun but you are special. :)

6 My January 10, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Love your Friday posting…always looking forward to them. The twin story amazing… My husband is a twin so he enjoyed it. Also, love the new 2014 format. Thank you.

By the way who won the iPad mini? Just wondering??

7 Teresa (Gie Byb) January 11, 2014 at 7:25 am

I checked out every link – heartfelt, intriguing, beautiful, shocking, compelling, fun, inspiring and never disappointed!!!!

8 Teresa (Gie Byb) January 11, 2014 at 7:28 am

Also amazed by the photograph you captured – I thought for sure it was a black & white – beautiful!!!

9 Erin January 11, 2014 at 8:17 am

Gabby, I think what you are calling seal are really sea lions. Sea Lions have ears and walk up on their flippers. They also bark really loudly.

10 Brimful January 11, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Catching up on posts from your blog today…I really like your new format too :). Ralph’s London episode is fantastic…what a cool “kid” he must be! Happy birthdaying :).

11 Genevieve January 11, 2014 at 5:47 pm

First of all, that volcano cake looks amazing! What kid wouldn’t love that?
Loved the Bill Murray short story, so heart warming and sad at the same time! Also all of these CaféMom tours are great! Loved the camp room and the rainbow nursery is so sweet! Do you know where that cool bear rug is from? Thanks!

12 Ann January 11, 2014 at 7:49 pm

I really love your new outlook for 2014. I loved the Gilda story and the camp room for kids. Thanks for all the goodies you find.

13 Sandi Hemming January 11, 2014 at 9:53 pm

The wealth statistics are misleading. Add to the poor the overnment-provided rent, food, medical, etc. also, CEO’s of global companies do not get total income from
US!

14 Melissa January 13, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Assuming all the poor get government supplied anything is a false concept and doesn’t hold with the actual numbers. Not everyone who is poor is able to or even wants to be on assistance.

15 Julie January 13, 2014 at 11:29 am

A quote from my favorite economics professor:

I’d say that the bottom 99%, and even the bottom 20%, in the US still have it far better here than do their counterparts in other nations where such income inequality is not allowed by activist governments. When one redistributes the pie away from those who contribute this most toward its production, you will naturally get far less pie produced (and slower technological growth toward making more and better pie in the future).

I don’t disagree that our income distribution today doesn’t look good—I worry, however that policies that would try to correct this “injustice” would result in slower growth, less economic opportunity for all, and when one looks 20, 30, or 50 years down the road, a society where not only are the rich worse off, but so are the poor, compared to what they otherwise would have been. In the short run redistribution creates winners and losers, but in the long run, I fear it creates only losers.

16 Sabrina January 13, 2014 at 8:09 pm

I loved the Gilda Radner story! My aunt Sandy loved her so and would often do impersonations of her. Sandy passed away a few years ago, and I know that she would’ve got a huge kick out of Bill Murray’s last memory of Gilda…

17 cheap ar insurance you can buy today March 7, 2014 at 7:12 am

I found myself nodding my noggin all the way through.