Wedding Traditions

December 11, 2013

Fulton & Co Fulton & Co bridal crowns

By Koseli. Images by of bridal crowns by Fulton & Co.

For those of you who are married, what was that one special thing you wore, carried, or did on your wedding day? And for those of you who are planning weddings, have you bookmarked any particular ideas?

I can be quite a sentimental person so I’m sure there were many special things I did for my wedding day that I honestly don’t even remember any more. But one thing I do remember is this advice from my sister (that I thankfully took). She said: 1) wear lip stain under your lipstick and 2) wear fake eyelashes. These two things kept me looking fresh for pictures hours after we were married, when we were starving and dare I admit it, forcing the smiles. : )

Fulton & Co bridal crowns fulton and co bridal crown

I’d love to hear about your wedding memories. Plus I’m curious: did you (or will you) follow the old-new-borrowed-blue rhyme? (Is it crazy that I don’t even remember if I did? It was a blur!)

P.S. — Few things make me wish I could redo my wedding, but these ceramic bridal crowns are one of them. Each tiny flower is shaped by hand. This is the kind of wedding purchase that is an investment. It certainly would be an heirloom for generations.

{ 1 trackback }

Friday Wedding Inspiration |
December 13, 2013 at 7:47 am

1 Kimberly December 11, 2013 at 8:47 am

I had a very small wedding–40 people!–so everything was handmade and sentimental. I do hope that one tradition was started at our wedding for my sisters and daughters to emulate. My sister, an accomplished speaker, recited “i carry your heart” by e. e. cummings. It was so lovely! It was my grandparent’s 60th wedding anniversary, and she spoke right to them. I’ll never forget that moment.

2 Lana Cole December 11, 2013 at 8:54 am

We were so starved after the ceremony and photos and we had a 2 hour drive to the reception. We stopped in at In-N-Out in full wedding garb and ate lunch. We were so hungry we didn’t even take a photo, but now I wish I had. Haha. Everyone there was really surprised to see us.

3 Design Mom December 11, 2013 at 9:43 am

Fantastic, Lana! I would have loved to be a fellow In-N-Out customer that day.

4 Connie December 11, 2013 at 8:56 am

I did do the Old-new-borrowed-blue-penny in your shoe tradition.
My old was a piece of my mom’s veil lace edge tied around my bouquet, new was the dress itself, borrowed was an emerald ring that belonged to my aunt (who was the only other artist in the family aside from myself, but passed away when I was 3), blue was a small ribbon threaded through my garter, and the penny was taped to the underside of my wedding shoe.
A tradition that we started on our wedding day and continued since was that we wrote each other a letter on our wedding day (which we read after the fact), and every year on our anniversary, we write each other another letter, talking about the past year. We keep them in a little box. We’ve only been married five years, and already those letters hold so much of our history. How beautiful it will be when we’ve been married for decades. :)

5 Amy3 December 11, 2013 at 11:39 am

I love this idea of writing letters to each other every year. That’s wonderful! What a treat to look back over your years together.

6 Reagan December 11, 2013 at 9:12 am

In our family we do something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue, and a sixpence in your shoe. We have a very old family sixpence that we have all used.

7 Lori December 11, 2013 at 10:13 am

We had a very small wedding with just 25 people. It was simple, and no fuss. We joke that the family tradition is a shoestring budget! I did carry my great grandmothers handkerchief with a fan down the aisle in lieu of flowers. It wasn’t anything that was done before, but I thought it would be nice to carry a piece of my far-away family with me. Now, I hope that my children may do the same.

8 Karla December 11, 2013 at 10:18 am

I often see ideas and think “I wish I had done that!” Crafts, pictures, etc…. but then I suppose that list is potentially never-ending.

A relative gave me a penny to put in my shoe, which was sweet. And though I wasn’t trying to keep to wearing something blue, it’s my favorite color, and I had a blue panel added to the back of my dress when it was altered.

I didn’t bother getting my hair and makeup done – though I’m sure it would have helped! – and preferred thinking about the other details. We honored our parents/grandparents with a special seating area in the front, and since it was the same year as my grandparents’ 60th anniversary we honored them at our reception.

We did get some beautiful pictures taken and I’m glad my parents offered to pay for them. We also put disposable cameras on the tables and it was really fun seeing the shots people got at the reception.

9 Ashley in MD December 11, 2013 at 11:17 am

I wore false lashes on my wedding day, too! I haven’t worn them since, but I loved how they made me look that day.

I did the old/new/borrowed/blue tradition, too. My grandma gave me her mother and mother-in-laws’ wedding bands to wear for the day, so those rings were my old and borrowed things. My dress and shoes were new, and my underwear was electric blue! I had a winter wedding and a heavy dress with lots of layers, so there was no chance of the blue showing through the dress. :-)

I think my favorite thing was our wedding favors, which doubled as decorations. In the months leading up to the wedding my husband and I bought over a hundred of our favorite books at used bookstores. I made covers for all of the books out of different patterned paper in our wedding colors and inside we put bookplates that said the wedding date, our names, and “Thank you for joining us as we begin the next chapter of our lives together.” We stacked the books with candles and flowers as our centerpieces and then at the end of the night everyone took a book home.

10 Design Mom December 11, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Books as favors/decor is genius. And the bookplates too!

11 Meaghan December 11, 2013 at 11:51 am

I got married in August and although we tried to have a small wedding it ended up being 100 people!! I didn’t do the something borrowed… tradition. I would have if I could come up with something blue! One thing that I am really happy we did is I included a “In memory of” section on our programs with grandparents names. It made my MIL cry to see her parents, who died when she was a teenager, remembered at our wedding.

12 Linda Neptune December 11, 2013 at 12:03 pm

The one special thing I did on my wedding day was marry my hubby of course! :)

We didn’t have any real flowers at our wedding. They were all made of felt and buttons glued around styrofoam. It took a good chunk of the planning time to make but totally worth it because real flowers die. Plus they were much prettier. I got the idea from googling “Felt Wedding Bouquet.” ;)

13 Megan M. December 11, 2013 at 5:55 pm

We got married at the courthouse with my best friend and her husband as witnesses. I borrowed a floral dress of my sister’s. We didn’t do the something old… tradition. I fantasize about having a re-commitment ceremony on a landmark anniversary and going the whole nine, but I just don’t know if that will ever happen.

14 Design Mom December 11, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Our 20th anniversary is in a year and a half. I’ve been toying with the idea of some kind of big wedding-like party. Fun to imagine even if it doesn’t happen!

15 Stephanie December 11, 2013 at 8:49 pm

I did the old/new/borrowed/blue at our wedding.

We did a lot of different things that held lots of meaning for us. Instead of the unity candle, we made sand art. The pastor poured in white sand to show that God was the basis for our relationship. Then each set of our parents (mine are divorced so there were 3 sets) poured in a different color. My husband and I each poured in one on top. I love that it’s slowly settled and mixed the colors as our lives have blurred together.

While our wedding was relatively big (200), I wanted to be sure there was lots of us stuff in it.

16 Moitreyee December 12, 2013 at 12:02 am

Could we see a wedding photo of yours? Please?

17 Gia December 12, 2013 at 7:50 am

Agreed! You can’t leave us hanging like that… ;)

18 Jennifer December 12, 2013 at 8:00 am

My husband’s family, from Guinea in West Africa, gave me loads of fabric, which I used to make a dress underneath a white satin skirt. During the reception, I bustled the white skirt to reveal all the layers of fabric – it was such a sweet way to honor our new family and still have the white-dress tradition.

19 Sharon December 12, 2013 at 4:56 pm

I wrapped the keys to our first place together around my bouquet. I can’t remember exactly why, good luck? Tradition? I don’t know but the memory makes me smile.

20 Julie December 13, 2013 at 7:40 am

I did the traditional something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue, and a six pence in my shoe. My mother made a point to get a six pence from 100 years before I got married to make it extra special. I still have the six pence in a small box hoping it will always bring us good fortune.

21 Kelleyn December 14, 2013 at 7:26 pm

My mother sewed a penny into the bottom of my dress!